leg, hip and knee pain caused by fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

leg, hip and knee pain caused by fibroids leg, hip and knee pain caused by fibroids

Unread 02-12-2008, 08:32 AM
leg, hip and knee pain caused by fibroids

Hi! Has anyone else had leg, hip and knee pain that causes them to wake in the middle of the night? It seems that when I sleep on my back or side it is worse. I have two fibroids, but the doctors can't tell for sure if the fibroids are causing the pain. If it wasn't for the leg pain, I wouldn't be considering the hysterectomy, but the pains seem to be growing worse. I really have no bleeding issues.

Anyone else with similar pains?
Thanks!
lalalala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM

I have hip and leg pains too. I asked my doctor if it was the endo and he said maybe or the fibriods, either way cant wait for my surgery I'm so tired of the pain. Mine hurts more when I sleep on my side (either I have issues with both sides) and it gets so bad it is hard to walk. Mine starts in the hip area and then radiates down my legs to my knees. Maybe it is the fibriods and not the endo. which would actually be better cause once the uterus is gone....no more fibriods= no more pain I cant wait.
Unread 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM

Wow, that sounds so familiar Julie! I have not heard of many others with similar pain.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling after surgery. Thanks for your reply.
lalalala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM

lalalala59 thanks for the prayers, I go in tomorrow and I'm not as nervous as I have been as of late. Except for the liquid diet and bowel prep today YUCK! I am ready. I'll be posting on how everything went when I get home (probably saturday) I see you havent set a date. Are you still exploring your options? good luck in your decsion process.
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM

I have the exact same symptoms! I didn't even consider it to be a result of my fibroids at first, but i am thinking it might be now. At first I thought it might be sciatica. It happens when I'm laying down and when I've been driving for an extended period of time. My uterus is at 20 weeks! I don't have a lot of bad symptoms, just annoying at this point. I've decided to wait on hysterectomy for now, although I have not ruled it out. I'm 51 and just waiting for menopause to kick in and possibly help the fibroids shrink. ilovegolf (Cindy)
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi Cindy,
I am 48 and kind of waiting for menopause too. However, I was thinking, these fibroids probably won't shrink completely and then they calcify. I am not sure if my bulk symptoms would continue with calcified fibroids. I think these things are so variable with each woman, it makes it hard for drs. to give any definate answers as to how they affect each woman.

Good luck and thanks for your reply,
lalalalala
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:00 PM

OMG! You sound familiar!! I had leg, hip pain pre-op and now almost two years post-op, I take meds for Restless Legs. I wonder, though if maybe it started as fibroid pain, as I had many and they were heavy! I thought sciatica also.....if you find anything out, please share! Thanks!! Good luck to you both!! michelle
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:23 AM

Hello - it all sounds familiar to me, too. I am scheduled for laparoscopic hysterectomy on March 6. I am scared, but I am in so much discomfort that in a way I can't wait. My legs are swollen and I have knee, back, sciatica pain - for years I thought it was bad back. I had the fibroids removed 3x, they always grow back. I am scared, though. I live in Australia - I presume most of you, ladies live in the US?
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:51 AM

Yes, I live in the US. How long have you had the pain? I assume you have had myomectomies to remove your fibroids in the past? Wishing you a smooth procedure and recovery. Let us know how you are doing.
Unread 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks for writing back - I will let you know about my progress. Where do you live in the US - I lived in Atlanta for 4 years (1992-96). Are you also scheduled for a hysterectomy, or are you comparing notes and thinking about it? I had the myomectomies to remove the fibroids, I have a very good doctor who worked with me and I thought that I would avoid the hysterectomy if I at all could. They always grew back. Now I also have a polyp. I must have endometriosis they tell me, but I do not have the heavy bleeding and all that. Most of the time I just feel like my stomach is full of rocks and heavy to the point of finding it hard to get moving. I am slim and I can see my stomach sticking out like if I am pregnant. My legs are heavy, swollen, aching. My back hurts and only recently (after all this time of going to chiropractors and osteopaths) I realised that it is probably the fibroids as well. The hysterectomy to me is a new decision (last week). I spoke to a couple of women of sort of my age (53) who had it done in the last 5 years - they are VERY happy with it. So I am hoping for a lot of improvement. Take care and write to me, I am enjoying this communication!
Alena

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register