Scheduled TAH Exercising again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercising again? Exercising again?

Unread 06-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Exercising again?

I'm having a TAH on 6/29 and am wondering how long it was before people were able to start exercising again, even lightly. I try and hit the gym 3 times a week, even if it's just 20 on the tread mill and ten on the elytical. I've found it to be a really great way to start the day. I know I won't be able to use the weight machines for a while, but after 2 years of steady weight loss, I don't want to sit around and put it back on because I became inactive. I realize that I won't be able to do anything too intensive for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Re: Exercising again?

Hi Allie
I was told I could walk as much as I wanted to, but was not given the okay for regular exercise until four weeks post op. Every doctor has a little different protocol from I've seen on this site....that's great that you have lost all that weight....I'm very proud of you I am working on weight loss myself now that I feel so-o-o-o much better after having the surgery.
Praying all goes well for you
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM

87 pounds in 2 years. I'm at 281 right now but started at 368. OUCH. My final goal is 140 and able to do the breast cancer walk in the next 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Awesome
I'm at 243 and working towards 140 too!!! I feel more like I can loose it now that I've had my surgery. I just feel like I am embarking on a wonderful next stage of my life now and that I can do anything I set my mind too. I'll be thinking of you (and the rest of my sisters here) on your surgery date...my Mom's birthday is June 29th. Any questions or concerns you just ask...I love this site....so many wonderful sisters here to answer everything doesn't seem to exist here .
Take Care and keep us posted!!!
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:58 PM

hi! i am four and half months post op. check with your dr before you do any excerising after. i was told i could walk as much as possible. at three weeks post op i was walking about three miles and at four weeks i got dr permission to use elipitcal on no restance for ten minutes. i gradually built up every week and at eight weeks wa gradually slow jogging again and light ab work. i had a pretty easy recovery though. good luck to you!
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:17 PM

I had DaVinci RALSH so I know my recovery is different and quicker than many others on here. Today started my third week (surgery June 3) post op and I was able to go back to the gym this morning. Yeah!!!!! I did eliptical, bike and a circuit of strenghth training (low weights). My only restriction after the two week mark was no crunches and I can't get in the pool until after week 3. I too have lost about 80 pounds and am a real gym rat. I met my doctor set goal of 165 just prior to my surgery date and was so worried about gaining during post op. I have a personal goal of 150 to 155 and feel like I can do it now that all the junk has been cleaned out. I generally feel healthier all over. Do any of you have this same feeling? Kinda like everything is working better now that my body don't have to support the hugh fibroids.
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Hi Aille I had my TAH on June 2nd. First I will reassure you that being physically fit preop will certainly help you in your recovery process post op!

Let me tell you what pre op physical fitness did to my benefit. I was up and walking by the afternoon of my surgery which was early morning. By that evening I was out of my room more than I was in it and walking all over the place...along with my IV pole and pee bag. Used minimal about of the pain-meds-on demand...so by the following morning I not only was off the IV, but the catheter was removed as well. Also, was given the okay to take off the "fancy" support hose!

Put my yoga pants, tank top, and tennis shoes. Kept drinking lots of water...was able to pee on my own almost immediately...waited for the doctor to release me to go home Friday afternoon.

Had minimal pain for having an 8 inch horizontal scar, but I also believe that being fit helps with pain tolerance too. Took hydrocodone only two days, then Alleve, but by day four no more pain meds.

Started walking s-l-o-w-l-y Saturday(day 3) and now am up to 3 miles walking every day. My doctor cleared me for doing "post-partum" style yoga, which I will begin next week.

Weight restrictions to 10 pounds for another month. This is very difficult for me because I lift certainly much more than that as part of my fitness program. My Dr. told me five pounds free weights while SITTING down, in order to keep arm tone. I am good with that.

Feeling pretty good. Been out of the house (hubby took me for a pedi on post op day 4) and went to a concert on po day 8.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and recovery. I pray your recovery will be as good as mine.

Please talk with you doctor about your concerns. If you are fit to begin with, and they know this, they can help you with your fitness requirements post op--or at least my doctor did.

Take care
Susan
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Each person is different I had TAH in jan 6th and still only allowed to walk, light swimming and bike riding I am walking the race for life in July and I am 5 moths post op dr will not allow me to run the insides take about a year to repair. But each dr is different and each person is different
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Returned to running week 4, ran a marathon week 9 post op. I have ran 3 marathons and 2 halfs since surgery last august I am back to weights since week 12 and feeling fine. Your current fitness will be a huge help.
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Taxladyjt. I agree wholeheartedly that sans fibroids i too feel healthier.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register