Pre-op positives for worried new sisters! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op positives for worried new sisters! Pre-op positives for worried new sisters!

Unread 03-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Pre-op positives for worried new sisters!

Remember when your Dr first mentioned the dreaded "H" word? If you are anything like I was, the first thing you did was start researching. Eventually, your research brings you to the Hystersisters web site where you start lurking trying to find out everything you possibly can about what to expect. Eventually you gravitate toward all the negative posts and you start thinking that there is a better than good chance that you are going to have numerous post op complications, no sex life afterward, gain 25 pounds in a year, and a swelly belly the rest of your life. I thought it might be fun to post only positive things for our sisters out there getting ready for their operations. Maybe it's a helpful hint, a great experience, or a funny story. Let's do this ladies! I will start with some helpful hints that really helped me!

The morphine pump.... Don't be afraid to use it! You can't overdose yourself and it doesn't make you a wimp because you need it! I felt no pain the entire time I was in there.
Weigh yourself before you go in and weigh yourself when you come out. This tip is not my own.. I read this on here previously from one of my sisters who posted it earlier. I gained 11 pounds in 1 1/2 days but lost it all within a week. I was so concerned with the weight that this last week I watched what I ate while recovering at home. As a result, I lost another 5 pounds! I refuse to gain the 25 pounds!
Leave half the stuff they tell you to bring home if you are only staying overnight. I was so zonked out (very comfortably, I might add,) that I only had use for 3 items.. My Jolly Rancher hard candies sugar -free, my huggy pillow that the ladies auxiliary made for all the patients, and my peri-bottle that the hospital gave me. The last 2 items are still my best friends. I left with a catheter because I got a bladder sling and had a UTI but trust me.. It wasn't so bad! Now that I am without the catheter, I have a little difficulty starting my urine flow. That little peri bottle filled with warm water works like a charm. As for the huggy pillow. I hold it in front of my belly when I am walking to the kitchen, or riding in a car or even reading, and it stops the belly from jiggling around. Love love love my huggy pillow. I wanna just hug the woman who made it.
In closing I would like to say Recovery is not so bad for most of us. Take the time though and allow yourself to be pampered. Women seem to feel odd when they are the ones being pampered because usually we are the ones doing that for others. Take care ladies and best wishes for a speedy and event free recovery.

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Re: Pre-op positives for worried new sisters!

Chapstick was my best friend, don't leave that at home. Definitely invest in some
gas x, very helpful. Biggest lesson learned is that your body will tell you what to do. Listen to it and rest when needed. Had a great experience, was so nervous, but the doc, hospital, and everything exceeded my expectations. Had a great recovery no complications, just listened to my body.
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:55 AM

i brought a bag with clean clothes (biggest pants i had, that were still a tad too tight. yikes), my toothbrush and toothpaste, my favorite fleecy slippers, and my phone/phone charger. the ONLY thing i used was my phone/charger lol. i had hubby update my facebook page when i made it back to my room, and i would get on every couple hours or so (whenever the nurses would come in to medicate me or check on me and wake me up). take advantage of whatever medications they want to give you, seriously. the more ahead of the pain you can stay the better you'll be. get up and WALK as soon as you feel up to it, even if it's just around your room (check with your nurse). get ok with the fact that you will need to ask people for help, no matter how independent you normally are.

one thing i wish i had gotten is a long body pillow for home. i'm not a back sleeper and sleeping on my side was rough, still is (i'm currently 4 days post op).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2015, 10:59 AM

[quote=asimo184;4573017]Chapstick was my best friend, don't

Ha ha, I awoke to find that the hospital had taped a tube of chapstick to my gown!
Unread 03-29-2015, 11:03 AM

I also brought a bunch of stuff I didn't need! A robe, which I couldn't get on over my iv, a book which I couldn't focus quite enough to read. I used my phone and iPad. I watched endless episodes of Castle on TV while I waited for them to remove my catheter. I wore home the same clothes I came in, a sundress and flip flops. I put a lot of thought into what to wear and it turned out to be a perfect choice! I wish I had had hard candies to help with dry mouth, a small fan, and something to drink besides water and ginger ale. I was scared to death, but had the best possible experience, awoke to no pain and had an active and healthy recovery. I was feeling so lousy for so long before the surgery that immediately upon waking up I felt a lot better!
Unread 03-29-2015, 11:28 AM

I am only 8 days po, but so far the most helpful po supplies for me have been:

Going home from the hospital- a loose comfy pair of Gillian & O'malley pajama bottoms I found at Target, a pair of soft cushy slippers and socks to keep my feet warm, and aveeno face wipes/makeup remover to freshen up my face before I went home...everything else, including the mesh undies and pads were provided by the hospital. And like Coughy16 said, if you bring a robe you won't be able to put it on because of your IV, so keep it at home for your recovery ; )

At home- Gax X, Stool Softener, pillows to lean against in a chair and hold against my tummy, a small pack of extra long pads and a cheap pack of hanes undies that will go in the trash after recovery; ) I've spent my time awake sitting in a comfy chair that is easy to get up from by myself b/c it was too uncomfortable to get up from a reclining/lying position.

The only thing I regret buying for recovery was the Correctol laxative...there was NOTHING gently about that...should have stuck with using straight Magnesium Citrate, it works better without all the stomach cramps which you DON"T want po.
Unread 03-29-2015, 12:06 PM

Coughy.. That is hysterical! Are you sure you didn't tape it to yourself lol? You just never know what you will be doing while under the influence of anesthesia. My daughter in law came into to visit me with my son and said she was in the middle of talking with me and I just looked at her and snored. I was out for the count lol
Seriously ladies.. I had my surgery Monday and yesterday I was complaining about BMs . I woke up today feeling like a new person so I went out to tan by my pool. I had barely any blood or spotting this whole week and for the first time in a year, I am now pad free. Trust me, I am a big bleeder so this is downright amazing! The most sound advice I can give you pre-op newbies is that any good advice you get from people about BMs, confer with your dr first but if he/she agrees and thinks it will work for you, then run with it. That seemed to be my biggest problem. You would think it would have been the catheter but it really wasn't bad. As for the mysterious swelly belly.... What swelly belly?
Unread 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM

We have a forum chock full of helpful hints from our members. You may find some of them helpful. Click the link below:

Hints from Members

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register