Nervous beyond words about upcoming total abdominal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous beyond words about upcoming total abdominal Nervous beyond words about upcoming total abdominal

Unread 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Nervous beyond words about upcoming total abdominal

I've been reading all of the posts and information on this site since I found out about my surgery. I'm scheduled for July 10th. I have so many concerns as I'm single without children and will be primarily on my own during recovery. Lots of questions...is it a true 6 week recovery, will I be able to get around without assistance in the days after, is the pain bad, was anyone else afraid of being put under? I've been trying to prepare meals and set things up as no one will be staying with me when I get home from the hospital. I've made a list of things I need from info on this site...anything I really need to make sure I have covered? I didn't expect to experience this at 40.
Thank you for providing this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Re: Nervous beyond words about upcoming total abdominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina1181 View Post
I've been reading all of the posts and information on this site since I found out about my surgery. I'm scheduled for July 10th. I have so many concerns as I'm single without children and will be primarily on my own during recovery. Lots of questions...is it a true 6 week recovery, will I be able to get around without assistance in the days after, is the pain bad, was anyone else afraid of being put under? I've been trying to prepare meals and set things up as no one will be staying with me when I get home from the hospital. I've made a list of things I need from info on this site...anything I really need to make sure I have covered? I didn't expect to experience this at 40.
Thank you for providing this site.
Yes, if you are having a TAH it is a 6 week recovery. Take full advantage of it. You want your body to heal properly, so make sure to follow the doctor's instructions and the discharge instructions.

My very first surgery I had (myomectomy) I was scared to be put under and I expressed my fears to the anesthesiologist and they took great care of me. Just let them know your fears. Also, if you're afraid of any nausea from the anesthesia, tell them and they will give you something to help with that. I asked for some anti-nausea meds before surgery, I told them to give me some during, and after, lol. I had no issues, thankfully. This time, I wasn't nervous about being put under because I told them my concerns and they took great care of me. Once they give you some of that Happy Juice, you won't have a care in the world.

When you are in the hospital they will get you up either that evening or the next day to walk around. You might need some assistance getting in and out of bed at first, and you may not. This will give you some idea of what kind of help you might need at home. Sometimes the hospital can set you up with some home health care services if you are alone and you think you will need it. I know my hospital asked me in Admission if I'd want to sign up for it just in case I'd need it. I said yes, but never needed it.

My surgery was on a Thursday and was sent home that Saturday. I was released over Memorial Day weekend so my husband was able to be off for the long weekend. He just started this new job in April so he really couldn't take any more time off than that. I was on my own after that.

I had a previous abdominal surgery (myomectomy) and kind of knew what to expect. I set everything up so that things were convenient and within reach. My husband helped me out a lot before he left for work and when he got home and when he was off. I had protein bars, nuts, dry cereal, plenty of water, fruits, etc. all near by.

I was able to shower and walk around the house unassisted.

Also, before you go home from the hospital, ask for some of those mesh underwear they give you. Get like 7 pairs. You are going to love those in recovery when you have swelling in your tummy, which is completely normal.

Make sure you keep on your pain control schedule. That is very important. I wasn't in much pain at all and there were days that I didn't really need to take anything. I know when I did too much because I'd feel it later. They sent me home with Ibuprofen 600mg and Percocet. Keeping up with your pain control regimen helps your body heal. You can set a timer to make sure you are on schedule.

Make sure to get up periodically during the day when you are home to take some small walks around the house. This helps with your healing.

Get some stool softener like Miralax or Colace. Start taking it as soon as you can after surgery. I started mine the next day and took it for a week to 10 days. Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet with plenty of fiber. That will help get the bowels moving.

That's all I can think of right now, lol. Sorry for rambling.

The waiting for the surgery is the hardest part of all of this and feeling nervous & overwhelmed is so normal.
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM

That was not rambling...that was helpful. Thank you so much for responding, your words made me feel so much more confident. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site, the posts are a life saver. Added the panties to my list....lol! Guess I'll be grannying it for awhile. Thank you again. This experience is... Well, just scary,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM

(((Hugs)))

Glad it was helpful!

Wait until you see those mesh undies. Total hotness overload. They put granny panties to shame, lol.

I love them because they allow air to reach your incision which also helps it to heal up and keep dry.

I love this site also. It's a real blessing. So much great information.
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM

I forgot to mention previously....don't compare your recovery to others because it is all individual. Everyone heals differently. Recovery has ups & downs. You will have some days you feel a little more pain or feel wiped out and other days you will feel great. Then eventually the good days will out number the bad. It's your healing journey.

Take it one step at a time. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Be good to yourself and go into full princess mode. Don't worry about the housework. It will wait for you to get better, make no mistake about that, lol.

Do you have any friends, co-workers, or neighbors who can check in on you and help you with laundry or shopping?

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and still have some days I need to take some Advil. There is no shame in taking something when you're hurting, no matter how far out you are from surgery. We are healing all kinds of layers in our bodies. So, there may be occasional twinges here & there.
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM

I agree with Elizabeth. Take it at your own pace and take the meds as you need them, no matter how long. Pre-cook meals and freeze or make sure to have plenty that you can pop in the microwave. I cleaned my house top to bottom before my surgery which was on the 6th, my house is still waiting to be cleaned-I'm not stressing (though I want to!), it is what it is. You might want to purchase a 'grabber' do-hickie if you will be alone most of the time. Honestly, I never realized how many things I drop during a normal day, until my DH comes home and gripes about all the stuff on the floor-lol! Make sure your necessities are lifted (remote, phone, tissues, blankets, pillows, plates, cups, COFFEE!), you don't want to bend or stretch. I stocked up the toilet paper so it is within reach. Spend your days prior to surgery concentrating on what needs to be at arms length and you will be set. You will be fine, please know this. I know the stress and anxiety before surgery is the worst part of it. We are all here to help you through. God bless.
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Oh, and sanitary pads, I almost prematurely gave them away but you might need them!
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM

I agree with all of the above posters. Getting your home ready for recovery will make things so much easier for you once you get home from the hospital. Try to buy everything you think you'll need for a month. Also make sure you have someone willing to run to the store for you if you need it. I was surprised with the amount of pharmacy trips the first few days post op that I had to send someone on.Also if your going to be alone please have someone on notice via phone 24 hours a day in case you have an unexpected problem.I would not walk around the first few days without your phone in your pocket just in case you trip on something or fall.Especially have a phone within reach near your shower.
:cathugs:
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:00 AM

Sleep with your light on. I fell asleep for too long a couple of times and woke up after all pain meds were out of my system. I could hardly move. I had my meds and a drink all within reach, but I was in the dark. Luckily, I had a friend staying with me and could call for help to get my light turned on.
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:07 AM

set an alarm for your pill schedule. If you fall asleep too long without taking them and the pain gets out of control it is harder to get it back under control.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register