High Cholesterol After Hysterectomy (2008) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

High Cholesterol After Hysterectomy (2008) High Cholesterol After Hysterectomy (2008)

Unread 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM
High Cholesterol After Hysterectomy (2008)

I am 6 years post op my cholesterol has gone up steadily every year. My dr. did a C-Reactive Protien test on me and I am at High risk for a heart event.
I am only 41 does this have to do with my hysterctomy?

Anyone have advice on how to get it all down? I has scared the poop out of me. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM

Hi - my cholesterol went up 40 points within 2 months of my TAH/BSO. I certainly think there is a connection. I am a little past due in getting it rechecked. I don't want to start on a statin so I've been trying to watch my fat intake and taking fish oil. I have also started estrogen. I wasn't on any last time I had it checked. Are you on ERT? I do think estrogen can have a beneficial effect on lipids and C-reactive protein. I know it's scary and I wish you well!
Teresa
Unread 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM

hi girls . i have been doing some reading and checking in to high cholesterol and i read that if you have high cholesterol and trygg and if you have had a hysterectomy and not taking hormones this can cause your cholesterol to go up . i am not taking hormones right now but thats about to change and my cholesterol was high . and i went on a cholesterol diet brought it done . but could not live that way so went off it . need to have another test ran .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM

I don't know what my cholesterol and triglycerides were pre hyster because I had never had that checked before. Doc ran "the works" at my 12 week check-up. I got my results back last week and my LDL cholesterol is 246 and my triglycerides are a whopping 289! Doc immediately put me on a strict heart-healthy diet and Zocor to try to bring it down. He also wants me to increase my walking to 5-miles, 5 days a week. (I have been walking 3-mile/3 days a week since 6 weeks post op.) I had not thought that the hyster could have caused it to go up. My hormone levels are fluctuating even though I kept my ovaries. Wondering now if that has contributed to the high levels?????

Diet is sensible - mostly fresh fruits and veggies, lots of tuna and chicken, switching to Promise margarine (omega-3!), and limiting my saturated fat intake. Sensible, but it doesn't contain some of my favorite snacks - chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, french fries, gravy! American Heart Association website has good information on diet, exercise, and medication to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides.

Good luck, girls. I know it won't be easy for me, but heart disease is rampant in my family and I know this will be good for me. I am already scanning cookbooks for some healthier Thanksgiving dinner alternatives!
Unread 11-22-2008, 11:02 PM

I am 6 years post op and the last year started getting my cholestrol checked. My combined cholestrol is 245 up 30 points for 6 months ago. My triglycerides are good but up from last time and my c-reactive protien is down alot from last time but am on a low cholestrol diet and a baby asprin a day. I have no history of heart problems in my family so I am hoping its just do to my poor diet. I am on Estratest HS I read some where that testosterone can cause an increase in cholestrol.
I'm more concerned I think than my dr. he did say anything just sent me a note on my results "your at high risk for a HEART ATTACK" Have a good day check it next year. WHAT!!!??? I am checking it in 6 months.
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Re: High Cholesterol & Hysterectomy

I am almost 1 1/2 hears post total hysterectomy and my cholesterol shot up just about 60 points. My total cholesterol was 197 (borderline high) and post H shot up to 256.

A gynecologist I consulted told me that Ambien raises cholesterol as well and I do take Ambien. However, I've been taking Ambien for years (actually was taking it when the lipid profile showed 197).

So, it would appear that high cholesterol post H might be a problem for me too. I did start a statin, Pravastatin at 40mg. I'll get my lipid profile checked again in 3 months. I'll post whether or not it's been helpful.

Thanks for the information, Ladies! Appreciated!
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Hi Ready2roar! I hope the statin helps! Pre hyst my total cholesteral was 205 and 3 months later I was 242. We sound a lot alike. I brought mine down to 173 with diet and estrogen. LOL! I have been a little bad of late in the diet department though . I'm a little worried it will be up again when I go in for my physical.

Interesting about the Ambien - I didn't know that. I wonder what other meds/supplements can raise it?

Take Care,
Teresa
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Hi Teresa,

That was news to me as well - that Ambien could cause high cholesterol. But I looked online and it is indicated as a "rare" side effect... but a LOT of side effects were listed as rare for Ambien.

And I'm right there with you as far as the diet - not easy! Good luck on your next physical!

Ready2roar
Charlotte, NC
Unread 11-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Re: High Cholesterol After Hysterectomy

I have experienced the same but I am trying a new OTC cholesterol supplement and plant estrogens. I just had my labs draw Monday so I will let you know if anything worked
I tried statins - not a good reaction for me...changed my eating habits and trying to increase exercise...
if anyone else has ideas please share
Unread 07-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Re: High Cholesterol After Hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE1591 View Post
I have experienced the same but I am trying a new OTC cholesterol supplement and plant estrogens. I just had my labs draw Monday so I will let you know if anything worked
I tried statins - not a good reaction for me...changed my eating habits and trying to increase exercise...
if anyone else has ideas please share
Blake1591 how did it go with the supplement and plant estrogens and your cholesterol? Was there improvement in your lab draws?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register