4 days away. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-23-2002, 04:47 PM
4 days away.

I am a . I am feeling very nervous. I cannot seem to relax. I have been having a hard time sleeping at night. I am not getting anything done at home that I was supposed to do before friday. My house is a mess.I had a back and neck injury 3 years ago, and with the pain I have been having with the endo and adeno, I have had a hard time being able to do things around the house. My DH, DD. and DS have not been helping me around the house I ask all the time but they don't seem to understand. I am getting very I am worried how it will be after my surgery. I know that I have to take it very easy after my surgery but I don't think anyone will do things around here. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my family to understand that this is not a minor thing that the surgerry will be major. But I must say I have wonderful friends that have been takeing me out or inviting me for dinner just trying to help me keep my mind off of things. I am sorry for complaining, thank you for being here. I would not be getting through this without you.
sweetie1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2002, 05:30 PM
4 days away.

sorry i cant help you there. My hubby just pretends like he is listening to what i have to say. Everyday its something new about the surgery. I know I am driving him nuts..
Unread 09-23-2002, 05:33 PM
First things, first, Sweetie:

You are NOT complaining or whining. These are valid concerns you have and you have come to *just* the right place to let it all out!

Now, let's get down to business. First of all, I'm glad you have such great friends. Aren't they a joy?

I think you should just let it all go. Leave the house. Don't wash another dish. Don't do another load of laundry. Tonight, when everyone's home, stand up and clap your hands like a schoolmarm and say "I have an announcement." Go over to the TV and turn it off. Turn to your family and say something like this:

"OK. As of today, I'm on sick leave. I'm in pain, I'm scared, I need you all and you don't seem to understand what that means. Until you DO, we really don't have much to talk about. I'm about to have major surgery and I hope you *get* it before then, but if you don't, guess what? You'll get your own food, wash your own clothes, and pick up your own dishes, because I ain't. Now, I'm going to take a nice long bath and then get into bed and start on my new book. If any of you would like to talk about this, you just knock on the door and we'll discuss it."

THEN - tell your friends how you feel and get THEM to talk to your family members about taking care of you.

If the family still doesn't come around, well, Sweetie, just keep depending on your friends. Assign them each a job ("you drive me to the hospital, you come fetch me, you stay around during the day, you during the night and so on. Make it work.

If the family STILL doesn't come around, well, I just can't imagine it. My family talks about *everything* - every little slight, every little upset - because if we don't, resentment festers. We are all kind of very emotional. If my family wouldn't support me, I'd let them know how it made me feel in a minute and I'd be darn wicked about it. I'm there for them, they should be there for me.

I think your family just doesn't get how serious this is. Send them over to pelvicfloor.com. I went there and saw pictures of all the surgeries they do. Scary!

It'll be OK! I hope I have not offended you. Just trying to help. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2002, 05:34 PM
4 days away.

Oh man...who needs this!! Tell you what. Go to the home page and pull down the menu and find," FAQ for family members." Have them read the whole thing. Highlight things on pages 3,4 and 5 that pertain mostly. Sit them down and tell them that everything is now up to them. You are out of the picture.

Don't fret about the house...just clean your recovery room. Stock up on frozen food and fruit. Consider hiring someone to clean on week two if your family does not rally. (look up cleaning people now).

The house is not important but you are. Take this time for yourself. You only get one chance to recover and it has to be done correctly. Best of luck.
Unread 09-23-2002, 10:40 PM
4 days away.

Thankyou for your words of ecouragment, and understanding. I do not know what I would do without you all. I checked out Pelvicfloor.com wow I don't think I truley realized how invasive this really will be. I just got back from dinner at one of my female friends she got a bunch of our friends together for dinner it was great. I have had several offers to bring me to my pre-op on wednesday from my friends, now I just have to figure out who to pick. I think my family may be in denile as well. I am going to have a bath tonight I bought myself some special bubble bath, I deserve it. I also came to the ralization that as much as I would like to belive I am not super women. The cleaning will be there after I heal. If the rest of the family want's to live in a pig sty so be it. My friends have said they are going to speak to my children at least hopfuly they will listen. Teenagers can be so hard to deal with. Take care all of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register