Help!? Anyone tried herbs/nutrition? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!? Anyone tried herbs/nutrition? Help!? Anyone tried herbs/nutrition?

Unread 03-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Help!? Anyone tried herbs/nutrition?

Hi, I'm 39 years old and was just diagnosed with fibroids. This was a surprise as I went in for a laparoscopy (second in 12 years) to laser remove endometriosis lesions and check out a supposed right ovarian cyst. My OB/GYN was also surprised as 2 ultrasounds and a Ct failed to show the fibroids. It does explain the sudden horrendous pain I've been experiencing, fullness, bladder pressure. I am scheduled in April to have a hysterctomy (preserving ovaries) but am now having second thoughts. My uterus is not an expendable organ and does things other than grow babies. My research says the uterus produces hormone like substances, prostaglandins and is influential in preventing arteriosclerosis. Shouldn't I try to keep it? Hormone therapy is not an option for me and it didn't sound like I was a candidate for ablation or fibroidectomy. I am embarrassed to say I don't know how many fibroids I have or what type they are.
My feeling is that herbs and diet changes would be beneficial. Research supports the ingestion of simple sugars/starches (especially flour), dairy put women in estrogen dominant states. (bad for these conditions) Also, impaired liver function can effect the metablolism of estrogen as can digestive disorders like decreased enzymes and deficiencies in intestinal flora (acidophillus, bifidus, etc). I am studying to be a Traditional Naturopath, btw, so my approach to health is nutrition and lifestyle with surgery as a last option.
Has anyone gone this route? Do you have any wisdom in this area? I am getting close to postponing my surgery to try alternatives. However, when it comes to pain, I am a wimp! My period is due Tuesday and I am hoping I don't spend 3 days in the hospital for pain management like I did last month. Please, help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2008, 08:34 PM

Hello TrinityReiki!

I had 1 fibroid that was causing me problems, that I had removed in Feb. (see my signature line) by laparoscopy. I would definitely tell you to call your dr. office and get yourself a copy of your ultrasound so you know how big they are, and what other options there are besides a hyst. You can have those buggers removed but keep your uterus. Were you told why you would not be a candidate for a fibroidectomy?

I don't know if the herbs and diet changes work or not, I have ibs so it is very difficult for me to digest some of the healthy stuff I like, but I have started 1. taking 1200 mg. calcium a day 2. multi vitamin w/ iron 3. 1000 mg. vitamin C and 4. drinking 4-5 cups of some delicious loose leaf green tea. I have found at least that the calcium has helped tremendously with the physical PMS symptoms!
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:39 AM

I am a nutrienist and i tried herbs, homeoapthy and changed diet didnt help me but did slow my endo down. goo dluck
hugs
lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM

I just joined this site today having just found out last week that I have fibroids. I am waiting on the results of my u/s to know the full extent of them. I am 42 yo so have a while before meno still.

I have just started to research the alternatives to surgery. I also am very interested in whether herbs/nutrition have been successful or not for someone. Hoping to learn alot from this site.
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

hey there sister
I'm 44 and have endo, a lupus like auto immune disease and now fibroids. I have read alot on these health problems and the bottom line is they are all symptoms of a bigger problem which is hormone related. Since my own hormones are already out of wack adding more isn't beneficial but unfortunately today our food and enviorment have so many hormone like things in them our bodies are confused. some say don't eat meat or dairy I eat some organic meat and dairy which doesn't have the known additives, antibiotics and growth hormones given to cows. avoid sugar and packaged , processed foods with added colors and flavors eat fresh food like fruits, veggies, grains, nuts and seeds especially flax seed is beneficial and gives you omega 3 eat fish just not shell fish though and eat omega 3 eggs a few times a week. we need minerals too that our foods lack i take an organic multi vit. nad 1-3 TBS of fla oil every day. I wouldn't have believed it but thought it can't hurt may help so i ate different and it has. I feel alot better when i avoid certain foods esp. sugars and do eat healthier. I cancelled my hyster for april 10 and i'm hoping these tumors continue to shrink as i keep on eye on things and see how i continue to feel. I have a sign on my fridge that says if it feeds your tumor why would you eat it, then don't.So I grab a banana instead of the ice cream not so much cause i want to i miss ice cream but you know sister we'll do about anything to feel better huh? Someone said let food be your medicine and medicine be your food! it works for me my prayers are with you, give nutrition a try my sister good luck
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM

it's me again i forgot to tell you i could tell i feel better but had an ultra sound last week to prove it to my family and yes my fibroids have shrunk and the cluster of ovarian cysts are gone except for one small one. I do think it's the change in diet that has helped me
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:50 AM

Thank you so much for your reply and thoughts/comments. I do think nutrition has much do to with this and hormone imbalances. Why isn't more money spent on this research??!! The past 4 dyas have been very difficult for me. This was my first period since my laparoscopy and diagnosis. Sooo much pain, pressure and fullness! I don't want to spend one week a month flared up in this state, taking Percocet and missing out on life. This is such a hard decision to make and of course to my friends and family it seems like a "no brainer"-just get the surgery asap. I need to speak with my doctor again as I have more questions since spending time on this site and doing my own reading.
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:55 AM

To all you "sisters", thanks for your replies, support, comments and sharings. You are helping me through this and I hope I am helping you as well. The Universe will take care of us for the greatest good and benefit od all. I know this experience has much to teach me. I am listening.....
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:03 AM

Hi Trinity,

Sorry you aren't feeling well, I know my first period after the lap/myomectomy was a doozy. It may take a few cycles to get back to normal. I feel like my body is healing now, my last period was only 4 days, no bleeding through a super plus tampon an hour! He did say that d & c would help for a while with that.

Keep asking questions and looking for answers if you are not comfortable yet with having a hyst. I'm trying too to make some diet changes and also kick the sugar habit in hopes of feeling better all the way around, not just w/ the periods.
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM

If you don't feel ready for surgery, it's a good idea to postpone and investigate all of your options. Perhaps you would be a good candidate for UAE/UFE, or other types of less invasive procedures.

To deal with my fibroids, I tried acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) for about 5 months before deciding to have the hysterectomy. (I also tried other things, including birth control pills and an endometrial ablation.) In the end, for me, hysterectomy was the only thing that worked. However, a lot of women have gotten relief from other treatments, so it is worthwhile to try some other things.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register