Riding in a car-2 hours; 3 weeks post op?? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Riding in a car-2 hours; 3 weeks post op?? Riding in a car-2 hours; 3 weeks post op??

Unread 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Riding in a car-2 hours; 3 weeks post op??

Hey, sisters...Need a little advice from your experience.

My family is having Christmas on Saturday, 1/9. We are having it late due to my surgery being on 12/18 and other scheduling issues. We are playing it by ear whether it will be at my house or at my dad's 2 hours away. My stepmom is sort of guilt pressing us to go there. I am not sure how I will feel riding in a car for two hours, possibly twice in one day. At this point, I have ridden in a car once (besides coming home from the hospital), and driven once, today. Both went well, but the road bumps and such were noticeable. It wasn't painful, just felt jostled.

Did any of you travel a few weeks out from surgery a few hours in the car? Is this a terrible idea?

I am able and willing to say NO and tell them they have to come here. I don't want to be over sensitive either.

Your sisterly advice is greatly appreciated.
Colleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Re: Riding in a car-2 hours; 3 weeks post op??

I took a 2 hour trip six days post-op to go recover at my brother's timeshare. I put a pillow over my abdomen and that helped prevent the jostling feeling. I stopped once to get out a use a bathroom and stretch. It was totally fine. I had a LAVH/BSO and bladder sling. I think if you are three weeks out it should be perfectly fine. It will be much easier on you to travel than to have everyone at your house.
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM

I had my surgery on 12/18 and rode in the car for 4 hours on 12/26... and then again for 4 hours to return home yesterday 1/3. The ride is long... I had to take pain meds... and stop to get up and walk around a bit... Also used my pillow that I bought here, and my abdominal binder. It is doable... not fun... or comfortable... but I am glad I did it because it gave me change of surroundings while I recovered. Of course the best would have been to blink my eyes and be there...

I suppose it depends on you, and if the 2 hours in the car is better than having to deal with everyone in your house, while you play hostess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM

If you had adhesions at all, I would not suggest going on a long car ride (or driving yourself for that matter). I had that on top of the LAVH with removal of cervix and was miserable after the two hour car ride (one hour each way) to and from my gyn's office for my two and a half week post-op check-up. Take from that what you will, but if you don't have to make the trip, don't do it--rest and let them come to you. If you feel compelled to go to their place for the holiday, be sure to take a pillow to put between you and the seatbelt.

Take care and I hope you have a good Christmas with the family!

-Selene
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM

I would use pillows also and take Pain Meds about 1/2 an hour before you leave! The hospital i had my Radical Abdominal Hysterectomy at is actually 90 minutes from my house, so that ride home 1 1/2 days post-op wasn't fun AT ALL!!! I just took my pain meds before being discharged, and held pillows all around me the whole way home! The meds made me sleepy so the ride felt much shorter. I have an SUV so the getting out was a little painful...so if you also have an SUV PLEASE take your time getting in and out!
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM

It really helps to hear your advice. I am sorta leaning toward making them come here. It doesn't seem like a good idea to invoke unnecessary pain, especially when I seem to be doing so well, and I am wondering if after a 2 hour car ride I will be too tired to enjoy the festivities. Ugh...I hate these kinds of debates-which is worse....LOL.

We are a fairly small group and very laid back, so entertaining them shouldn't be too stressful. And if I'm home, I can just say I'm tired and go to bed! I feel a little like a baby pushing back on this, but also find it ironic that Stepmom had a hyster years ago...and she is not being very sympathetic or flexible!! Truly, I am feeling anxiety over it causing a set back. I am tentatively scheduled to return to work 1/2 time next week due to a staffing issue that cropped up while I've been out. Just bad timing, I guess.
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't bother sitting in a car for that long. Sitting is just as bad as standing...gravity still has a pull on your tummy and you are putting pressure on the perineum. You need your rest and you deserve it! Oh and I went to bed on christmas day and left them all to it...it was fine!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register