Its a really really bad head cold. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Its a really really bad head cold. Its a really really bad head cold.

Unread 12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Its a really really bad head cold.

I am sick. I feel worse with this cold than I did with the cancer. Now I wonder if my resistance is lowered after having gone through radiation and chemo. I work with children in close range in a pediatric clinic. I wonder how often I am going to get sick this winter. In the past I NEVER got sick even working with the sickest kids. Where is my resistance?

Anyone with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Its a really really bad head cold

I too had he worst cold of my life a couple of months after I finished radiation. It lasted a whole month! I did find something that I believe helps boost my immune system - New Chapter Organics Host Defense. You can buy it at Whole Foods. It's a bit pricey but I haven't had a cold for the past 2 years. Maybe believing that something works is half the battle. Good luck to you. Eat lots of chicken soup. anna
Unread 12-25-2007, 01:45 PM

What is it that they say so often on the post-op board? "Pamer the Princess, honey!" You deserve it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2007, 09:47 PM

DH and I have had a killer cold too. My neighbor had it for a month! I think it's just a particularly nasty virus, plus we're all probably a bit run down this time of year, running around so much, etc.

I hope that you feel better soon. I spent most of today in bed, not a great way to spend Christmas but at least DH and our boys were feeling better.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it.
Unread 12-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Just chiming in to say my poor DH has suffered with a "head" cold/sinus infection bug for several weeks now. He'll feel a little better, but then it just seems to hang on. He said lots of the other guys at work have the same thing.

I do imagine your system is particularly vulnerable following treatment. Try to rest as much as you can and push plenty of fluids. I always take extra Vitamin C and B-complex as well.

Here's hoping you feel LOTS better SOON!!!

s
monami
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Hi my fellow HysterSister and Pacific Northwest Neighbor! It's been a while since I've talked to you!

If you remember, I completed all my hoopla just about 2 months after you. I am so ready to be back to normal!! I finished chemo/radiation the beginning of November, and I am still far from 100%. I know I haven't been eating the best, nor taking my supplements and I am ready to get on the band wagon and take care of myself again. But, I came down with a head cold this past Sunday also and had to call in sick on Christmas Day (not a good thing!). I am so ready to be working, but apparently my body is not. I know I was running around doing all the Christmas things and not getting enough sleep, so voila...enter the cold!!

So some how we need to learn how to slow down and respect what our bodies have been through. It's hard because you and I both had the same regimen and the treatments were mostly tolerable. But...we are still healing and we have seriously been through a very tough 6 months, from head to toe, inside and out!

I know I spent yesterday just sleeping and it is literally one of the best medicines for us! After a two hour nap, I felt great! I need to go get one of those in today!

I learned this year that when I have a cold, my body wants me to rest. And I don't care any more how many things are on the list to get done....I am going to rest because I don't want to fight off bigger things down the road! And it's during those times when our immune systems are weakened, that the bigger badder things have the opportunity to take hold.

So let's encourage each other and all others, particularly women....when you feel sick, let your body rest and heal. Be wise and be kind to yourself, as you would to a friend. All the other things that seem important, aren't.
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:04 AM

Almost 6 1/2 months since surgery, 4 months past rads. I still become very tired. It hits me like a ton of bricks. When I talked to the rad dr, the gyn/onc, and the medical dr about it they all said the same thing. REST! Your body is telling you that you need to rest. They also told me it is going to take a while for my system to get back to normal because it has been through alot. All told me when I feel tired or achey, slow down take time out and rest. Could your body is telling you to take it easy and slow down for awhile because it is still healing..So, I have taken their advice. When I start feeling tired, I stop whatever it is that I am doing and rest, taking a nap, or just sitting on my rocking chair and drift to beautiful thoughts. Somehow this makes me feel better and I am starting to notice my tiredness is become less often. So far I have not gotten that virus that has been going around. Knock on wood!
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:54 PM
It has been nearly a week

...and still sick. My doctor has ordered some antibiotics because now I have the beginnings of a sinus/ear infection. I am resting but this is worse than cancer was in some ways. I just never got sick like this before. Where is my resistance. I am learning more about patience and going slow.

Thank you lovely sisters for your kind support.
Ilene
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:53 PM

I also have a cold. It is mostly a sore throat where I have to cough a lot and have that awful tickle. Wakes me up a lot at night.

I think this thing is really going around since I know several with it. I have just kicked back and stayed in the last few days. I feel fortunate that I have nothing to keep me from being a couch potato.

Hope we snap out of this soon.

Juanita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register