Anyone not having a follow-up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone not having a follow-up? Anyone not having a follow-up?

Unread 09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Anyone not having a follow-up?

I had my TAH on 18th aug, and i recieved a letter from my surgeon this morning.

It said that he understood that i had been back in with a "small wound breakdown", and that if i needed aything i should call (the wound breakdown in fact was a large infection that was missed by the nurse who removed my staples on day 5, a nurse at the hospital who i saw when the wound split and began oozing yellow pus, and the doctor that the above mentioned nurse sent for. It was only spotted by my GP who i had to take a 30 minute walk to see.) so why the **** i should trust the hospital

The next bit of the letter was the real kicker though the surgeon has decided that i do not need any further gynacological (sp?) appointments, which i took to mean no six week check.

Has anyone else gone through this without any medical help? I was let home on day 3 and i haven't seen anyone since except for the infection.

Has anyone gone without a 6 week check-up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2008, 08:34 PM

I had staples out a week after, and only one post op appt which was at 4 weeks. No other post appts unless something comes up.

If he didn't want to follow up with you I would for sure find a new dr. Hugs
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:34 PM

When the insurance companies contract with the physician for the amount they'll reimburse for the surgery, they usually only include one post-op follow-up appt. I'm guessing that they're counting your previous visit as your post-op. I would call the office, explain the situation and let them know that you really feel as though you should be seen as a follow-up to the infection that you developed. I understand how you feel--it's important to have your doctor tell you that you've healed properly before you feel safe starting back to your normal activities. Good luck and best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Mandi,
That's a first. I've never heard of such a thing. What's going on over there?
Margie
TAH/BSO
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM

That is not a good idea. I hope you can get an appt. to make sure you have healed!
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:14 AM

I think i'm going to go and see my GP around the 6 week mark and talk to him. I am still having a hard time believeing they can just dismiss you so soon after this kind of surgery.

The surgeons and the hospital have really let me down. I'm just thankful that I have a fantastic GP who I now I can talk to about anything.

Thanks for the well wishes!
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:22 AM

I saw my surgeon 10 days after surgery to remove staples and check the incision. I will be going back for my 6 week checkup soon. I cannot believe that they are not going to see you to make sure everything is healing properly ESPECIALLY after the issue you had with an infection!!! I think I would be calling them to let them know how you feel and that you need to have the check up to make sure that everything has/is healing properly at least for your own peace of mind. I think they OWE you that. If you get nowhere then I would go to your GP.
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:42 AM

dont know what your surgeon is thinking of!! i panicked cos i didnt hear anything, im now 8 weeks.. but got a letter yesterday to say ive to see mine on the 25th of sept.. go see your doc. or ring the surgeons secretary,[jessss, memory gone and cant spell] she'll be able to keep you up to date, just remember, thats what they get paid for!!! hope you get all the advice you need.
Unread 09-12-2008, 07:56 AM

I havent had any contact with my Surgeon since the day after my op and nor will i have unless i feel something is wrong so your not alone hunny, all i was told is that if i have any problems to contact my GP and see if they can sort out the problem before phoneing the hospital.

I personally would have prefered a follow appointment just so they could have taken a look and said that everything was ok
xxx
Unread 09-12-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampyali
When the insurance companies contract with the physician for the amount they'll reimburse for the surgery, they usually only include one post-op follow-up appt. I'm guessing that they're counting your previous visit as your post-op. I would call the office, explain the situation and let them know that you really feel as though you should be seen as a follow-up to the infection that you developed. I understand how you feel--it's important to have your doctor tell you that you've healed properly before you feel safe starting back to your normal activities. Good luck and best wishes!
I have had 3 post-op appt. with my Dr. so far and I haven't had to pay for any of them. When I go to pay they tell me it is already paid for through my isurance. Plus I have another appt. set up with them for Nov. for a follow-up.

I think it is strange that your Dr. isn't going to see you at 6 weeks, how are you going to know if you are healed enough to go back to work. When I seen my Dr. at 6 weeks he told me to take 2 more weeks off of work because my vaginal stiches were not healed yet. You should call and find out was is going on or at least find another Dr. or call your primary Dr. and explain to them what is going on and find out if they will do follow-ups with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register