Patch Question | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Patch Question Patch Question

Unread 11-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Patch Question

So I now have a patch.. How does it really work with the hormones?I could not find any literature with the package. It may have gotten tossed with the confusion of picking up other meds at the pharphacy with my DH.My dr. told me bascially how to use it and % how it helps.. But really what does that piece of tape really do. Lots of Q today... finally really waking up Thanks Sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Patch Question

Hi!

I'm using a hormone patch for my estrogen. The one I have is Vivelle Dot. It's a very convenient method of getting estrogen--I just place the patch on and forget about it until it's time to put a new one on, which in the case of Vivelle Dot is every 3 1/2 days. Some patches, like Climara, are changed just once a week. The estrogen is absorbed through the skin and will help replace the estrogen your ovaries produced. In the right dose, it should control menopause symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings.

The adhesive on the patch is what contains the estrogen so when you are applying the patch, be careful not to touch the sticky part. Place it on your abdomen and hold in in place for several seconds with the palm of your hand. That will help set it and keep it in place for the prescribed amount of time. It's best to find a place where it's not going to be creased or stretched by movement and where it won't be rubbed a lot by your clothing. I choose to wear my patch on my rear, approximately in the area where the pockets of my jeans are. I alternate applying it from left side to right--never from front to back as that would cause fluctuating levels. By wearing my patch on my rear I get about 20% better absorption which works out well for me. Other women don't need that extra estrogen boost so prefer to wear it on the abdomen as prescribed.

If you don't have the package information, most likely you can find it on the internet by doing a Google search for the name of the patch you are using.

Good luck with your patch! I hope you find it as helpful for your hormone therapy as mine is for me.

s

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register