Just need to vent.....a little... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just need to vent.....a little... Just need to vent.....a little...

Unread 04-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Just need to vent.....a little...

Okay, Im 4 days post surg. I have been having the same probs with bowels as I have read here. I have been taking stool softeners 2 times a day...that makes 4 a day...nothing....tons of water and spinach salads for lunch and dinner. Nothing. I went to Walmart yesterday....big mistake...but got lots of walking in. Nothing. Went to work today to pick up my check and then to the bank...little more walking....Nothing.
I have been nauseous ever since. And I hurt soooooo bad. So as I sat trying to do my business, all I could do was cry. I bawled like a baby. I couldnt stop. Im thinking it has to do with over exhaustion and hormones and everything. So I broke down and did a fleet enema. That worked. I feel better that way, still sore but I dont feel plugged up...LOL...
I am so glad this group exhist. I just needed to vent and get this out. I feel better now.
Thanks for all your support!

Smiles,
Leanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2006, 05:18 PM

I am new to board but I just wanted to cry with you, I had mine on 03/06/06 still having problems. Everytime I would go to the bathroom my kids would come to the door and ask if I was ok, God bless them, if they only knew, but they tried to understand. I wish you luck, you have done much better with the eating, I quit, I looked like a Buddah with my belly because of the b.m. problem. Anyway, chin up and happy venting apparently I have found a place that made me feel like I was not alone.
Unread 04-14-2006, 05:32 PM

I know exactly how you feel...I am a week post surgery today, and had same problem with having bm's...extremely painful and uncomfortable. I quit pain killers, just having strictly ibuprofen now, and after a day and a half of waiting -- have now been having 2 bm's a day, which is more than I used to...and I feel so much better. I think I'm having 2 because I can't really push anything out, just kinda let it fall out for lack of a better way of putting it.. Having a cup of coffee also helps this issue for me..
Went for my first "long" walk today and I feel good about that too. Was great to get out of the house and have some fresh air. Hang in there Leanne, each day does get better...I'm still having some pain, but not as excruciating as it was at first.
Hugs...Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2006, 09:08 PM

It took me either 7 or 8 days to have my first BM after surgery.

I know this is hard to hear, but try to relax. Keep walking, drink the water. Don't overload on the laxatives or stool softeners -- just take the normal doses. This is one case where "more" is not "better".

When you sit down on the toilet, if nothing happens after a few minutes, don't try to force things -- just get up and try again later. Straining can lead to all sorts of other problems.

I'm glad you got relief this time. I hope this is the last time you have to deal with this!
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:06 PM

All bran cereal with my oatmeal for breakfast, water, water and more water, walking, fruit and medamucil. I also put natural yogurt in with my fruit.
Works for me, haven't missed a day. I wish you well!!!
M.
Unread 04-15-2006, 10:19 AM

I was told by the doctor not to worry about a BM the first few days because I had to do a cleansing the night before surgery so that cleaned everything out. If you did this to that might be the reason. I did the stool softener thing too 2 at a time and that did nothing for me either. I'm two weeks post op on Monday. I had a couple small BM's last week but nothing that great. Then Thurs. night I finally tried the milk of magnesia and went really good Friday morning so you might want to try a little of that if you haven't all ready. Good Luck and feel better.
Unread 04-15-2006, 12:52 PM

Stool softeners don't do a thing for me, or for lots of other women. Fiber etc is fine to prevent constipation, but again, it doesn't do a thing once you're already constipated. What works for me is a SMALL dose of milk of magnesia (more is NOT better--go exactly by what the bottle says), which works by drawing water into the bowel. In other words, it's not a stimulant laxative, so it won't cause the kind of painful cramping and dependency that senna, smooth move, and ex-lax can.

MOM alome often isn't enough on its own if you're on narcotics, because they'll have dried the lower stuff out, which will plug you up even though the MOM is doing its job. Adding a glycerine suppository or fleet enema can clear out the lower junk that's blocking everything. A&D ointment (or plain old petroleum jelly) can prevent the rawness and make it easier to pass stuff.

Everyone complains of pain from BMs, constipation and gas after surgery--I sure wish the surgeons and postop nurses would take it seriously and do something to help prevent it.
Unread 04-15-2006, 01:47 PM

raynedove, it really sounds like you are doing way too much. you are only 4 days post op. slow down and rest. yes its okay to do walking, but don't over do, it can make the pain worse which will then make you more emotional. go to the checkpoints on this board and see what you should and should not be doing at weeks 1-2. best wishes
Unread 04-15-2006, 04:07 PM

i also had my tvh on april 10th and was so proud that i had a bowel movement today that i phoned my dh at work to tell him and he was glad for me sounds silly but i know how you feel and i agree with christina_142 you sound like you are doing way tooooo much i feel great(better than i thought i would) but i haven't even left my house yet let alone go to wal-mart to do shopping i am glad you are feeling so good but please remember to take time to pamper the princess

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register