I am so confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am so confused I am so confused

Unread 07-26-2001, 07:30 PM
I am so confused

Hi everyone. I want to say what a great site! I feel so confused on what to do. I found out in May that I have endometriosis. I have been having "severe pain" since Febuary. My doctor wants me to do the Lupron shots but I refuse to. I see no point on taking this drug with terrible side effects, then only for your endo to return after your six months is up. My DH just had a vasectomy in March. We have 2 beautiful children a 15 yr old and a 4 yr old. I am 34 yrs old. I talked to my doctor about the hysterectomy, and we have set the date on Aug. 30. It seems that when I had the lap done my right ovary was adhesed to my wall and I had very numerous endo on the ovary along with a cyst of 4cm. After the lap I felt no relief. I am in more pain now than ever.

My dr says he would like to do a tah/bso. I have spoken to him about leaving the left ovary in because it was clear. He said he would do that, but it would be a matter of time before I would be back to see him and further surgery would need to be done. He states he does not want to see me have to go thru another surgery. Any advice out there????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2001, 07:57 PM
I am so confused

Hi there - I was also so confused. Firstly you have to decide if there is ANY desire for more children. If not - I'd go for the whole thing including the last ovary - why keep it? I realize you are quite a bit younger than (I'm 47) but I had the tah/bso only 5 weeks ago, and don't regret it a bit. I'd been on the Lupron for 3 months ($1100.00), and went in to instant menopause. I had quite a few hot flashes every day, but they were barable, it really does help you prepare for the surgery.

I was given 2 choices before I decided on the tah/bso - the other would have just delayed the inevitable, so that's why I decided to go for the gusto - and get it over with.

Good luck - be sure to really talk it out with your family - you'll need total support and assistance during your recovery. I'm alone with 2 children, and all my family, friends, and boyfriend still don't want me to lift a thing.

Once you've made up your mind - it's easy!!!
Unread 07-26-2001, 11:47 PM
welcome

To keep or not to keep...that is the question...

Try doing a search on this site to see what other Hyster Sisters have to say about this subject...there are lots of ideas on both sides of the issue. I had my surgery at 51 and my doctor opted to removed both ovaries because of my age...that is her usual decision for women my age. However, had I wanted to keep one or both, I think she would have agreed. I don't regret my decision and am (luckily) doing just fine so far on HRT.

That said, if I had spent more time reading on that topic before I made my decision, I might have decided to keep them. Glad you are thinking about it in time.

Keep reading, posting and talking everything over with your doctor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2001, 06:42 AM
Confused???

Waiting is the CONFUSING time. The ladies in this website were the ones who helped during my waiting period. I spent a lot of time here seeking answers, connecting links, and writing down questions to ask my doctor when I went in for my appointments. I am so grateful still, I'm 3 weeks post-op and continue to get the support needed.
Ya gotta talk to your doctor on what you'd like to keep (if possible). I had made a decision to keep one of my ovaries cause I knew going in that one had a cyst. DR said he would if possible. Because both had cyst, they had to be removed. But he knew what I wanted going in and that's important. I'm doing well on the "patch" so far. So again the waiting and decision making is the hardest part...well that and remembering to REST, REST, REST after surgery!!

Hope this comforts you!

Peggy
Unread 07-27-2001, 08:08 PM
I am so confused.

I want to thank everyone for their advise. It really helps! I am glad to here everyone is doing well during their recovery. Keep up the good work.
Unread 07-28-2001, 09:26 AM
Let them take it out!!!

I just had a tah/bso 11days ago for endo and pcos.From what i was told if you leave in the other ovary the endo will grow back.Your ovary is still feeding the endo.You may get some relief but as your doctor has stated you will be returning to him to take out the one that was left.If i were you i would have it all done at once and not be worried of furture surgeries.Talk to your doctor some more and get as much info as you can regarding this before you make the final decsion.Taking them both out will be the best.Good luck.
Unread 07-28-2001, 10:42 AM
hey I am going through the same

hey I too have endo. and last year I had the lypo surgery and about 3 months ago I started having severe pain in my back a couple of weeks ago they finally said it was endo again and are doing a hyst. on me hoppfully next week I was supposed to have one last week but had a bad pap so now they are checki8ng into cancer but should have it real soon my dr. said the shots probaly would not work. and said he would have tot ake both ovaries or it would come back I was really scared and still scared but not near as bad after talking to the ladies in the chat room if u would like to talk e mail me look on here read alot and go to the chat room it will relive u a lot... good luck
Unread 07-28-2001, 10:09 PM
I am so confused

Hi kampro,

Here's another point of view. Though I initially had my hyst for fibroids, my Dr. found that my past endo had come back and adhered my left ovary to my uterus, and had to switch my TVH to a TAH during surgery.

My right ovary was found to be clear. I was 43 at the time, and my Dr. did not want to send me into menopause that soon, so he left it. If normally functioning, one ovary CAN do the work of two! A year later, I have been needing to take a little HRT to "help" the ovary, but it is still providing a small level of beneficial hormones.

The way I understand it, it is easier to supplement your own hormones than to replace them entirely. My Dr. also doesn't agree that you will "just have to get that ovary removed later."

For me, keeping the ovary was the right decision. Just wanted to share another outlook. Think hard before losing that "clean" ovary, as it can't be put back in later! With something this important, you might want to get a 2nd opinion.

My very best to you...

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register