Bad Reaction to Morphine previously... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Reaction to Morphine previously... Bad Reaction to Morphine previously...

Unread 01-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Bad Reaction to Morphine previously...

So what are some options for pain meds.
The morphine gave me a killer migraine (thought my eyes would pop out of my head) and total urine retention - I literally could NOT go. This was after a hip surgery in 93 and I had to be cathed the whole time I was on Morphine for the pain. Then I had projectile vomiting with Demerol after they took the pump away.
So, I ended up taking Percocets orally.
I don't know what other drugs might be out there - any suggestions?
Also, during my hysteroscopy in 2000 and my tonsillectomy in 2003 (yep - bad after age 30), I bit the sides of my tongue horribly. Both times they said it was cause of the breathing tube. Has anyone ever done this or heard of this and is there anyway they can prevent this for my upcoming surgery?
THANKS for any info/advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM

Hi

There are definitely alternatives to morphine. If you discuss this with your anaesthetist prior to surgery, he/she will advise you. They always want to know of any problems and will also bear in mind your previous troubles with the tube.

Try not to worry ... everything will be discussed before your surgery.

Unread 01-31-2006, 01:04 PM

hrtofluv,
first off, I get sooo itchy from morphine!!! Demerol does nothing. I have taken toradol for pain (with my tubal ligation surgery this was the only time I had pain relief!) I am going to ask for it for my hyst in march.

About the breathing tube, maybe ask if you can have an epidural for the surgery with conscious sedation. (like versed) that way, you don't need a breathing tube. Hang in there! hugs Raymo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 02:12 PM

I had fentanyl in my pain pump after my last surgery. It worked fine.
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:14 PM

I am very allergic to morphine, I break out in hives...

I had a fentynol pump for pain control after my hyster and TOTALLY reccomend it. I have heard other women say they had this along with a epidural for immediatley after surgery and those together im sure would have been even better.
Unread 01-31-2006, 07:05 PM

I can't take morphine either and I had Dilauded in my PCA.
Make sure you advise everyone about your allergies. We discovered that I can recite all my drug and food allergies even when I am totally out of it on Demerol and gravol.
Regards,
Autumn
Unread 01-31-2006, 10:06 PM

I had Dilaudid after the Monarch Hammock and adhesiolysis..woke up totally pain free and remained this way throughout my hospital stay (overnight). Had Morphine with the hysterectomy and it did absolutely nothing for tha pain. Was finally switched to Demoral injections that worked nicely.

good luck
d
Unread 02-01-2006, 05:57 AM

I also, did not like Morphine. It made me too lethargic and anxious, Minimal pain relief. I stopped it after one day post op.Then when I went home I switched to Darvocet pills, and 3 days after going home, and took only Advil. I had a abdominal Hyster. and kept ovaries. so I have a pretty big cut there. My surgery was Jan 24th, 2006. Good luck! Linda
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:12 AM

When you go in for your pre-op, be sure to tell them about all your adverse reactions to the drugs you mentioned. Then, remind them prior to going into surgery and again afterward, if necessary. Any concerns you might have, do not be afraid to address them. They're there to help you. They really don't want you throwing up after the surgery, so they will do whatever necessary to accommodate you.
Unread 02-01-2006, 10:51 AM

I also have bad itching reactions to Morphine, plus the migraine. My doctor said narcotics give most people an itchy reaction, and the headache could also be from the anesthesia. I just remember it was maddening! My gyno said she would order an anti-itching med as well for my surgery next week. After my last surgery, I took Benydryl for the itch, but I had to endure the horrible migraine. Luckily dh is very understanding & rubbed my neck & head while I was crying from the pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register