hysterectomy - overwhelmed at all this... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy - overwhelmed at all this... hysterectomy - overwhelmed at all this...

Unread 10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
hyst.on Oct.21st.overwhelmed at all this...

Hi to all of you..I'm new to this as well.I've sure learned alot from this site.Well,Dr. found a cyst(mass) on my right ovary in June.So I had a pelvic u.s. and then waited a couple of months to see if the size would change.No. So then I had another and another.Now it is Oct.Say I have to have hyst. I'm 50 and haven't even started any sort of menopause.All the decisions and which way to go are just stressing me out...I guess I will keep the cervix and the other ovary if I can.Though they say best if all comes out at my age, because I will be in menopause within the year anyway.Less chance of having surgeries again.I realize if it is endo or cancer they will need to take everything.They are concerned because it seems to be a solid mass of some sort.So he said he will have onc. there just in case he needs them.I read on this site I should have a gyno/onco, the Dr. says he will have the best oncos. there is that enough?I also read about a urogyno.is that something I have to have?The Dr. doing it is the partner of my long term gyno. but my original Dr. says it would be better for his partner to do it laproscopic,plus possibly vaginally remove uterus etc.but sounds like it will be a couple of different methods. they will remove my uterus and the one ovary if that is what they can get by with. they think there migt be cancer or endometriosis and of course won't know til they get in there.I just want to make the right decision about the cervix and the ovary at my age. what is best.If no endo and no cancer I say keep the cervix and other ovary if they can?First I felt it all should go because of my age, but now the more I read and learn I think about keeping the cervix and the ovary if there is no endo or cancer, Can anyone out there help me with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM
hysterectomy - overwhelmed at all this...

I had a similar situation 10 years ago.
I had one ovary removed due to mass/cyst that proved to be benign. I was 45 at the time and wished they had taken everything out because I just now had to get it done. During the last 10 years I did go through menopause, but still had problems with the remaining ovary and my uterus. I just underwent a hysterectomy two weeks ago and am very glad I got everything removed.
I know this is a personal decision, but ask yourself if leaving the remaining ovary is worth the worry of another surgery later. Or the stress of worrying about getting sick. I hated it.
The doc would not remove my healthy ovary 10 years ago, so now I'm going through it. It would have been easier for me to heal and move on at 45 than it is at 54.

Good luck with your decision.

Julie
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:30 AM

It's different for everyone, but one thing I can offer is the suggestion that you get a second opinion no matter what. I think the docs know what's best as far as whether tissue is healthy or not. My logic tells me that if cancer is a possibility, I'd let them take everything. I had great advice from a sorority sister who is an OB/Gyn. You keep things based on the possibility of actually using them, that is, their functionality. If something is doing you no good, or may cause you more trouble later, better to let it go.
There are so many options now, but you don't have to make the decision all on your own. Make sure your doc explains the tradeoffs of keeping vs. taking out the different structures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2008, 09:43 AM

It is all over whelming and scary but be assured that your Hystersisters are here to help where and when they can. It doesn't matter how stupid you think your question is, one of us will have an answer for you!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery, have a safe and uneventful recovery whatever you decide.

Katy
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Hello there countrygypsy,

Indeed I can understand and relate to your concerns--I too had recurrent, suspicious cystic masses (hemorrhagic) on my right ovary over the past couple of years. My docs, including the onc. gyn, always took the wait-and-see approach to them, and in time (a matter of months) these would thankfully gradually resolve/resorb on their own. Unfortunally, they kept recurring on that right side, and that, combined with my heavy, prolonged menstrual cycles (adenomyosis) led to my hysterectomy in June at the age of 43.

While we might have opted to keep the left ovary, a cystic mass cropped up on that side just about 2 weeks prior to my surgery! It had not changed in size in the days prior to the surgery, so both ovaries and tubes were removed a well. All of my pathology came back benign. Interestingly enough, my docs chose to leave my cervix intact, despite a history of treatment for very early cervical carcinoma in-situ in 1989. Their reasoning was that all of my PAP's have been normal ever since that time.

I am now in surgical menopause, and cannot take HRT due to a history of pulmonary emboli--I manage fairly well by taking Black Cohosh, although the hot flashes do tend to be a bit bad at time (but could be worse, from what I have read from others!) The mood swings and night sweats seem to be at bay now.

I think that everyone here has given you sound advice, and I just wanted to relate my story--it really is between you and your docs, and ultimately what is found at the time of surgery. As your surgery draws near, and you think of other questions, remember that we are all here for you.

I will be thinking of you, and wish you the very best in all of this. I wish you the absolute best for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. Please take care, and please do keep us posted. s

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:33 AM

I had my hysterectomy in march and my doc left one ovary. By may I was in pain,cyst on the remaining ovary. I went in in sept to have the ovary out and I was so full of adhesions I had to be cut again and everything. Once again I have a 6 week recovery and I have NEVER been pain free since march. If I had it all to do again I would have everything out and be wrapped up in that mesh to prevent adhesions. Be sure to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. I am 51
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM

thanks so much all of you for replying.Oh,i'm so perplexed..So tomorrow I have the urodynamics done to see what sort of bladder surgery might be needed.i have been sort of a 9leaker) over the past 5 years. but not a huge deal.just thought I should mention it before this surgery.now i'm almost wondering if its best to not touch it at all.Anyways as far as the hyst stuff,I did get a second opinion from a dr. I picked outside of the practice, she did say it has to come out.i'm just worried about the other stuff.If there is no cancer or endo i'm thinking to keep my cervix and one ovary.However I'm 50,but man I'm a young 50!on one hand drs. think it is best to take it all, but I'm concderned about the benifits from them.i wonder if God made benifits from the cervix even if the uterus is not connected to it?And what benifit and how much is left with my ovary at 5o?does that ovary work for the next 10 years or as soon as I start menopause in the next year, does it stop?Then I'm worried is a good gyn that is great at laproscopy and an oncologist together, just as good as an gynoncologist?Please help me figure this stuff out.Also if I"m forced into surgical menopause I'm reading I should start with acream before I go to estrace or vivelle ,climara.I guess these are the ones closest to natural without going to a compounding pharmacy.I am opting for fda approved..The weird thing is I've really had no problems that led me to this point.I was coming home from Denver in June and when I drove home from the airport I started having this awful odd pain in my groin area.It was hirrid by the time I got home I was on the floor with it.Anywats next day dr. first thought you must of had a kidney stone sent me for ct scan found this thing then 3 different u.s. over the next 4 months.Now I am one that had the novasure ablasion as well for many years of very heavy bleeding, before that the hysteroscopy/dnc.I think twice.So now they say it may be endo, even though I've never been one really with any pain to speak of.I also had the ca125 done twice this summer.it was just slightly elevated. i do know that endo can also cause it to rise.SO guess I won't know what it is till I wake up.My big question you guys, seriously if you were a young 50 and no problems and they had to go in there, and found no cancer and no endo would you leave the other ovary and cervix?more feed back please help?Thanks so much God bless all of you
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Hello Shed, thankyou for sharing with me.i really like to hear about this from those around this age.So i guess you were now forced into surgical menopause.i looked into all the bioidenticals(compouding pharmacies) but I realized that the dr. also offers the estace vivelle or climara patch. They say these are also considered (natural) what ever that can really mean and they are fda approved.So I decided to go that route if I end up waking up ti this?But I read the other day that I should even try this cream even before these.SO who is to say?I do wish you all the best and hope you heal quickly and move on and have much fun and much life ahead...I'm so not a comp. person i'm sure there must be a way to spell check on here.ha oh well ps when you said you were in pain in may, had you had any sort of pain and problems prior to the surgery or did all that just start happening after?I'm wondering if this help me with my decision?I guess i was hoping for the benifits for my hair skin etc. from the ovary and cervix?If there truly is? Wish I could find out... you take care and I pray you will heal quickly
Unread 10-09-2008, 01:05 PM

hea to Boogie Down, thankyou for responding to me.you are giving me something to think about. (i suck at typing)anyways,had you had problems with the ovary they left before the surgery or not until after they removed the one.Trying to figure out what to do?Did your one ovary seem to help with menopause?I'm just bummed because I haven't even started into perimenopause or anything now I could wake up like that.Also I guess I could wake up with cancer or endo.Menopause would definitely be the least of the evils,but I guess you get that one no matter what.Hea maybe it will be a piece of cake for me?I'm bummed because my 4th little grandmunchkin is due in denver on the 18th and I guess I won't get to see my newborn for awhile...Well maybe God has a better plan,maybe 6 weeks from will be better for some reason..Well I do hope you heal very quickly and get on with this life God has given us ok one more question for boogie on down, did you keep your cervix?
Unread 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM

spshlkaryn,thanks for replying tell me,if you were 50 and a young 50 ha well darn it I am, if they get in there and find no endo and no cancer would you keep the other ovary and the cervix?If it is healthy, at 50?Keep in mind i haven't even started perimenopause yet or anything?What to do??i did get a second opinion thanks.She says it has to come out. But whart I do about the other parts, Iwish I new,thankyou for sharing with me.God bless, melody

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register