4 months post hysterectomy, return of the swelly belly! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 months post hysterectomy, return of the swelly belly! 4 months post hysterectomy, return of the swelly belly!

Unread 08-27-2017, 09:12 PM
4 months post hysterectomy, return of the swelly belly!

Hi everyone,

Had TLH on May 2, haven't had any issues with recovery other than some problems with bleeding/spotting early on.

I'm 16 weeks out, was cleared for exercise (except core) at my 8 week checkup. I've been ramping up zumba ever since. Early last week I decided to refocus on getting back in shape.

I started low carb, clean eating again and cut out all alcohol. I've gotten back to almost my normal gym schedule, and have been to Zumba 3 times in the last 4 days.

I rested yesterday. I took a class today and feel great, but swelly belly came back today with a vengeance. I assume it's due to my ramped up workout schedule.

Now I'm wondering... push through it? Take more days off? Go, but take it easy?

Anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2017, 05:28 AM
Re: 4 months post-op, return of the swelly belly!

and - yep, me!

At 5 months post op, I wrote a post very similar to yours and titled it "Swelly Belly - The Sequel" I'd ramped up too, back to running at my regular pace and to full intensity on weights and timing in my weekly cardio class. At this particular class, instructor said she was going to have us work our abs a little harder, and I thought I was ready. It was a 5 minute workout maybe, and I stuck with high-intensity. I started swelling 30 minutes to an hour later and had the tell-tale aches of overdoing it. It lasted for about 2 days, and I wore expando-waists again.

I would not push through it since it's likely inflammation from the inside. Take a 2-3 day break, recline a bit more. When you resume, take note of what move(s) might have caused it and pull back. Eventually you should be able to get back to full-throttle. That 5-month bout was the last time I was at the mat with Swelly, and I've done intense abs workouts since then (for sure 2 months later) without ill-effects.

Unread 09-27-2017, 06:30 PM

Glad I'm not the only one. Been slowly doing a couch to 5k but horrible swelling, cuff pain, and scar tissue. Therapy helped but going back to my dr in 2 weeks. Anyone else have awefil cramping and cuff pain ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2017, 02:35 AM

I had a big surgery & although I felt good, the 1 area I had concerns was heavy ab workouts bc my abs were weak post op. Even a year post op, I would exercise but limited w abs workouts. I did get swelling so I kept taking a day off or reducing workouts. I spoke to my Dr about this recently & she said bc my surgery was extensive, that it would take me 2 years of healing. She told me to continue abs, but if I swell or have disconfort, then dial it back, rest & try another exercise bf resume back again..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register