Okay now I am not so sure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Okay now I am not so sure Okay now I am not so sure

Unread 07-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Okay now I am not so sure

I had my pre op today and thought that everything was going to be okay however I found out that I will not be knocked out during my surgery I will have a spinal. Now I am scard to death! I have needles and I don't want to be awake during my surgery. I have no desire to know what is going one down there. My husband said that there is no way that I am going to back out of this but I don't think that he is big enough to make me do it. LOL. Can some one please tell me how bad the spinal is going to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 05:01 PM

had you requested to be under general anesthesia? usually a doctor will do what you want.

if there is a reason not to, you should know what it is.

also, i think you can still be sedated and can ask to be heavily or lightly so. i'd ask your doc about it.

lots of ladies here have stated a preference for spinal so it must be okay.

i told my doctor from the beginning that i wanted to be totally under so that is what we did.

good luck and good health,
Unread 07-28-2004, 05:55 PM

You should be given the choice of general or spinal. If you have a spinal you can be sure that you won't be awake. Along with the spinal they will sedate you enough to put you in a twllight sleep and you won't remember anything. Some like spinal better becasue you don't wake up groggy from the anesthesia. I would talk with the Anesthesiologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 06:03 PM

YOU TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT, NO WAY I WOULD DO IT AWAKE
HUGS--DENNA
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:33 PM

I was told the reason that I will have to have it done this way is because I am a heavy smoker 1 pack a day and I have asthma and he said that they don't feel right with doing the general on me.
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:39 PM

Well that makes sense. Believe me you don't want complications after surgery. Sounds like they know what they are doing. Don't worry you won't be awake, they will pump you up with Versed you won't remember a thing.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.
Unread 07-28-2004, 08:57 PM

I am also a smoker....1 pack a day and I was put completely under. No complications at all. I didn't even cough when waking up. They did give me breathing treatments during my 3 day stay at the castle.

By the way, you won't be "awake" during your surgery. They will put you in a twighlight sleep and you won't remember a thing.

GOOD LUCK!

Kel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register