anyone had a misdiagnosed cyst? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone had a misdiagnosed cyst? anyone had a misdiagnosed cyst?

Unread 10-15-2004, 07:40 PM
anyone had a misdiagnosed cyst?

The Australian sisters are officially forgiven for re-stimulating my terrible childhood trauma . That was pretty funny!

Aussieone: Great question! That's exactly what I want to know! In the operative report, pre-op diagnosis is right complex adnexal mass. Post-op diagnosis also reads "right complex adnexal mass." I did get to see pictures of my ovaries. One looked fine, the other had a dark spot where the rupture was. The only thing it says in the description of the procedure regarding cysts is: "the cyst was visualized and irrigated copiously to visualize its continued hemostasis." So what happened to the complex adnexal mass?!

I'm really not too worried that it's still there. This doc is super hyper and has the attention span of a gnat, but I think he's pretty skilled.

He also forgot that I had severe dysplasia and carcinoma in situ last summer, and he's the one who did the colposcopy, biopsy and LEEP! He thought it was fine to keep my cervix even after I reminded him. He thinks it's fine to do paps every 2 years already. As soon as I have my 6 week post-op, he's fired. I think I'll demand another ultra-sound if he can't account for the descrepancy.

Glad you got yours straightened out, aussieone.

Sumer, sorry about what happened to you. Yes, it does seem that could have been prevented.

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2004, 08:10 PM

Sumer_of_68: I also had surgery for a suspected ectopic (tubal) pregancy. THe tube and one ovary was removed and when the path report came back and the post-op blood work came back it was discovered the it was a cyst in the tube and I was still pregnant. They explained at that time that it is very difficult to diagnose the type of cyst through the ultrasound - and the symptoms and pain play a large role in the decision of the doctor. I am now just 12 weeks post-op from a LAVH to take everything else that was left due to more cysts, fibroids and prolapse. My daughter is now 16!
Unread 10-15-2004, 08:47 PM

Thankyou for your forgiveness Margot!

I think it would help you to have that ultrasound just to sort things out in your own mind.

I guess we presume Drs have everything in their memory; but after all, we are just one of many patients they have, while we are all we have!

So this means you must look after yourself and have all your questions answered to your satisfaction.

Good luck and keep us in touch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2004, 09:21 PM

Hi Sisters!
I have a question. Are all cystadenomas pre cancerous?
Caroline
Unread 10-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Hi Caroline

There is some thought that cystadenomas can turn cancerous, because in some cases where malignancies have been found, there is a core of benign cystadenoma present, which suggests that the benign cyst turned malignant.

When pathology tests are done, Cystadenomas can be benign (it might be these that might later turn malignant) of which 60% are like this; another 15% are borderline - ie they have some features of malignancy but are slow growing and less inavsive and are usually curable, and the other 25% are outright malignant.

These %'s change so that as you get older the more likely it will be malignant.

There is an excellent reference I have found - if you do a search on this site for "borderline" you should find it.
Unread 10-15-2004, 10:36 PM

Wendygai,

You and I had our surgeries the same day. Did you end up keeping your cervix or not? How are you feeling now?

Margot
Unread 10-16-2004, 12:44 AM

Hi Margot,
How are you going?
Yes it's sometimes hard to believe it's been 5 weeks, the first 3 1/2 weren't that great thought I'd never get there!!! still tire easily not doing much a bit of cooking and folding laundry , actually went to do groceries with my DD today for the first time since op and now really tired and swelly been sleeping well since got onto my tummy at 3 1/2wks think that really helped my recovery, had that common hip pain until 2 days ago and it seems to be gone hope for good... Hope yor recovering well too , sometimes I think I've had it pretty easy a real blessing and best of all no regrets, I had evrything removed BSO cervix etc and had implant put in , it's really working mood is good and as my DH say's "Happy wife Happy Life!"
let me know how your doing?
s
Wendygai
Unread 10-16-2004, 09:58 PM

Hi aussieone!
Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked was because I had a cystadenoma on my right ovary, and my surgeon told me that it was a good thing it's out now, because it could have turned into cancer. I never doubted what my doctor told me, but I always look everything up, and when I looked up cystadenoma, all the results that I found were saying how they are always benign, and I just knew there had to be more to it. Thank you, your explanation made sense to me. And I will also search "borderline" now too, as you suggested. Caroline
Unread 10-17-2004, 03:50 AM

I had the opposite problem, my GP misdiagnosed my ovarian cysts as UTIs for a year and a half. It took a visit to the emergency room for them to be correctly diagnosed. They are out now and will never be a problem again!
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:31 PM

I was also told (and read other places) that cystadenomas were always benign! My doc also told me, however, that the *only* way to rule out cancer was by biopsy (done during surgery) and that it must always be ruled out.

I guess cysts are tricky. Hopefully us misdiagnosed gals are mostly in the minority. I have to remind myself from time to time that I *am* on a hyst support website, so by definition, something more serious and requiring more attention has happened to all of us here.

Wendygai, besides feaking myself out and driving myself crazy with questions that can't be answered , I'm doing fine. Can't really compare my surgery to yours, as I had the most gentle of hysts (LSH). I have all of 2 sutures on my cervix and that's it. I've got 4 small incisions on my belly which were glued shut. Pain is mostly gone, my swelly-belly is probably because of overeating , which I tend to do when I feel sorry for myself. But I do still get tired easily. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well and are happy with your decision. How goes it with the shoes and handbags during this time of rest?!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Margot

P.S. Saw my brother and sister at a birthday party yesterday and told them the "Maggot" story. They got a kick out of it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register