31 years old TLH/BSO scheduled and still some questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

31 years old TLH/BSO scheduled and still some questions 31 years old TLH/BSO scheduled and still some questions

Unread 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
31 years old TLH/BSO scheduled and still some questions

I have my TLH/BSO scheduled in a month (Aug 14th)

I’m 31 and have questions and concerns still about going into surgical menopause. I currently have awful hot flashes, pelvic pain, many hormonal problems, etc. Had a D&C a year ago to clean up endo and fibroids and have tried two types of birth control (neither helped) – a fibroid on my ovary has grown back and doc says most likely my endo has gotten out of control again as well.

My doc said my ovaries produce “bad hormones” and that the HRT will make me feel much better.

So, what should I expect post-surgery. Will the HRT make me feel better and rid me of the hot flashes and pain? I’ve been reading that other sisters have hot flashes and hormonal problems after hysto… so I’m really confused…

Does the body just take time to adjust to the new hormones. Will I see a difference after the adjustment period.

I’m single and live alone, my mom will be staying with me at the hospital and after the surgery.

What’s the average time most have to stay at the hospital?

Any advice for pre surgery or post surgery? Things to have ready at my house for my return?

I’m very thankful for this website. It’s allowed me over the last month to make my decision and feel very comfortable with it. I just have these lingering questions.

Thank you sisters for any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Re: 31 years old TLH/BSO scheduled and still some questions

Hi I'm 41 and had a TLH/BSO just over 6 weeks ago. I was told just an overnight stay at hospital which is the norm but I stayed 3 as my BP dropped very low. I had a catheter in when I woke and it was removed the following day and was not painful as all. I woke up from the op in pain but they quickly got it under control and I would say after that I had discomfort/mild pain from the incisions but nothing awful. My biggest problem and main source of pain was the gas pains and constipation. I made the mistake of taking laxatives which encouraged my bowel to contract which was excruciating, I ended up seeing my GP who prescribed movicol (miralax in some countries), this worked very well and was extremely gentle and my gp said that I should not have taken senokot or dulcolax which are the two laxatives I tried. Once that settled down I had very little discomfort and I listened to all the rules about no lifting/housework etc and have found having a hysterectomy far far easier than I was expecting.
I had breast cancer two years ago so am not allowed to take hrt so I was very worried about surgical menopause. As I was on tamoxifen I'd been having night sweats anyway as tamoxifen side effects are menopausal symptoms. Since my op I have had night sweats and the occasional hot flush during the day. I've had some broken sleep due to the night sweats but it's not too bad and I'm coping fine - I'm hoping this will continue as aside from those I'm no different than before my op. I have bought a fan for my bedroom for the nights. My mum had a hyster 6 years ago and also did not use any hrt, she has managed fine as well and she has recommended cutting down on dairy and she has swapped to lactose free milk which I've tasted and it's no different so I'm going to take her advice on and try it. I was really concerned about surgical menopause before my op I was scared of waking up a different person but I honestly feel no different. I am still off work but would feel ready to go back now but I had breast surgery a week ago so I'm recovering from that.
I would advise taking things very easy, don't overdo things even tho it's frustrating at times I do believe it's helped me have an easy recovery.
Good luck and if there is anything else I can help with please ask x
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:17 AM

One more little bit of advice, take lots of mints with you i was advised it helps with the gas pain. The gas travels up to your shoulder and is pretty painful so I ate lots of mints and also the nurses gave me peppermint oil in hot water to drink so may be worth trying to find some x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Thank you Sar71 for the advice and sharing your story.

Just hearing stories of other sisters going through the same thing makes me calmer.

I hope that your recovery from your breast surgery goes well also! Let me know how it goes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register