I'm new & nervous,my story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm new & nervous,my story I'm new & nervous,my story

Unread 01-04-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm new & nervous,my story

I am new to Hyster sister’s board. I have been reading other Post. What a wonderful site this is. I am going to be scheduled soon for surgery. A hysterectomy & also a repair to my left ureter. My story started back in October when I started to experience a burning, numbing pain in my right Quad Thigh Muscle. It would happen occasionally when I was working long hours & would go away when I rested. One Evening it went from burning aching to electrical shocks & pain & numbness in that portion of my thigh (quad). I went to the Doctor a few days later & was sent for a Back X-ray even though I told the Doctor I did not have back problems. The x-ray showed no back problem but did show what appeared to be a soft tissue mass on my right kidney. Well an Ultrasound & CT scan in the next few weeks showed an extremely large mass 8-9” in diameter located on my right side. Does not appear to be attached to either the Right Kidney or Ovary. The results also showed that my left Kidney & ureter are enlarged. I have been to both a Gynecologist & a Urologist. The Gynecologist after looking at Test results & x-rays feels that the Cystic mass must come out along with my Uterus. I will keep Cervix & Ovaries.
I had to go for a Kidney test (IVP) for the Urologist & it showed a blockage in my left kidney unrelated to the Cystic mass( because its on the right side) I went to the Hospital last week & had a stent put in my left Ureter. Was told then that I have a stricture that will need to be repaired by removing a that section of my ureter & pulling my bladder up to meet it. He will do when I have Hysterectomy. The Gynecologist got in touch with me after the Procedure on my Ureter. He has discussed my case with Urologist. My decision now is if the cystic mass is a Uterine fibroid then I will have my uterus removed with the Fibroid. If it’s on my Ovary I will lose right ovary, keep the left & I have to decide before I go in if I want to lose Uterus & cervix. Then Urologist will repair my left ureter. I had CA125 test & it was in normal ranges, so that’s why they think it may be Uterus related. But here is the Kicker to this whole thing. I have NO symptoms or pain or anything from these issues. I have regular periods of 5-7 days with 1 heavy day & Night, no cramps or pain if I take Pain relief at the start & only need to on first day. As for the Kidney thing, again I had no indication there was anything wrong there. No pain, no urinating problems, nothing to indicate there was a problem until the tests showed them.
I am nervous about all of this & as to why I would have no symptoms at all. I will be going for Surgery sometime in the next few weeks. I am hoping not til the end of the Month. The stent is not long term , so it has to be sooner then later. I have never had major surgery before & so this is a big whammy for me. I am not sure what to even ask or expect. I have had a few procedures done in my life, but nothing this big. Finding this site has been a BIG help already. My apologies for getting long winded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Hello and welcome

You're not being long-winded, you've given very detailed info which makes it a lot easier for reply posts as they can recognise diagnosis or similar surgeries straight away.

I can understand what an unpleasant shock you're diagnosis turned out to be, but it is good that there are surgical procedures that should get you sorted, but agree, it's a long way from numbness in thigh to abdominal surgery.

I don't think size has anything to do with how much pain or not we feel, some ladies have agony with a tiny growth because of where it's located, others have large growths that were discovered, like yours, when something else was being checked out.

I thought I had a kidney infection but I have cyst on right ovary and probable adhesions growing around my urether so I'm going in next week to have right ovary and cyst removed and adhesions dissected off.

I think it's great you are having a urologist and a gyn doing your surgery, I had bladder sling and cystoscopy during hyst and once initial bladder spasms settled have had no troubles there. I dreaded having a catheter and it was a total non-event. It was put in whilst I was still under, it never hurt and I could shower with it, mine came out next day but am guessing due to your urethra repairs your surgeon may choose a different timespan.

Not knowing adds to stress for many of us so any questions you have get back to your surgeons so you can absorb new knowledge and then decide if you are happy with explanation or want more info.

I'm sure you will soon have many more replies, and especially from those of us who faced first time major surgery with all the nerves and fears that plague our minds. We do cope, and this website is one of the reasons we cope so well, it is a goldmine of info. Wishing you peace of mind and successful surgery. Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register