Upcoming hysterectomy 4/20: Fitness levels, before and just after surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 4/20: Fitness levels, before and just after surgery Upcoming hysterectomy 4/20: Fitness levels, before and just after surgery

Unread 03-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Re: Fitness levels, before and just after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astropuppy View Post
Thank you. I have been getting worried reading about women having difficulty sitting in a chair or getting out of bed. When I first discussed the surgery, the doctor said I couldn't lift anything heavier than a milk bottle but didn't mention any other restrictions.
I didn't like sitting in the same position for hours, but as long as I could change position a little, I was fine. I was really scared to try to get out of bed the first time, in the hospital some hours after my surgery. But my sister had told me that once you figure out how to do it, it's not bad. I asked the nurse what the strategy was and she told me to use my arms and my legs/feet and not my abs. I got up with no problem, thankfully as once they took the catheter out I had to get up to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes until I convinced them to take the iv out! I was up and down countless times and was not in any pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2015, 10:42 AM

[quote=SurprisedInNB;4572968]I had a somewhat similar experience when my gyn told me I had cancer and that she was referring me to a gyn onc for a hysterectomy. I asked how long the recovery period would be. She said six weeks. I exclaimed in real horror - more so than the C-word had evoked - "I can't stay in bed for six weeks!"

Ha ha, if the thought that I had to stay in bed for 6 weeks had crossed my mind I would have either cried right there in the drs office, or cancelled the surgery, or both! I think that we were both lucky to have drs who were right for us and didn't believe that laying in bed was the only way to recover!
Unread 03-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/20: Fitness levels, before and just after surgery

I had trouble lying still in the MRI machine!

Another question - why have I read that I won't be able to wear tops that go over my head? Is it because it would stretch my abs and I could rip my incision? I would like to be able to stretch out my abs, do simple backbends, twists, etc, so when they heal, they aren't too tight and I retain the flexibility I had before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping that knowing how to use my arms to support my body weight
somewhat in yoga will help me with this.
It certainly should! :-)

My bed is a futon-like thing on the floor. Before surgery, I dragged my (fairly heavy) exercise machine over so that the handlebars were near the bed.

After surgery, to stand up I would lie on my side, tuck my legs up and roll sideways and upwards so that I ended up in a kneeling position. Then I could take hold of the handlebars and use my arms to pull myself up to a standing position.
Unread 03-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Another question - why have I read that I won't be able to wear tops that go over my head? Is it because it would stretch my abs and I could rip my incision? I would like to be able to stretch out my abs, do simple backbends, twists, etc, so when they heal, they aren't too tight and I retain the flexibility I had before.
Huh? *All* my tops go on over my head. When I got dressed to go home from the hospital three days after surgery, I pulled a sports bra on over my head and followed it with a T-shirt. I had no trouble doing that. I also had no trouble reaching up to wash my hair when I got home.

I think you'll find, however, that your body is resistant to doing backbends and twists for the first few weeks. Your abs really are doing a lot of work just to heal and do things like hold you upright and help support your diaphragm.

I'd suggest that you have to accept that during the recovery period, you will lose a bit of the conditioning you currently have. When you return to "normal" six weeks or so after surgery, you're not going to do so at quite the same level. It will take a couple of weeks to build back to where you were.
Unread 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Wow, I have never seen that one! I pulled my dress over my head in the hospital the day after surgery, no problems! I think sometimes if someone has done something and it caused them pain, they post telling everyone not to do it. My advice is that if your dr doesn't forbid something, and you try it and it doesn't hurt or bother you, then it's probably ok. Seriously people will tell you all kinds of things you shouldn't do. But really it is different for everyone.
Unread 03-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/20: Fitness levels, before and just after surgery

I was quite fit before my surgery. I am guilty of bending and twisting and doing things that many would have found difficult or uncomfortable. I tried to be careful but was still did the types of movements automatically. On day two or three I went into a lotus position with no back support. It felf sooo good.... for about one minute the my abs started screaming! I just quickly changed position and later had to lie down with some ice. No permanent damage done. After three weeks I notice I have lost a bit of flexibility but I figure it will comeback as soon as I get moving again.
Unread 03-30-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
I think sometimes if someone has done something and it caused them pain, they post telling everyone not to do it.
OK. This makes sense. I know how to tell the difference between good - my muscles are working hard and getting stronger - soreness and bad - something is wrong; it's time to stop - pain.

I am really only concerned with what I am not supposed to do because I could injure myself, which I will have to discuss with the doctor. All I know is that I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy.
Unread 04-02-2015, 12:21 AM

How long do you think it will be before I can sit comfortably on the floor with no back support? As I work at home in front of a computer, my Dr said I could get back to working in about two weeks. However, my set up is that I work on the floor (I took the legs off my table) as it is much better for my hips and hamstrings than sitting in a chair all day, and it strengthens my abs.

I just ordered an armchair, which I plan to keep close to the front door, so I have
something to sit in easily as soon as I walk in the house. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get an office chair and raise my table back up, but I really don't want to.

Will I be able to manage floor sitting 2-3 weeks after surgery, considering that I'm used to sitting on the floor all day long? I could get up and down by getting on my hands and knees first. If I need to have a chair, could I manage with an armless one so I could cross my legs while I'm on it? I need to take care of this before surgery as I would have to go to the store and sit in the chair to make sure it's comfortable and the right size before I buy it.
Unread 04-02-2015, 01:32 AM

Update. I just spoke to the nurse who said that other than not being able to lift heavy things, there are absolutely no restrictions at all. I can go up and down stairs whenever I like, sit on the floor as long as I'm comfortable. Think I might buy an office chair and keep it just in case.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register