Re: Starting to get REAL nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Re: Starting to get REAL nervous Re: Starting to get REAL nervous

Unread 06-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Re: Starting to get REAL nervous

I don't even have a date yet but they are trying to schedule it within the next couple weeks. I've had trouble sleeping lately because of making my decision to have a hyst and a few other things that are changing in my life. Last night I was so exhausted I fell asleep only to be woken up by bad dreams about the upcoming surgery!

I have a few questions. How can I find out a history of my doctor/surgeon? I DO trust him but you can never be too careful. Maybe someone can direct me to where to find the answers on this site. Like, how long is the hospital stay usually for a hyst keeping cervix and ovaries? (Also urologist will be putting something in my ureters to protect them during the surgery - he said they take them out the day after the surgery) What is involved for pre-op testing?

I'm starting to read post op posts and getting REAL nervous. I thought once I made the decision I would be okay thinking about the surgery once it is behind me - now I'm afraid of all that is in front of me and every day (or moment) I think of something new that could go wrong!!!!!!!!! I know the facts of my history and I intellectually know that I made the right decision but then I second guess myself since telling the doctor what I've decided - and I know that I really don't have options - otherwise I would have pursued them!!! I need a *Valium Drip* until I have the surgery! .

Just got my period - this could be the last one? Or when you keep your ovaries do you still get one?

If anyone can direct me - I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Didi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2002, 09:40 AM
Hi DiDi

It is so normal to be nervous and the concerns over the surgery can certainly be heightened with other things going on in your life. Although the valium drip sounds nice it may not be too practical. So all I can say is try to take things one day at a time. And make sure each day includes doing things that you really enjoy and find relaxing. Also, as much as possible take things one step at a time.
I went through a very hard time right after my cancer diagnosis and finding out very unexpectedly that I needed to have a hysterectomy. I ended up rushing my 78 year old mother to the hospital where she stayed for 8 days. I was by her bedside the whole time and then cared for her up until the day of my surgery. It was a very hard time. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and kept breathing. I knew eventually I would come through the otherside of it all. We are both doing well now. But yes sometimes it seems as if everything happens at once.
To answer a few of your questions:
The average hospital stay is 2-3 days. Naturally it can vary depending on your surgeryand recovery.
Pre-op testing can included blood work, EKG, Chest X-Ray, Urinalysis
And yes by keeping your ovaries and cervix you can still get light periods.
I am not sure about checking out your doctor's history. You could call the hospital and ask how long he has been operating there etc.? Your doctor might even have a website, mine did, that gives his bio and med school data. You could also call the AMA and ask how you would go about finding background information. Perhaps some other women will be along with some additional suggestions And of course if you are not 100% confident in him then seek out another surgeon.
Best wishes to you. Keep us posted.
Unread 06-01-2002, 01:09 PM

Hi Didi,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble sleeping. As Shelley said, it is very normal to be nervous before having surgery, and although a "Valium drip" might not be the answer, please do call your doctor's office to let them know that you are having problems sleeping. They may be able to prescribe something to help you rest at night.

You asked about how to check out your surgeon. I don't know if it is true for all states, but here in Florida you can call the State licensing agency and inquire if there have been any disciplinary actions taken against a particular physician, and also go to an on-line site to search.

You might try calling your Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce and ask them for information - they may know what agency you will need to contact.

I'll be thinking about you.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2002, 01:47 PM

Didi,

You didn't say which procedure you're having. If it's a TVH, they have to take the cervix, so you don't have to worry about mini-periods if you keep your ovaries. Even if you do keep the ovaries AND cervix, I have the impression from the posts I've read that most women don't have mini-periods, there's just the possibility that it could happen.

If reading the posts makes you more nervous, just remind yourself that, as with anything else in life, if things are going well, we usually don't say much about it. It's the problems that we feel more compelled to share or ask questions about. I haven't ever originated a post, but I haven't had anything of major concern to post either. I found it helpful to read the posts because I knew what to look for and also had a better idea of what is "normal" even though everyone is different.

I had wondered if you had scheduled yet - I remember your posts about your ability to continue to sing after the surgery. I'm sure things will go well for you. It'll be a little different at first since your abdomen will be tender, but I'm sure you'll be in great voice once you get past that. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Margaret
Unread 06-01-2002, 08:29 PM

It's so nice to know that I can post my concerns and questions here and get a response from caring people. Thanks for all your responses - they've helped me already.

Margaret - that's nice that you remembered about the singing (one of my biggest concerns). I felt better after talking to my doctor about keeping my ovaries and I know I have to be patient after the surgery because my abdominal muscles need time to heal before I'm able to sing with strength. That will be the biggest challenge - patience!

Shelley- I'm sorry you had to go through so much at once - it sounds like things are better and I'm so glad that you are A-OK!!

Thanks again!
Didi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register