Did I Over do it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did I Over do it? Did I Over do it?

Unread 04-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Did I Over do it?

Had TAH (vertical incision) on April 17. Came home this past Friday. Yesterday, I did quite a bit of walking outside around the house, visited the critters in the barn, and generally didn't lay down to much. By evening, I had so much pressure in my lower bowel (I have had diarehhea ever since my surgery) and "tightening" in the area where my uterus/cervix was (like contractions). I feel somewhat better today, but my nausea is back (had it in hospital) and pressure in bowel is much better. however, pressure in front is still there. Would this be ligaments etc just doing a bit of complaining or? Just wondering if anyone else had weird/uncomfortable feelings after overdoing it a bit. I am hoping to get staples removed tomorrow and I will be much more comfortable. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Did I Over do it?

Maxine41

I'm afraid that's definitely over-doing it! At only 6 days post-op you should be resting as much as possible. This is major surgery, with hundreds of internal stitches, and these initial weeks of healing are absolutely vital.

You may like to check out this HS article Too Much, Too Soon? and also Checkpoints Weeks 1-2.

If you have any problems or pain that you're concerned about, please check with your doctor.

Don't forget to rest up now and take care!

Unread 04-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Wow

Wow, I can't believe you're even up and about as much as you were this soon. When I had my hernia repair (4 yrs ago) and Csection (18 yrs ago yesterday- gulp), I could barely move for the first 2 weeks!

In my never humble opinion. Yeah, you probably over did it. PLEASE< PLEASE take this time and REST!!!! If you look through the recovery threads, you'll see many of us complain of this heavy, numb, tingling, achey (described many ways) feeling being experienced off and on as we heal. Almost always it's preceded or followed by a "I did this & this today for too long." You're VERY early out from a MAJOR surgery. Not only do you have the abdominal muscles having to heal but hundreds of stitches inside. Excess movement can cause minor to major tears inside that can cause bleeding. This bleeding adds to the scar tissue being formed inside which can cause problems later.

Two good references on this website you should look through. Checkpoints (pink tab at top of home pg.) and in the Articles link (on left) the article about adhesions. Checkpoints can let you know what to expect and what you should/should not be doing at each stage. The adhesions article tells you about internal scarring, what it does and how to avoid it.

Walking is good but don't over do it. You need to still be resting.
Sorry if I'm sound like a nag. I'm just trying to show I care (even if a complete stranger). LJC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Did I Over do it?

Yes, you probably over did yourself, as the other ladies have already advised!
But, I remember how hard it was for me to stay sitting down the first week I was home. Every 20 minutes , up and down , walking around the house, even going to an antique shop to browse etc. I thought I was gonna fall over after the window shopping, probably much like you felt after your outdoor promenade I was amazing how bad I felt in the evening from moving too much , and how the next morning I felt SO much better.
Listen to your body, really! It's something I wish I had been more attuned to because I pushed and pushed and paid for it with a lot of wicked discomfort by nights fall. At 10 weeks post-op, I'm doing better by respecting when I need to rest.
Now you rest up! okay? Best wishes, Robbi
Unread 04-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Did I Over do it?

Reading your post sounds exactly like what I am going through. I just had my TAH on April 16 and yesterday I was up a lot. I didnt take a nap but took a shower and got ready and went out side with my DH and DD..I just sat and watched but maybe it was all to much. Last night I became extremely pale and my DH even said I almost looked grey. A nurse that lives next door even said I did not look good at all. Today I have a little more color, although not much but I am having all those pains you described and the way I keep telling everyone it feels is like contractions. I guess we need to realize we are not superwomen and do as everyone says, relax..no matter how crazy it drives us!! If your like me sitting around doing nothing is torture!! Good luck to you I am off to the couch, where I am going to stay!!
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Did I Over do it?

Thank you everyone for your replies. Today, I am doing nothing but sitting, or laying on the couch. I am still sleeping on the couch, as our bedroom is upstairs and I still find it difficult going up them ... and since I still have to go to the bathroom throughout the night, I just park it on the couch. However, before I was fully awake this morning I starting stretching and I can feel my inner stitches are not happy. I don't get my staples out until tomorrow afternoon (10 days post-op) and am looking forward to it, and am nervous, too. A couple of the staples I can't even see now ... aahhh, so I am sure it won't be a pleasant experience getting those ones out. geez. Anyway, I plan on doing nothing but parking my butt for the rest of the week and see if I feel better. Thanks again for all the advice. I will checkout the articles suggested, too. Everyone take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register