i hate my insurance - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i hate my insurance i hate my insurance

Unread 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
i hate my insurance

I would say change physicians if you have the option, I am very lucky as I am on disability and was married to a Navy Personnel for 29 years so have a first and secondary insurance but am appalled at what some people have to go through or do without because of their insurance or lack thereof ~ please don't cry and please have faith, if all else fails change Dr's ~ That is your right to do so and exercise that right ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
i hate my insurance

Another thought, who treats your migraines? I have a neurologist for mine and when he says, "No, that med cannot be used because of her migraines," his word is law so to speak! So, if you could speak to whomever treats your migraines and possibly s/he could write a letter explaining which treatment options are counter-productive for your migraines. Also, can you speak to the doctor who treated you for side effects for the IUD? That doctor could also write a letter or send records confirming that that option is not feasible for you based on your prior experience.

Additionally, when your doctor receives info from the insurance company, you may be able to write a letter explaining the situation. Be non-confrentational, professional, use the proper medical terms, be detailed and descriptive -- you get the picture. I have written more than one letter to various insurance companies and had the insurance company reverse their decision. Keep in there and try to be patient though it is tough! Ask your dotor what you can do right now to help with your symptoms while you wait to work things out. S
Unread 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
i hate my insurance

weiser, do u mean the iud or the depo provera? i have never used the iud.i will never use that horrible thing.the depo provera was a few yrs ago and since then i moved to fl and back and when i was in fl the air force base i was at lost my records so i am screwed there.the depo shot was given here but back a few yrs ago they didn't use the computer to enter records into the computer so.i have no record of that at all.so it is mine and my husbands word against everyones elses.oh yeah i may ask for your input when we get this fax from the insurance,since you have dealt with this before,if you don't mind.oh i am seen by my pcp for my migraines.i am on topamax and then imitrax nasal spray for when i do get them. i know once upon a time like about 8 months ago when i was still seen on fort hood this doctor i was seeing sent me for an mri for my migraines (everything was normal)then said she was gonna send me to the neurologist well that never happened she never put in the refferal,was not a good doctor(whole other story,bad bad story,lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
i hate my insurance

I'm sorry, I misread and thought you had also used the Mirena Coil. It was never an option for me but had it been I would have considered it as it releases the hormone right into your uterus where it is needed and is less likely to go systemic. You will need to start making a list of reasons why you refuse to try this option as if you cannot show you have not tried it it is going to be harder to get an insurance company to want to offer coverage for a surgery when there is an untried option available.

Talk to your current PCP about your migraines and how they would be affected by Depo Provera. Also ask for a referal to a neurologist. Start writing down everything you dealt with while on Depo Provera and where you were located, who treated you, etc. The insurance company might take your word for it if it is well written with detailed information.

I know this is all frustrating. But since it is happening, you might want to use this time to really think about this surgery and if it is the right time for you. Reweigh all of your pros and cons and do consider seeking a second opinion from another GYN.
Unread 07-14-2008, 06:49 PM
i hate my insurance

oh the depo provera caused such severe mood swings my husband thought i was going whacky literally and i had a constant period for months on end.if u look at one 2 the ill side effects of the mirena iud it is migraines or headachesand ovarian cysts and i definitely don't need anymore added to the cyst problems i have plus migraine problems <oops! legal discussion and website removed per site guidelines!> and see all of the woman on there that have had problems with it.when i was researching it before i decided to say no against the iud i saw so many negative things for it then happened upon that sight.i know not everyone is the same but i do not want to take a chance with something foreign in my body like that and also may cause more harm to me than the problems i am already dealing with.oops i should put that the depo is what i was on a few yrs ago and what he put as a slim option was provera which is just the pill form it will just do the same thing.i even called a pharmacist about it.(medroxyprogesterone same way no matter what form).
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
i hate my insurance

thank you for all the replies so far,you all are nice and helpful
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
i hate my insurance

I am so sorry to hear of all of your problems with the gyn and insurance. I am in agreement with you about getting a new gyn.
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
i hate my insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklaj
I am so sorry to hear of all of your problems with the gyn and insurance. I am in agreement with you about getting a new gyn.
thank you,hey we are suppose to have our hyster the same day,well not now, though.this darn dr said don't despair we may be able to get it done like planned still, told him you screwed me by putting that even though you know they are chemically the same.he said there is danger in everything you do,i said i know but i want permanent relief and that mirena is too too dangerous and i am not taking a chance with that sucker in me.he said i understand that.well my neighbor gave me the name of the gyn that over seen her hyster.she had a female do hers that was still learning but the head haunco(spelling) is still there and he has been there for long time so maybe he will be able to get me in soon.i will tell my pcp's nurse that tomorrow.my friend said he was really nice.i also know of another dr too that another neighbor told me about.we are sooooo horribly tight on money right now that need to be able to have the surgery and heal and feel better.right now i wouldn't even be reliable to get a job,not knowing how much worse my period will get or my pain,but my insurance doesn't care about that nor does the doctor.he said i am sure u can get a job and then if u need to even if it is a month later take time off,yeah right,thats not reality,lol.just venting,i am just so stressed financially and emotionally right now.i mean we got food stamps today because of me not being able to work.i have been applying for jobs like crazy but i belive that when the time for a job comes god will hand it to me.i belive there there is a reason why i haven't gotten a job and more than likely it is my health.
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
i hate my insurance

doctor needs to put down "NONE" as alternatives.

fully 75% of ablation patients need hysterectomy within 5 years, according to research my dr quoted to me when discussing my situation.

These insurance companies end up paying more out in the long run because they want to "step-halt" through the process instead of allowing the dr and patient to make the right decision in the first place.

Make sure your GYN gets the report right, and go elsewhere if he can't, doesn't, or won't do so.
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
i hate my insurance

Sometimes I think docs don't think before they speak! Keep us posted when you hear from the nurse about the insurance. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register