8 days post hysterectomy: Gas issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post hysterectomy: Gas issues 8 days post hysterectomy: Gas issues

Unread 11-23-2016, 02:35 PM
8 days post hysterectomy: Gas issues

I had a di Vinci hysterectomy 11/15. I'm doing pretty good until the gas pains kick in. Any suggestions? Hurts like heck for bm too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2016, 05:24 PM

Hi! My doc has me taking Colace once a day. I just got home today and took it around 2ish, but I have passed so gas....maybe worth a shot? Good luck!
Unread 11-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Re: Gas issues

Walking, walking and more walking is the best cure for gas pains after surgery. Colace is a stool softener and doesn't really do much for gas, but it will help with the bms since it's meant to treat constipation, I had to take Gas-X for about 2 weeks post surgery and peppermint (oil, tea or candies) works really well too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2016, 07:03 AM

In addition to peppermint tea, try fennel seeds, which act as a carminative, breaking up the gas, so it's easier to expel. I would actually recommend against the candies, because the artificial sweeteners are poorly digested, and end up being fermented by bacteria in your colon, contributing to more gas. Other foods in this category include legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons and pears. Constipation can cause gas to become trapped in the colon, so getting things moving should also help with that. In addition to regular walks and peppermint tea, try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. When you sit on the toilet, bring your knees to your chest, and elevate your feet on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so everything can pass through without straining or pain. Also try massaging your abdomen, starting at the right hip, moving up to the waist, across your belly button to the left side, then down and across, back to the starting point; this follows the path of your colon, and should help to move everything through. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon, so you can get rid of that pesky gas!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register