Should I or Shoudn't I get a hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I or Shoudn't I get a hysterectomy? Should I or Shoudn't I get a hysterectomy?

Unread 07-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Should I or Shoudn't I get a hysterectomy?

Hi all,
I am so glad I found you. I have large fibroids. The doc says that my uterus is about the size of a 5-6 month pregnant uterus because of the fibroids. I have one ovary.

Interestingly and luckily enough, I do not have excessive bleeding as none of the fibroids effect the lining. I do have some back pain all the time on the side of where the worst of the fibroids are that can get really bad about a week before my period. I do have some mild to moderate incontinence at times with coughing, sneezing laughing and, again, gets worse close to my period. I have trouble sleeping. I think one of the reasons for this problem is that I have difficulty getting comfortable at night. I am tired a lot.

Anyway, all of this being said. Would you go ahead with a hysterectomy? My husband I and I think it is a good time to do it and I wanted to do it on my terms instead of waiting for the symptoms and pain to become intolerable and more like an emergency. Also, other alternatives do not appeal to me as I have had 3 friends use other methods to get rid of the fibroids only to have them grow back within a year and even worse than they were before. One got pregnant when she did not really want another baby.

Would you keep your cervix? I am reading good arguments and experience for both sides. Is there a way for my doc to tell which will give me better support for my vagina?

I do not like what I am reading about orgasm. My doctor says that there is no research indicating that orgasm is effected after any kind of hysterectomy but based on my reading I am not sure I agree.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time, help and support.

RoseChilds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Re: Should I or Shoudn't I get a hysterectomy?

Hello RoseChilds,

I had an SAH on June 10th due to large fibroids that had caused my uterus to become the size of a 5-6 month pregnancy too. I actually had people say "I didn't know you were pregnant...when are you due!" I really hated that! Once I scheduled the surgery I told them "June 10th and we're naming it Wilson" (because my doctor said it was volleyball size). LOL I really got some odd looks.

My symtoms were: extremely heavy bleeding (I would bleed through an ultra tampon in about an hour, I would bleed through tampon and pad at night about every 2.5 to 3 hours, then gush when I would get up sometimes ruining the sheet and what I had on). I had to pee all the time. I had pressure in the pelvic area that was very uncomfortable but not painful. I had occasional twinges and pinches.

I did struggle with the decision to have a hysterectomy, but in the end decided that it was the best option for me. The doctor said that I could have an abdominal myoectomy, but I would be facing surgery again in 3-5 years because I would have fibriods again. I did not want to go through surgery again for fibroids (especially since my husband and I did not want more children).

After my surgery I realized exactly how bad I had felt. In addition to the above problems I also could not sleep at night (my DH said that I tossed and turned when I did sleep), my legs would "fall asleep" at night or have leg pain at night, backaches, bm problems, I felt extremely tired all the time (more than I do now). We'll stop there I think you get the picture.

I did research about keeping the cervix vs. removing it. Talked to my doctor and discussed the pros and cons and he left the decision up to me. I decided that the pros outweighed the cons for me. I do not regret my decision in any way.

As far as orgasms....sex is still great, but my orgasms seem less intense (I believe that I had uterine contrations and uterus is gone), but I do have orgasms just feels a little different. Very happy to still have a great sex life.

My advice to you is do the research, talk to your doctor, get second or third opinion. Only YOU can make the decision that is right for YOU. You are less likely to regret your decision if you make an informed decision.

Good Luck!
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Thank you Shelia for replying. I think you and your dr. were tight about the fibroids growing back. I do not want to go through a myoectomy just to have to get the hysterectomy later anyway.

I feel that I just have to decide how badly the symptoms I have now are really bothering me and how much worse I am willing to let them get. The next convenient time for me to have the surgery will not be until next year at this time.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me

Rosechilds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM

I woke up from my hysterectomy and had no libido.
I am in a great mood all of the time, hot flashes are rare, and no mood swings. I don't cry about much at all.
I can feel a little excited when we stimulate each other manually and intercourse is fine. It just is not what it used to be.

Just to let you know.

As far as weight gain, a little bit at first from all of the food eaten and the inactivity.
Once I started walking 2-3 miles again, I worked out for 40 minutes each morning and have lost 15 pounds since the hysterectomy.

Just remember: Food in, pounds on.
Especially, fried foods, carbs, pastries, desserts, pastas, cheeses and candy.

When I stuck to the salads, veggies, and lean meats along with the exercise every morning, I lost a few pounds.

My doctor said that there was nothing to support that I would gain weight after my hysterectomy.

As far as sleep: I had trouble sleeping at first. It got better with time, less food, and exercise.

My point is that think long and hard before you get a hysterectomy.
I you need one, fine. Just remember that your life may change a bit.

For me it wasn't bad, but for others it has not been good, in their opinion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register