Pre-op Physical | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op Physical Pre-op Physical

Unread 04-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Pre-op Physical

I Am Going To Have My Hysterectomy On May 16th And I Will Be Going To The Doctor On May 1st For A Medical Clearance Physical. What Is That? Also Is The Pre-op Physical The Same As That? The Pre-op One Is May 12th.

Also Where Can I Get Reading Material For My 11 Y/0 Daughter. She Lives In Another State. I Will Have To Mail Her The Info As I Can Not Contact Her By Phone.

Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Pre-op Physical

My doc just listened to my heart and lungs at pre-op. He also explained the procedure again and answered all my questions.

At the hospital pre-op they took blood, urine and did an EKG. Sometimes they will do a lung x-ray or whatever the doctor ordered. They ask a ton of questions about medical history of you and your family. They'll tell you where to go and when. You might get a chance to talk to the anesthesiologist.

My doctor gave me a brochure explaining the procedure. I think it was mostly meant for my husband. Check with yours, they may have something for you daughter. Or there may be something here.
Unread 04-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Pre-op Physical

Hi ladygrace,
I didn't need a medical clearance because I just had had a visit with my internist and he only needed to send some letters of clearance for my diabetes and blood pressure. My hospital pre-op was last Thursday and they did blood work, a urinalysis, and I met with a nurse practitioner for the anesthesiologist. You will probably need an EKG either at your clearance appt. or at hospital pre-op. Also had a pre-op with the surgeon. This all took a few hours, but it sure answered all of my questions and eased my mind tremendously. Thanks to this web-site, I knew what to ask. Best of luck on the 16th. Keep reading and I'll let you know how my trip to the castle was before you take yours.
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Pre-op Physical

Hi there!

A medical clearance is sought by performing a physical exam to assure 'all systems are go' for the specific surgery you are scheduled to undergo. It's also a physical investigation to uncover any areas that may need special attention during or after surgery. For some, this can mean any combination of chest x-rays, blood work, other lab tests, pulmonary function tests, cardiac function tests, etc., depending upon what is known about your medical history.

The pre-op, on the other hand, is a focused exam in preparation for your surgery once clearance is attained.

Hope this helps! I wish you the best as you undergo your surgery.
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Pre-op Physical

Hi Grace,
My medical clearance was done by my primary care provider. It's just a cursory heart/lungs kind of physical exam to make sure you don't have any other medical problems that might have an effect on your surgery. They might also order more labs or tests.

At the pre-op exam, I have an appointment with my gyn's resident to go over any last minute questions and for them to tell me what exactly they are going to do during the surgery. After that, I meet with the anesthesiologist. They get a medical history, do EKG, listen to heart/lungs, and discuss the anesthesia. Where I will be having my surgery, the anesthesiologist covers the pain service, so I'll also discuss my post-op pain concerns with them.

We have the same dates for our surgery and pro-op visits. Good luck to you!!!

Lori
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Pre-op Physical

Thank You All For The Information You Supplied.....I Will Let You All Know How I Make Out At The Medical Clearance Today.....My Appointment Is At 1pm.....I Wish I Had Someone From My Family ( Mom Especially ) To Go With Me To This Appointment As I Have No One In Florida That Can Go With Me....My B/f Is Working ( He Very Rarely Takes Time Off From Work For Me ).....He Will Be Bringing Me To The Hospital For The Operation And He Will Wait For Me To Come Out And Then Call My Mom......
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Pre-op Physical

I too am going to my pre-op exam at 1:00 today and I ahve no one to go with me either. DH is working..my hysterectomy will be May 4th...DH is taking off Thursday and friday to care for me.
I'll be thinking of you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register