TAH Is my doctor a jerk? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is my doctor a jerk? Is my doctor a jerk?

Unread 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Is my doctor a jerk?

I had my TAH on September 9 and today I had to pick up froms from the Dr for my work. It said TAH+BSO, which I had to look up. It seems that I had my ovaries and tubes removed. How is it that my Dr has never mentioned this to me and I only find out because of medical forms? I am a little angry that he hasn't told me this in his office.
Other than that, everyting seems to be going well.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Re: Is my doctor a jerk?

I do feel that your Doctor should have explained this with you after the surgery. My Doctor let me know exactly what was done during the surgery. Definitely don't think you should have found out during medical forms.
Blessings
Sandi
Unread 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Geez that is terrible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Jeepers! That's not good!

I had a TAH/BSO and was told clearly why, and at my pre-op. (by which time I had learned a little more from this site), I had a chance to question it and see if I could save my cervix.

I received a very helpful and considerate explanation, and then was resigned to all the whys and wherefores.
Likewise when about to undergo surgery I was told everything that was going to happen, and post-op. heaps of helpful advice to help my recovery.

Sorry for what you experienced - I think health professionals CAN be a little arrogant and presumptuous, as if we were not smart enough to be able to understand their explanations or procedures.
Unread 09-27-2011, 05:38 PM

I don't know what is up with some docs... I know with mine I had to ask very specific questions at my pre op appt. And I know if I hadn't asked he wouldn't have mentioned it. It's like we're on a need-to-know basis. He definitely should have told you your ovaries were removed. My doc saw me the next day and told me exactly what he removed. There was no big surprises from what we had discussed beforehand.
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Uh, yes. Your doctor is a jerk for not telling you.

Oh the other hand, could it be a misprint and that you in fact did not have your ovaries removed? I would definitely be marching right into that office and asking if a BSO in fact was performed. And if it was, raise hell because that should not have happened if you didn't authorize it!
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Wow! I would be asking questions and raising some hell as 2Xsurvior says! I am very lucky to have a understanding female doctor that will explain things to me like I'm a 2 year old if necessary!
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM

I would agree with calling for clarification . . . could be that someone just got overzealous with filling out the paperwork, or it could be that your surgeon got in there and found something with your ovaries and tubes that necessitated removing them. At my consultation and also the day of surgery, my surgeon said there was a very slim chance that he would have to do more than previously discussed (meaning taking my cervix and/or ovaries when we were planning on just taking the uterus) and one of the consents I signed did say that I gave him permission to do whatever he deemed medically necessary. (In my case, he'd done an exploratory lap a few months before so since he had already seen what was going on in there, he was more confident than usual that he wouldn't have to take more.)

Did you have a post-op follow-up appt with your doctor? And they didn't mention it then? I would be upset!
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:47 PM

The only follow up was at 5 days post-op to remove the staples.
My Doctor did express what a hard time he had because my fybroid was quite large. 15 X 15 cm. He definately didn't say anything about my ovaries.
I didn't have a pre-op consultation prior to surgery, as they were able to get me a surgery date with only 6 days notice.
I am in Canada so things are quite different here. I had "signed up" for surgery in February, and had not seen my doctor at all since March.
At the hospital before surgery I was required to read my original paperwork and confirm that it was correct. It was TAH.
I will be going back to see him on October 25th. I will be taking a list of questions. For sure!
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoRomeo View Post
I would agree with calling for clarification . . . could be that someone just got overzealous with filling out the paperwork, or it could be that your surgeon got in there and found something with your ovaries and tubes that necessitated removing them.
There are times when there have been clerical errors with paperwork and/or it is possible your doctor found more than he expected during surgery. Try not to panic at this point. Even though you don't have an appointment for awhile, you might call and see if you can either go in sooner or if someone can verify what type of surgery you had.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register