1 Week Post Op - Advice On Some Little Problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 Week Post Op - Advice On Some Little Problems 1 Week Post Op - Advice On Some Little Problems

Unread 05-20-2005, 03:36 AM
1 Week Post Op - Advice On Some Little Problems

Hi, I had a TAH a week ago. Got back home from hospital yesterday but I could do with just a few bits of advice.

I got up during the night 3 times last night to go for a pee and I am having so much trouble getting up out of bed. I have found that I can lie on my left side with a pillow against my tummy but it is so difficult for me to get out of bed from that position. I don't have anything to lever myself out. The only alternative is that I sleep sitting up a bit by being propped up with pillows but it's uncomfortable and I can't get to sleep - even though this is easier for me to get out of bed.

Does anyone have any tips on this?

Also, I am finding that my main pain problem is my back! Right inbetween my shoulder blades down to the small of my back. I'm not slouching when I walk but if I stand up for any period of time, my back gives me so much pain. Any advice?

Much appreciated.

Rowdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 05:14 AM

Before I went in for my surgery on 5/9 a friend told me that when she had hers a few years ago. She lived in her recliner for the first few weeks. So, when I came home, I went right into the recliner. I made it up like a bed and when it was time to go to sleep I would flip the lever and recline and fall asleep. I would always take pain meds before going to sleep to give me the boost to go to sleep DH would sleep on the couch to help me get up from the chair to go to the bathroom a few times in the night. I tried at 6 days to try to sleep in the bed. I couldn't do it. I could sleep on my back in a lower position, I couldn't lay on either side cause it pulled on my vertical incision and stomach was completely out of the question. I retreated back to the recliner and have been there all week this week. I am going to try this weekend again. Feeling better, and was afraid DH would come on my side of the bed and hit my incision also didn't want to keep him awake all night if I was fitfull. Hope this helps, and take care.

Linda
Unread 05-20-2005, 05:25 AM

Hi rowdy_angel;

Welcome home! I bet it feels wonderful to be back in your home. I hope you are feeling well.

As {{vabeachlady}} mentions, some find the recliner the place to be for a few days.

I sat in my recliner when I was awake and up to it but mostly I slept on the futon which is lower then my bed so, I think that made it easier for me to get up and lay down.

If you use your elbow to "balance" on push yourself up a little, then swing your legs out, push yourself up with your elbow and hand then you should be upright and able to get up.

To get back in bed, sit on the side, place your elbow on the bed, lift your legs to the bed then lower yourself onto your pillow.

I know it isn't easy ... it will get better though.

Happy healing to you!

Sybie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2005, 05:36 AM
pull up device

Hey, You are in luck! There is a device in the Hystersister Store called an Abnostrain. It has little grips on it and you attach it to your bed and pull yourself up on it. I bet it works really great. Click here to see all about it! ABNOSTRAIN

Oh, do I know what you mean about the back. I think it is from the position you are in during surgery and the extra pressure now from the swelling.
I used lots of pillows all over the place to support shoulders, arms, etc. I also had to sleep partially sitting up because I could not sleep on my side for about a month, no matter what I tried.
I used a heating pad on my back and shoulders, and just moved it around to different places. I also took OTC ibuprofen or tylenol in between the pain meds-with my doc and pharmacists advice and instructions. I don't think the pain meds deal with inflammation as well as the OTC things.
It got better, but I know it was pretty bad for awhile.

Come here for a little whine whenever you need one
Unread 05-20-2005, 05:50 AM

Hi

I've just reached the 6 week mark and remember the first couple of weeks only too well. I thought I'd never get out of bed normally again, or walk normally again, etc, etc ...

The only way I could get out of bed (when lying on my left side) was to put my right hand on the bed, lever myself up and let the left hand take over when I was half way up, then swing my legs out.

I had to learn the hard way ... when in hospital, I developed diarrhoea and had to get out of bed every hour for 18 hours in a row. No exaggeration! It absolutely killed me.

As for your back, I had the same problem. I put it down to having to use any or all muscles that didn't involve my abdominal ones and adopting strange resting and movement postures!

Don't worry, it WILL get better. Look for weekly improvements, not daily ones.

All good wishes!

Unread 05-20-2005, 06:45 AM

I found out that the easiest way for me to get out of bed those first few weeks was to basically "roll" out of bed. I would sleep close to the edge and then roll, then put one foot on the floor and then use my hands. I am sure that I looked quite comical getting out of bed, but it worked for me.
Unread 05-20-2005, 08:01 AM

Rowdy,
I had my surgery one week ago today, too, so I know what you mean about trouble getting out of bed! I don't have a recliner to sleep in and nothing to attach the AbnoStrain to. So, I had a dining room chair placed next to my bed and I have used that like I used the railing on the hospital bed. You can use the chair to hold on to and pull when you're on your back, raise your knees, and dig in with your heels to push yourself up and over in the bed. If I am on my left side (with my back to the chair) I reach my left arm back and grab the chair, use my right hand to press my little pillow to my tummy, use my right elbow to "lift and flip" while pulling on the chair. I just swing my legs over the edge (my feet don't reach the floor when I sit on my bed) then use the chair to pull up out of bed and as I stand up, too. If you can't get comfortable enough to sleep propped up, add more pillows! I bet I have 10 or 12 pillows in all different sizes tucked all around me when I am in bed!!!
Good luck and feel better soon!
Key
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:07 AM

As for your back, I can relate.....I cannot be propped up, even in the elevated hospital bed, my back would be giving me pain instantly.

What worked for me, was a big old arm chair by my bed, and a satin sheet to sleep on. I cannot imagine trying to get out of bed with out the arm of the chair to hang onto for support. The satin sheet makes it VERY easy to turn over. I did purchase satin PJ's, but found they were to slippery, they twisted to much, and I couldn't lift myself to staighten them(drove me nutz, shoulders pulling, twisted at the hips, etc.). The bottom sheet stays stationary, and turning is a breeze(well as breezy as can be expected post-op).

Good luck finding the solution that works for you!
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:39 PM

Rowdy,

Here's an article from this site with hints on how to get out of bed. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=117132

I found it very helpful. I also remember the early days, and it does get better week by week; hang in there!
Unread 05-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Re: pull up device

Quote:
Originally posted by PraireLakeLady
Hey, You are in luck! There is a device in the Hystersister Store called an Abnostrain. It has little grips on it and you attach it to your bed and pull yourself up on it. I bet it works really great. Click here to see all about it! ABNOSTRAIN

Oh, do I know what you mean about the back. I think it is from the position you are in during surgery and the extra pressure now from the swelling.
I used lots of pillows all over the place to support shoulders, arms, etc. I also had to sleep partially sitting up because I could not sleep on my side for about a month, no matter what I tried.
I used a heating pad on my back and shoulders, and just moved it around to different places. I also took OTC ibuprofen or tylenol in between the pain meds-with my doc and pharmacists advice and instructions. I don't think the pain meds deal with inflammation as well as the OTC things.
It got better, but I know it was pretty bad for awhile.

I looked at the abnostrain and was wondering how it works? do you attach it the headboard and use it like a pulley??

Come here for a little whine whenever you need one

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register