Getting VERY Scared and thinking of backing out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting VERY Scared and thinking of backing out Getting VERY Scared and thinking of backing out

Unread 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Getting VERY Scared and thinking of backing out

I am scheduled for a LAVH on Feb 4th. That's only a little over a week and a half. The closer it gets the bigger the butterflies get. I have had 4 other surgeries in the past so I don't know why I am so afraid of this one. I almost called my doctor today to cancel. My pre-op is Friday and my DH is going with me to make sure I don't back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 10:47 PM

Hi there - I'm sorry you're experiencing such anxiety about the surgery! If it's any consolation, I think we're all scared as we approach the big day, so you're not alone!

Without knowing anything about the situation (your doctor, your symptoms, etc.) that brought you to this decision, I wonder if you've gotten a second opinion? Sometimes this helps us to feel more confident that we're making the right decision.

Since October 2007, I've been asking every woman I know has had a hysterectomy to share their stories with me, and everyone I know says they are glad they did it... I had my TAH/BSO on December 6 and although I'm still a little tired, I'm really glad I did it.

I also read a book called "The Essential Guid to Hysterectomy" by Lauren F. Streicher, m.d. It helped to answer many of the questions that I had before my surgery.

I hope you're able to find some peace with this decision and to think of it as a new beginning. Hang in there!
Unread 01-23-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubmatmik
I am scheduled for a LAVH on Feb 4th. That's only a little over a week and a half. The closer it gets the bigger the butterflies get. I have had 4 other surgeries in the past so I don't know why I am so afraid of this one. I almost called my doctor today to cancel. My pre-op is Friday and my DH is going with me to make sure I don't back out.
I had the same type hyst as you are scheduled for and can tell you that it wasn't that horrible! HONEST! Since it is LAVH there aren't many incisions to deal with.

You said you've had other operations and while I don't know what those were, I can tell you that my hyst isn't on the top of my horrible list (I've had 7 total operations).

I am currently recovering from a tonsilectomy and can tell you that the hyst was WAY easier than this!

Best of luck to you and hope you find peace in your decision.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM

Hi I totally understand how you are feeling. I had had other surgeries and for some reason was terrified about this one. Even my family dr thought I would cancel at the last minute but I didn't and I am still here and everything went fine. As long as you feel you have all the information you need to make the right decision for you then you should be ok. After all my nervousness and crying and not sure about what to do I was pretty calm the night before. Also if you need it ask your dr for something to calm your nerves. My dr gave me something but I never ended up taking it but lots of sisters have. Good luck with everything.
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:09 AM

I can totally relate to wanting to back out! But DH and I would talk about how much better this would be overall for me. After 24 years in excrutiating pain every month, I did realize I needed this. DH was wonderful and calming.

A friend suggested that if I couldn't take the anxiety to ask the doc to prescribe a couple days worth of Xanax or something similar. Perhaps you could discuss this w/ your doc?
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:24 AM

There seems to be something about any kind of "female surgery" that scares people. I was very nervous as my TAH date approached. True, I hadn't had surgery since I was a kid but my fear seemed exaggerated about this particular operation. Once I broke down my worries I realized that from the time I was a little girl I heard so much about how my particular female organs made me different from males, even defined me as a woman, that when I needed to have them taken out something deep inside of me was afraid that my femaleness would go with them. I realized that this was not remotely true; I am so much more as a woman than a set of organs! Once I accepted that I felt a lot better. We need to remember that we are all much more than our biology when it comes to what makes us women. We are awesome no matter what surgery we have!
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:40 AM

It is normal to be nervous but the surgery is not that bad and you will feel so much better post-op!

I am 4 weeks post-op and feel 100% better than before the surgery.

Julie
LAVH - 12/31/07 - kept the ovaries and feeling great
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Like QueenTut, I was feeling better just 4 weeks post-op than I did pre-op. Please try to relax and stay positive...do some deep breathing maybe. Things will go fine, and you will feel better than before. All the best to you, Sister!
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Know that feeling

i know just how you feel. My surgery was Jan. 14. About 6 days before I broke down and told my DH that I couldn't do it that the house would fall apart and that we would all starve. Well, DH has done alot of "encouraging" kids to do their part and has been wonderful. Everyone has food, the dogs have been walked and we are making it. Good luck and get out of the house. Go to a movie or something that you find fun. Good Luck!
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM

I'm right there with ya sister! I am scheduled for Thursday Jan31st. Scared to death! Never had an operation in my life. Both of my parents died at age 46. Guess how old I am?? 46.
I have large fibroids but no signs of Cancer. Not sure if this is a mistake??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register