Pain relief? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Pain relief?

Hello, I am 51, post menopausal, and have been experiencing heavy bleeding for the past three months. My endometrial biopsy is Monday morning, so hopefully will have some answers soon. In the meantime, I have been experiencing severe pelvic and lower back pain, today is bad enough to double me over. I have taken 400mg of Motrin and an extra strength Tylenol, but was wondering if it here are any non-narcotic meds that I can ask the doctor to prescribe that are effective for this kind of pain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Re: Pain relief?

You could take a stronger dose of Motrin...after my C-sections they prescribed 800mg motrin and a narcotic, but I only took the motrin. Naproxen is another alternative, it can be prescribed in higher doses than you can buy OTC.

If any of your pain feels like cramping, ginger capsules are good for that kind of problem (also for nausea or upset stomach, so they're good to keep on hand). You can buy them at Walmart.
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:36 PM

I've always found 6-800 mg ibuprofen helps better than anything else, and a heating pad! Also, you may want to take some before your biopsy. It caused some cramping. I wish I had taken some. Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2014, 12:37 AM

TexJ and Pamela, thank you! I have fresh ginger and ginger tea; will get some caps tomorrow if I am not too crampy.

I wil ask the doc about stronger doses of naproxen.

I took 600mg of motrin last night, will take 800 mg before the appointment and 1/2 a lortab. DH is driving me to the appointment since pain meds make me really groggy and stupid.
Unread 02-10-2014, 01:18 AM

Glad to hear you have transportation for the appointment!

The biopsy is really not that bad, for me the only part that felt bad was when they have to hold onto your cervix with some instrument (felt like a pair of tongs). They kept telling me it was going to be painful and that I'd have to lie down for a while afterwards, and I kept waiting for the painful part, but it never did hurt.

If the pelvic pain you're having is bad enough to keep you from sleeping or to wake you up, make sure you mention that to your doctor because it's a good gauge of how bad your pain is. They can also prescribe something specifically for cramping, I went to the ER because I was having extreme pelvic pain and pressure along with the heavy bleeding and they prescribed Bentyl, which is supposed to be used to treat IBS but they said it would help with the cramping. (My pelvic pain turned out to be a kidney stone, and the bleeding was a separate problem.)

Anyhow, don't stress out about your biopsy, it will be over before you know it and then you'll be wondering what you were so worried about
Unread 02-10-2014, 01:47 AM

Tramadol is rx drug I believe non non narco. Also chamomile tea is good for cramp relief I've found. Best wishes!
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:04 AM

I was prescribed Bentyl for IBS. a plus is it makes you sleepy and relaxed all over. Drink plenty with it tho - causes cotton mouth. It is effective!
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Endo biopsy is done. It wasn't fun but wasn't horrible; she ended up taking four samples (twice the fun!). The cervical dilation hurt worse than the biopsy.

I'm bleeding quite a bit and passing large clumps of tissue, so I must have had some thick endometrium built up. No real pain though, just cramps.

Ginger tea tastes real good today. Yum!

Thanks for the medication suggestions, and how to judge the pain level. It has woken me from sleep, but thankfully only a few times.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register