sleep - wake - sweat - gas - sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sleep - wake - sweat - gas - sleep sleep - wake - sweat - gas - sleep

Unread 02-25-2007, 11:22 PM
sleep - wake - sweat - gas - sleep

Feb. 20th TAH was only five days ago. Doc said my uterus was double sized and then the rest is a fog of information; something about endometriosis and ovaries and cervix. All I know is it's all gone and I'll learn the details on the 28th post-op visit. I'll get hormones then too.

I stayed two nights in the hospital (morphone pump first 24 hours) and the doctor offered for me to go home, which I was happy to do. I wake easily, and the constant blood pressure/temp visits had me wide awake and, holding my tender tummy, walking the hospital hallways. I gazed in at the newborns and someone asked which was mine. "OH NO...I'm almost 50! I just got all those parts removed!" It felt good to say. I would feel very differently if I never had children. Why do they put the babies and new moms on the same floor with other GYN stuff? I remember years ago haivng a miscarriage (blighted ovum - they called it a "missed abortion") and laying in my room sobbing to the sound of new mommies with their babies in the rooms nearby. It was cruel.

Slept well at home with oxycotin. Yesterday I sat in the afternoon sunshine and enjoyed the kids playing next door. I've been in a fog today and slept the day away. I stepped out once, got a dose of Florida's blooming pine trees and SNEEZED unexpectedly. Oh groan!

My stomach, diaphram, and above my diaphram are very tender. I had a real BM (say ouch) today and decided to take stool softeners on a regular schedule from now on. My hip bones, especially on the right side, are very sore. I imagine the doctor with his elbow on my hipbone, staring into my insides and deciding what to order for lunch.

Waking up quite sweaty, with wet hairline and neck and back. I use a little hand held battery powered fan to cool myself off, but don't feel uncomfortable with the hot flashes. I am usually too chilly and am 'enjoying' the change. I'm starting to feel one come on now. Wierd.

My personality has remained the same, upbeat. I noticed I don't like talking on my cell phone (it gets hot) and my friends and family are way too funny, making me laugh. My stomach is not looking swollen very much. A little puff above the incision, but that's it. My normal underwear are comfortable and today I stopped noticing any bloody discharge when I wipe after urinating. It never was much anyway and the pads I wore in the hospital remained dry.

I am tired of the oxycotin and changed to my arthritis pain medication today, tramadol. It takes the edge off of pain without knocking you loopy. I'd rather not sleep my life away with wierd dreams.

When will I be able to laugh, cough, sneeze, or have a normal BM without pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2007, 12:24 AM
home from hosp

Welcome home and glad everything went well. I had a SAH Feb. 7th and it is not too bad when I cough, sneeze or laugh but I am still taking stool softener. I was taking two pills a day and have just made it 3 pills a day bec the past two days I actually had a little more pain and a little bit constipated. Don't know if this info helps you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. P.S. I agree about the maternity, I also have kids but for anyone who wanted kids and could not it is terrible to put them on maternity.
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:59 AM
sleep - wake - sweat - gas - sleep

Welcome home! You're off to a great and healthy recovery.

I remember the day well when I sneezed and it didn't hurt. It was at the beginnig of 5 weeks (I had a TAH). Laughing took a bit longer but at the end of 6 weeks, I could laugh all night long with no pain. In the earlier weeks, I'd look at DH during a funny show and say "I'm laughing really hard right now", even though I couldn't really laugh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register