never mind driving a car, what about my motorcycle? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

never mind driving a car, what about my motorcycle? never mind driving a car, what about my motorcycle?

Unread 04-05-2005, 03:44 PM
never mind driving a car, what about my motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally posted by proechic

As for the lady whose husband wants to buy her a 750 Honda, I just so happen to have one for sale, but it isn't purty purple. Smirk!
Really? What year, what color? DH took me "window shopping" for bikes today, and I was drooling over a Kawi Vulcan 750, but it's just a tad too tall for me... I've got short legs, and they'd rest right up against the high-mounted exhaust pipes.. OUCH! The Shadow is lower and feels better balanced. I've also been looking at the VLX...
For now, though I am glad that I have a scoot with auto tranny and step-thru frame. I think it will be a much more comfy ride as I continue to heal. Gotta get it inspected (just got the registration renewal in the mail).... OOOhhh, I hope she say's "ok" at the 6 week checkup...
When I mentioned it at my 2 week checkup, Dr just glared at me in a very disapproving mother-like way, and said "we'll discuss that at our next appointment! When I told her that I rode pre-op, she launched into a diatribe about how she couldn't do that, how scary and dangerous it was... I said, it's a lot more scary to me talking about you cutting me open and taking out pieces of me!
A HysterSisterBiker ride? Sounds great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Re: proechic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhereg
I had a LAVH. I waited til 6 weeks to ride. I am glad I waited. I needed to easy back into riding. Since you had a TAH, I dont know how long one should wait.

As far as the ride was concerned, my insides got a little upset from the jarring and moving around. I ached just a little bit after my 45 min ride. About a week later, I was 100%!

I should also note, my recovery was text book with no other complications or internal repairs and I was physically fit before the surgery. (This is just my personal experince.)
Similar story here.

At 38, I had a LAVH. No complications or internal repairs. Was back to work in 3 weeks, and back to feeling relatively normal pretty quickly.

I own a Suzuki SV650S, and got on for a short ride at 5 weeks and was OK but I probably should have waited longer. Stuck to short rides for a while until I felt stronger (until my insides quit feelin' weird). Now (3.5 months after LAVH) I'm zippin' around on my motorcycle and riding my horse like my LAVH never happened!!!
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:19 AM

Last night dh took me on a short ride. Oh it felt so good to be back on again. No pains or any weird feelings. Then again I'm just the passenger. Can't wait til this weekend. Its suppose to be in the 60s and sunny.

angiern: good luck on your ABATE class. I'm too spastic to even try. Clutching and shifting is not for me. Dh tried teaching me how to drive a stick in his pu truck. Ended up leaving tire on the road for about 100 feet OOPS!! I'll stick with being a passenger and just riding around our property on my automatic 4 wheeler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Wow! so many of us! I ride a 2000 Hertige Softail (Harley) I didn't ride for the 6 weeks after but am ready to go if the weather here in the south central mountains of New Mexico will quite being winter!

TVH 2/22/05 kept ovaries
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:29 PM

Hi to all,

I am so glad I finally found a thread for ladies on bikes. I wanted to let "Proechic" know that I am also from Ontario and that i will be driving with my husband to Port Dover on May 13, 2005. I had my TVH with A & P repairs on March 18 and doc. says I could start riding probably at week 4. I ride an 883 Harley Sporters which is also 600 pounds. Dropped-it twice last summer and broke my colar bone so we decided to get it all lowered. Wow what a difference, you can get it off the stand easier that lifting a basket of dirty close

I wanted to ride it last weekend but my DH will not let me use it yet! He still has it plug in the charger just to make sure I don't take off on it. Tomorrow 18 degrees, wish I could ride it out.

We are also part of a group and the rides are starting April 23rd, hopefully I will be with them. Very happy to see that you finally rode and that all went well.
Unread 04-07-2005, 07:53 AM

Riding as a passenger is a bit different than being up front I would think. It would be alot easier just because you don't have the wind to contend with. If it had been an option I'd have been a passenger first time out. Tell the guy up front to avoid those pot holes.

I've been out 2 more times since the first excursion. Getting moving sure has been helpful. Everyone kept telling me not to overdo it, but for me underdoing is worse. I am young and I was in good shape prior to the surgery. The recovery was uneventful.

I've been really working at holding my belly in. That reduces the jarring. Oh yes, and peeing before you go out! Smirk.
Unread 04-07-2005, 08:59 AM

I have one question about riding. If you guys drop your bikes how do you get them back up. I always wondered about that. I remember my dh dropped his Road King. He was able to get it back up but it wasn't easy and he's very strong. I see woman riding the same bike and just wonder how would they do it.
Unread 04-07-2005, 09:25 AM

Hi,

Both times my DH picked it up like it weighed nothing. But I know it is the adrenaline because each time he just panicked especially the second time when I didn't let go and fell backwards with the bike following (where I broke my colar bone).

I have never tried it and don't think I ever will. But for sure, I have learned my lessons, don't lean your bike when you aren't moving

I know they are even giving courses on how to pick them up (put your bum on the side and push it up with your legs).
Unread 04-07-2005, 12:18 PM
New to all this: How long before i can do a 7 day ride?

Hi ladies!! I'm glad i found this site. First off, I cant spell so bear with me.
My doctor and I have to decided to do a Hysterectomy. I have not scheduled it as of yet, we are looking to do it on April 26th if all goes well. I dont have all the details right now but I too ride (passenger only) and my boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Lacoina, NH. This will be 7 or 8 days on the road. He has a Harley Ultra..(very nice). What are the chances of me taking this ride after around 6 weeks post op??

Any input would be most appricated!!

Thanks
Marnee
Unread 04-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Re: New to all this: How long before i can do a 7 day ride?

Quote:
Originally posted by MSC
7 or 8 days on the road. He has a Harley Ultra..(very nice). What are the chances of me taking this ride after around 6 weeks post op??

I think the answer to this question depends a great deal on exactly what your surgery will be (Vag/Abd?), how much comes out, whether there are complications, and how good your recovery goes. My doc is waiting till my 6 week check before she even considers clearing me to ride, but right now, (4 weeks out)I'm still in quite a bit discomfort even riding too long in a car. Personally, and this is just my own feeling on this, 7-8 days on the road 6 weeks post-op sounds exhausting, and I can't imagine doing it myself. I'm shooting for making Americade in Early June (12 weeks post-op), and praying that I can ride the whole time... Listen to your doctor and your body... You've got to give yourself time to heal, and committing to a trip like this before knowing how you're going to be feeling might not be a good idea. Good luck, hope it works out for you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register