What should your actual estrogen level be at ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What should your actual estrogen level be at ? What should your actual estrogen level be at ?

Unread 01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
What should your actual estrogen level be at ?

I keep seeing threads on checking your estrogen level after being on estrogen replacement. But no one ever says what the actual level should be. I've been on the .1 vivelle dot patch for a couple of months. I asked my doctor to have labs done for my estrogen level (blood test). It came back at 152. Is this good or bad, I don't know. I'm having some issues with breast tenderness and achy joints, wondering if this may be due to high/low estrogen level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Re: What should your actual estrogen level be at ?

Hi Rochelle!

My family physician who has managed my HRT for seven years explained to me that there is no normal, usual or standard level for all women. He said that women's needs in this regard are different, and -- on top of that -- each woman's needs vary throughout her lifetime. So, the estrogen level that I needed to feel good at age 20 was different than what I needed to feel good at age 40, at age 60, etc. And, those levels would be different for you or any other patient. This is why he feels that estrogen level testing is useless.

s,
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:35 AM

It's true that we all require different levels to feel our best. I don't feel that serum testing is useless though. I was on what should have been an appropriate dose of Vivelle Dot. I felt beyond horrible. When my serum level was finally tested it was at 4! It was a useful tool in finally figuring out that I wasn't absorbing my estrogen with that form. It may not be the definitive way to decide how much estrogen to use. I think it's definitely useful though.

Rochelle, I've heard that 100 or so is about average for estradiol level. Some women feel great on much more though. Some do okay on much less. If you're having symptoms of excess, maybe your Dr will advise you to cut your dose some. For me, breast tenderness that doesn't go away means an excess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM

My dr likes to keep it below 200. However, I feel the best when my level is double that. I think that some of us who take thyroid meds need more perhaps, as some is not able to be used (binding site interference between estrogen and thyroid meds).

I think the blood testing is useful to know if it is being absorbed. Like another poster, I was on high levels of the patch and still tested at post-menopausal levels (no estrogen). It helped me prove to my dr that I wasn't able to absorb it with patch delivery.

If you're not feeling like things are working, you could ask for testing and keep copies of those results to compare with future tests. Too often the dr says "you're fine" but you never get to see where in the "normal" range you fall. KEEP COPIES OF ALL TESTING!
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryrose View Post
I'm having some issues with breast tenderness and achy joints, wondering if this may be due to high/low estrogen level.
The achy joints could be low estrogen. The breast tenderness could be too high progesterone or too high estrogen. My guess is that your progesterone level is too high, thus exacerbating your low estrogen symptoms (achy joints).

What about trying to lower your progesterone dose and see if that helps? I would only adjust one thing at a time and keep notes of how symptoms change.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register