pain & fever | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-27-2005, 08:16 PM
pain & fever

Hi Ladies,
Since Friday I have had Right Lower Quadrant pelvic pain. I have been to the emergency room several times and saw my family doctor on Monday. The pain has been associated with nausea and vomitting and a fever (no higher than 100.4).
Yesterday in Emergency, the doctor was convinced that because I had a fever, he would find something in my lab results. However, nothing came back positive -- my WBC, especially, was normal. The doctor said that in rare occasions, a fever can be the body's natural respponse to pain. I had never heard of this, but have no reason to doubt the doctor. My blood pressure and pulse were also elevated yesterday. My blood pressure was 153/103 and my pulse was 121. It has been suggested that my blood pressure is closely monitored, and if it stays elevated, then I should see my GP for possible treatment with medication. During my hospital and clinic visits these past few days, I've had blood work, a urine sample, a speculum and bimanul exam, and lastly, a pelvic ultrasound. I don't know if anything showed up on the ultrasound, but I do know all the other tests were normal.
BUT...I am still running a fever, and I am still in a fair bit of pain. I am controlling the pain with morphine I have been given by my family doctor (and have been taking EXACTLY as he told me).
I am frustrated by the way I have been treated over the past few days. The first time I went to Emergency, I was given a pregnancy test, ALTHOUGH I told the nurse I had a hysterectomy. When I saw my GP on Monday, he told me I needed to be seen by a general surgeon to rule out appendicitis, ALTHOUGH I told him in January that I had my appendix removed last May (and he had this documented in my chart, which he had in front of him). On Sunday, the doctor who did the pelvic exam started by using a speculum that was too big...but on the bright side, he had warmed it with hot water -- warmed it too much -- he didn't let me touch it first and just shoved it in and burned me!
I cannot get in to see a gyne until May 16. Any suggestions?
Thanks for letting me vent!
Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2005, 04:43 AM
pain & fever

I want to take this back to the front of the list. I don't know what to tell you. The first time I went for my mamogram the just about fell off her chair when I told her last period, she didnt let me get out that I had a TAH almost 1 1/2 month ago.....

I hope you feel better, Can you call your and see if you can get in earlier????

jane
Unread 04-28-2005, 04:55 AM
pain & fever

My Dad had Cancer and we found out that if he was in alot of pain, his BP and Temp would go up.His Drs said that it is your body's way of saying "hey, I'm in pain--do something about it" So, I would say that is the case.Maybe ask what you can take inbetween the Morphine to help ease the pain.
In my case, my Gyn said I could take Tylenol in between my doses of Percosets.But be sure to ask YOUR Dr. as they all have different views on things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2005, 01:03 PM
pain & fever

Hi Ladies,
Thanks for your concern. I was in severe pain last night and had a low grade fever again. I went back to Emerg at 1:30 AM. The doctor refused to see me -- he said it wasn't acute, and said he would see me when he got out of bed if at 7 AM. So...I went back at 7. He has encouraged me to take large doses of ASA and has prescribed Pariet to protect my stomach; he told me to increase my Topamax by 25 mg every 3 to 4 days starting today; he told me to take my oral morphine as needed; and he told me to follow up with my GP tomorrow. He also gave me 10 mg IM morphine to make me comfortable. My ultrasound I had done Wednesday morning was normal. I also was able to get an appointment with the gyne this morning. He wasn't very supportive, and asked me if I wanted the surgery or not (we've been discussing a laparoscopy and potential oophorectomy for several months). He told me to follow up with my GP tomorrow, too. He told me he is going to Germany for two weeks and will see me when he gets back.
Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register