New here with ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here with ? New here with ?

Unread 02-25-2006, 10:49 AM
New here with ?

Hi my name is Kelly from Texas and I am 27 years old with 3 beautiful kids. I have had alot of pain and bleeding for a while now. I have fibroids one is 8 cm and the other is 3 cm with possible endo. My doctor wants to do a hyster. but we have to wait till August because I am a nursing student and graduate in August. I really can't wait till then. I have a question though I have had 3 c-sections and I remember when I had my last c-section about 4 years ago I was awake during the surgery(had a spinal) and the doctor mentioned all the scar tissue I had/have and at the time I didn't think nothing of it but I have had problems every since that c-section..I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it means when he says scar tissue? Is it the same thing as adhesions? Can this cause problems?.
I love this site as I have been reading for a while...You girls are very informative. Thanks,Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2006, 11:21 AM
New here with ?

Yes, they are the same. Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that bind your tissue together. They are very common following surgery, so yes, your past C-sections could be the cause. (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/13796-1.asp)

And more surgery to correct adhesions can sometimes make it even worse.

Have you had a second opinion about this surgery? Are you aware that the fibroids (any size, number or type) can be removed without a hysterectomy? (called myomectomy)

I hope you will be sure to get at least one other opinion (two or three is even better) before you commit to this permanent, life altering surgery. You are so young and to risk the endocrine function of your ovaries at such a young age is a very, very serious thing. Even if you are planning on keeping the ovaries, the rate of ovarian failure following hysterectomy is very high. (Hysterectomy cuts off the main blood supply to the ovaries.)

If you do go for a second opinion - don't ask your current doctor for the referral. Be sure to go to someone that does not know, (business or social) your current doctor and ask for a fresh, new look at your problem. From your history, I would strongly recommend a reproductive endocrinologist.

Best wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register