Questions about running post-op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about running post-op Questions about running post-op

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Questions about running post-op

I have thought a similar thing as both of you, Wendy, and Starbgirl.... For me, I am sleeping well, but I just feel SO "blah" almost every day, and I think what my body needs is endorphins!! You know how you feel when you DON'T workout.... you start to feel tired and kind of not with it.... well, I wonder if what i need is to just start working out, and that'll make me feel better and to help get my energy back? I just really can't wait to get the great feeling you feel after a great workout and you're just energized for the rest of the day. I really miss that!!

The problem is when I DO go out and I walk around for a little bit, my body starts to ache. So, it's like a vicious cycle. I feel like my body needs the endorphins to get my energy back, but when I try to do anything of any sort of activity, my body starts to hurt, so then I stop.

grrrrr! Oh well. I do believe there will be a day where I'll be my normal self.... I just have to hope! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Mee too LTR!! I am sooooo adicted to endorphins!! This weekend is the first time I've done a few things and it kicked my booty!! It's going to be a loooong while before I can get the self inflicted booty kicking that in love.

Oh well, a year from now we'll all be on here posting the whoo hoo's!!!

Starbgirl
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:14 AM
good recovery workout

I have a recommendation for you two for a really light workout that might not make you ache so badly. Check your local library for a Leslie Sansone DVD. It is basically walking in place so it is really gentle. I started with one of her videos years ago when my rheumatoid arthritis was so bad I couldn't do much of anything. For a really active person, it will seem like a joke of a workout, but as a recovering person, it might be a good place to start that won't wear you out too much. I didn't buy the belt thing she uses and just improvised with a regular belt and a couple of Therabands, but you could probably just hold a couple of full water bottles and get pretty much the same effect.

I say check the library because you won't need it for long, but they aren't expensive so you could always buy one and pass it on when you are recovered. My mom loved it too.

It isn't exactly a tempo run, but it won't make you feel pounded either and the walking motion should help your abs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the tip Wendy. I'll check it out. You know now that I haven't worked out since October I'm really not in shape anymore, so I'm looking at starting slow. that's why I'm going to try out that restorative Yoga program.

Thanks again,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM

Hi Starbgirl,
I haven't run since the begining of December so I'm not much better off. I was really worried that I would be totally back to square one, but Wednesday, during my I.V. infusion for RA, they took my vitals about 10 times. I was very pleased to see my blood pressure is still around 115/75 so I still have something from when I was working out regularly. Before I started running in May my BP was often in the 130's on the top number, which isn't high, but 115 is MUCH better

I managed over an hour on the recumbent bike today, but needed a cup of coffee becuase I couldn't keep my eyes open this afternoon and I took a nap. With a little luck, I'll sleep!
Unread 03-11-2008, 05:32 AM

I don't know if this will be of help to any of you or not, but here's my tip of the day...
When you are ready to start running again, consider wearing a light girdle or some snug spandex. I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and have started easing back into running. I've been pretty active since 2 weeks post op, but did not run until my dr. gave me the green light. The extra support makes all of the difference, like a good sports bra, ha! I'm combining half running with half eliptical or other lower impact stuff & it's going well so far...slow, but well. I feel good, but I feel "squishy".
I'm interested to see how that restorative yoga works for you...my gym has yoga & pilates, but just the regular kind as far as I know. Those haven't been part of my regimin for awhile, but I've wanted to get back into yoga, just to give myself something different to do.
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:29 AM

Hi Jill,
Good job getting back to your work outs! The tummy support sounds like a great idea for those with an abdominal incision. I don't think it would be helpful for those with a TVH though. I had a prolapse so adding pressure to the abdominal area would be counter productive.

I hear you on feeling squishy. My weight is the same, but I know I've lost muscle and gained fat. I feel so jiggly, yuck!
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Thanks Jill for the idea of support. Where did you get the girdle? What kind is it?

I go to the Dr on Thursday and I cannot wait to ask him about yoga working out etc. As soon as he gives the green light I'm there! I'll let you all know how it is.

Wendy - I'm so glad you were able to maintain your health and BP during recovery. I'm with both of you on the jiggle thing. Since I have been down and sick with complications and another surgery since Nov my muscle tone is really bad. I lost so much weight and consequently alot of lean muscle. I talked to a Nutritionist and she told me to continue to add lots of protien to help rebuild lean muscle.

It will be fun to see hw we do and get it back!! One day we WILL celebrate our return to our former fit lifestyles. We'll be saying remember when......

Starbgirl
Unread 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM

I have lost maybe 2 or 3 pounds since my surgery, which is about what my uterus weighed! I am fine with my weight...would always like to be about 5 pounds lighter, but I still have a weird looking squishy belly. Ugh!! I tried on a bathing suit today, which did wonders for my self-esteem...NOT.
More about my girdle (ugh, I hate admitting I own one)...it's a Hanes level I support (they have 3 levels) and I bought it at Target. They're lycra high waisted briefs and they have a support panel in the tummy. They're u-g-l-y and leave the panty line from you know where, but I'm loving them for my workouts. I'm curious to see how the yoga will go for you...I think I may try and go to a class this week, but they're all in the evening. My body is still not adjusted to working all day and I want to be kind of a couch potato when I get home!
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:32 PM

Thanks Jill. I'll check them out. I feel for you and the couch potato thing. I thought since I got sick on Feb 5th that staying home until March 24th would be awful and that I would be climbing the walls. Now that going back to work full time is a week and a half away - I'm scared!! I have no idea how I'll do that and I'm sure if I were there my booty would be right next to yours on the couch!!!

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register