Peri, PMDD, frequent periods . . . Considering a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Peri, PMDD, frequent periods . . . Considering a hysterectomy Peri, PMDD, frequent periods . . . Considering a hysterectomy

Unread 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Peri, PMDD, frequent periods . . . Considering a hysterectomy

I thought I was crazy for even entertaining the thought of a hysterectomy for what I have been going through, but after reading the thread on PMDD, I realize it is not something that others haven't already considered or done.

So, here's my story. Until about age 43, I was a relatively well-adjusted, very active, quite happy woman. Yes, I always had PMS, but it was manageable and short-lived. Fast forward to 43 and I am a wreck. More often than not I have two (sometimes three) periods a month. Granted, they are not heavy - just a normal flow lasting about 5 or 6 days. As I approached my 40s, my PMS changed to PMDD and I would get quite depressed, fatigued, foggy-brained and angry about a week to 10 days before my period. Well, having two (or three) periods a month has meant pretty much month long PMDD. I have had to take time off of work (part burn-out, part month long PMDD), have been on a number of antidepressants, which provide minimal relief. I even got sucked in to going on Depo Provera, which just made everything much, much worse.

Anyway, I feel that the quality of my life is suffering greatly. I am a shell of the person I used to be. I have always been an extremely enthusiastic, hard-worker (have received 6 merit and exceptional achievement awards for my performance). Until my periods starting to become irregular, I could find pleasure in almost every day. I was pretty happy. Now, there are days I wonder why I am even here.

I am 46 and know I am in perimenopause. I have been offered birth control pills to regulate my periods, but I am so afraid of anything with progestin in it after my horrific experience with Depo and the low mood I am already experiencing. Plus, I worry about the risks of birth control pills in women over 35 (stroke, clots).

Anyway, I am considering asking for a hysterectomy. I had a doctor suggest that to me a number of months ago, but I didn't really think it was a viable option. I do have recurring cysts on my ovaries (but that's quite normal, I guess). I have an appointment with an ob-gyn on Friday and am hoping he will be receptive to the idea. He is, actually, the same doctor who performed my mom's hysterectomy quite a few years ago and she thinks very highly of him.

I would love to hear from anyone who has pursued a hysterectomy for these reasons (frequent periods, permanent PMDD, low quality of life because of it) and how you fared.

I am from Canada (Ontario) and am so happy to have found this site. I have already learned a lot by simply reading posts.

Thanks so much for reading my post. Sorry for being so long-winded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:43 AM

kezia, I'm from Toronto, and am 5 weeks post op due to PMDD. It's the first time I've been med free for 8 years! I am confidant I will be forever symptom free! I didn't have any physical symptoms like you are describing. Have you talked to your doctor about Lupron? That worked for me for 5 months, but my doctor would have had me on that for years if my symptoms hadn't returned(I'm his first PMDD patient that Lupron had stopped working for). You can be on Lupron long term if they give you add back therapy, but the progesterone may(or may not) give you symptoms again. One doctor said I could stay on Lupron wih just estogen added back, and she would do an endometrial biopsy periodically to screen for cancer. Good luck with your decision-I look forward to hearing more.
Almost over ( but now Finally over!!!!!)
Unread 01-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks so much

Hi!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. It was really helpful. At the risk of getting too personal, would you mind sharing your age? Also, it sounds like your most distressing PMDD symptoms were emotional and that is why you had the hysterectomy, or did I misunderstand?

Have you started HRT since your surgery? If so, how are you doing on it?

I think it is great that you are med-free for the first time in 8 years. What a wonderful and liberating feeling that much be!! I am so happy for you.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Kez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Kez, Nothing's too personal! I'm 44(and a half). The only physical problems I had due to PMDD was fatigue. Other than that, I had irritablity, crying, anger, lack of concentration. Before I went on antidepressants 8 years ago I was like that for almost 3 out of 4 weeks. I was good for 5 years, then for 2 years struggled to find a different cocktail of meds that would help when my symptoms returned. Then I was symptomatic about a week and a half each month. When nothing worked I went the Lupron route.
I had a total LAVH/BSO, and am on 1mg estace(estrogen). My doctor suggested I stay on that for 10 years or so. Though it hasn't been long since surgery, I've had no problems emotionally(and as I said before, this is the first time in 8 years I've had no meds on board), and no problems menopause wise. I hear some women end up having to adjust their ERT but for me so far so good.
Hope your appt. today went well....
(where in Ontario are you from?)
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Hey Kez,
Sounds like we have a lot in common also, I feel like I am hanging by a thread some days.. I have done the anti deppressants the HRT and suffer with frequent periods not heavy but just enough to give me all the PMMD symptoms. In other words I maybe have 5 good days a month. I just give up! I am awaiting the date for my surgery, however I am torn whether to remove ovaries or leave alone. Doc suggests leaving them due to going into surgical menopause and trying to find right amount of Estrogen (which again is not good for you) I understand how you feel. Take care and keep me posted on your decision.
Hugs
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Hey, I'm from Ontario, too!

I didn't have my hyst for PMDD, but it was one of the big factors in deciding to remove my ovaries at the same time, even though there was nothing visibly wrong with them.

What a difference! Not only did my monthly brain fog, rage and anxiety go away, I realized that things I thought were just my personality ie. being a loner and not very confident in social settings, were actually the hormones and not me. I am now very social and confident... and my mom says I was like that when I was a kid, before puberty, so maybe my hormones have been affecting my life for that long! Who knows...

I use a small amount of daily estrogen replacement therapy, at the insistence of my gyn and my family doctor, due to my rather young age. Doc suggests staying on it until about age 50 (ie. natural menopause age), and then trying to do without it, but not to the detriement of quality of life. I have had to adjust it a few times, but overall it has worked well.

I found surgical menopause a relief in a couple of ways.

One, I felt like I had "detoxed" almost immediately following the surgery. Although I had pain from the abdominal incision and was kind of weak from the operation, I felt great - lots of energy, no significant mood problems, and best of all, no pain - I'm sure that was a big factor.

Two, I see that my sudden surgical menopause is actually a lot easier to deal with than my friends' experiences going through it naturally. I have two friends who are really struggling with it, and have just been feeling a tiny bit crappier every day for years, and are now in the thick of hot flashes, increased PMS, irregular periods, spare tires from nowhere, migraines, food cravings.... I count myself lucky that a) I knew what it was, b) when it was coming, c) that it all happened at once, and d) I was starting from zero for treatment and didn't have to try to balance out madly fluctuating hormone levels.

That's my experience with PMDD and hysterectomy. Hope it helps!
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Wow Julie you give me hope. I have made a second appointment with the gyn to suggest the ovaries as well for when he books my surgery date. The only thing that scares me is the struggle to find the right Hormone replacement for if I do require it due to the ovaries being gone. He said I would go into menopause but could it be worse than my life right now? I guess I am prepared to take that chance as I am desperate for relief. I want to be able to enjoy life again and be that person I use to be. Thanks for your response it was very comforting
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi there

I'm new to the board so I'm just going to jump right in...

I just came home from my new OB's office and did a search about hysterectomy's and LUPRON as that's the discussion I had with my OB. I suffer from severe PMDD and migraines (well actually one long migraine I've had for almost three years now) and I've finally found an OB that is helping me. You're definitely not alone. I've exhausted all channels, medication, treatments (therapy, psychiatry (cause ya know you have to be crazy, it's not hormones... [male doctor of course]) etc. This OB finally sees the connection between my tubal ligation, my migraines, my PMDD and is willing to try putting me into a forced menopause with the Lupron. If this works then my migraine will go away, my moods will stabilize after a few months and we can prove to the insurance companies (and to her) that I need to have my ovaries removed at only 32 years old.

At this point my quality of life is zilch to none, so I have no other choice.

I just wanted to give you a little support and let you know I'm behind you!
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM

Well I am glad to know I am not alone. I am going through another cyle right now and am trying to find something to hang on to for the rocky ride. I did get my surgery date it will be April 8th. I am going for a second consultation with him on the 5th of March. I am finding the more I read the more I think I should get the ovaries out as well. I was also advised to try the Lupron first to see the results.. however once he knew I had the 3 prior surgeries he said to forget it and that I would also have to have the incision type hysterectomy and not the vaginal My quality of life is zilch to none as well Kimmellee. I am really hoping this will be the answer for me. Thanks so much for your support it means alot.
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:32 PM

If you'd like, I made an introduction post... It will give you someone to commiserate with anyway. Feel free to read it.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=326938

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register