Scheduled TAH New and scared of general. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and scared of general. New and scared of general.

Unread 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM
New and scared of general.

Hi,
I've recently had date for my TAH, 11th December. Feeling very scared. I have a very large fibroid (30-32 weeks pregnancy equivalent).
Am wondering if any members have had their hysterectomy with an epidural or spinal and no general anaesthetic? I have a phobia of general anaesthetic. The gynaecologist said it would be possible to do it without general, but he didn't think I would like it! I am not sure whether on the day they will agree to it and can't imagine myself giving consent for a general.
I am feeling anxious. I don't want to carry on as I am, but I am so scared about the op! Can anyone reassure? Thanks.

Gosport Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Re: New and scared of general.

Trust me, the general anesthetic was my worst fear, too. I was crazy worrying about the 'what ifs' but I am glad I did it. My only regret was not asking my dr for something calming prior to the surgery. I would do it all over again a thousand times, but I would ask for something to ease my nerves. Please talk to your dr and express your fears about going under, they have heard it all before and there is no shame in wanting something to help calm your nerves. I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way-please know that we all are here for you and will support you through this entire experience. God bless!
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM

I would say keep the options open in your mind and talk to anesthesia in your pre op. my sister who has family history of anesthesia problems had her leg operation done with spinal and with some sedation (so she was awake but didn't hear as much) and she did fine. Her hyster was under general and she did fine there. Hang in there and know there are always meds they can give to relax you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM

I'll be blunt - I asked my doctor the same question. His answer was, "No. You really want to be under general.". He went on to tell me that I should not have to suffer through the back and forth of surgeons, the sounds and the smells of surgery.

Please talk to your doctor about your anxiety. They can come up with a plan to help you through this.
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:32 PM

I had the same fears. Surgery was today and there was a point this morning I was sobbing and almost left! Have you been under general before? Everyone was really understanding and helpful and now I'm glad to be on this side of surgery. If you're even considering this big step it's for a reason, try to focus on that.
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:27 AM

Thank you all for your replies, good wishes and prayers. My phobia was caused by being forced to have 4 teeth removed under gas when I was 10 years old. It was so horrendous that I now equate general anaesthetic with being attacked/ harmed because I did not give my consent. These feelings are out of my rational control.
If there is anyone who has had their TAH with epidural or spinal I would be very interested in your experience. Thanks all.
Unread 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Shame you had such a horrible experience at age 10. Anaesthetics have improved a lot over the years. If it is the mask you are concerned about you can ask if they can put you under by injection instead. Have you considered hypnosis before your surgery both to help with your phobia and to give you self relaxing tools for the day?

I have had previous surgeries by general anaesthetic and one previous with a spinal. Have you been awake for surgery before? It is not for everyone. While I did not feel pain or see anything I was aware of movement which was strange. And you do get to hear and smell what goes on. It didn't bother me that much as I knew in advance that might happen. I also thought it was a bit bizarre to be chatting to the doctors and nurses while the surgery was going on. That surgery was about 40 minutes. There are risks with spinal as well and you do have to lie flat for 12 to 24 hours afterwards when otherwise they would try to get you up and walking even just for a few minutes.

I did ask the same surgeon about doing the hyster with a spinal but he said no. The main reason was that my hyster was complicated with adhesions and endometriosis so was going to take 2 - 3 hours. Too long for a spinal to be a good option. Also he said there was a lot more going on and it would be unpleasant to be awake through it. I took his advice and went for the general anaesthetic. I always ask them to make sure they load me up with anti-nausea medication during and after surgery.

Discuss it with your doctor, see what is possible and make your decision from there. Good luck.
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM

HI,

I had an epidural for both surgeries. I remember being asked to lean forward the first time and that was all until I woke up in the room. This last time, I was in the holding area when they set up the epidural then I was wheeled into the room. I remember seeing the DaVinci machine ( was converted to TAH on the table) and then woke up in recovery.

I have also been given whatever they use for a scope, colonoscopy, and 2 dental surgeries.

I have never had issues.

Good luck to you!
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Thank you very much for your replies Katscoz and WIGAL1266. Yes, I have been thinking about learning some self-hypnosis because I'm still hoping to avoid a general. I had a small op. to remove a large lypoma with local anaesthetic. The surgeon agreed because of my phobia and it was fine. I felt all the pulling and tugging but didn't mind. Anyway, thanks very much for your good advice. How are you both now?
Unread 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM

I truly feel there is a difference between a dentist/oral surgeon's idea of 'general anesthesia' and a hospital general anesthesia. I remember my 2 oral surgeries and wisdom teeth removal but I don't remember a darn thing from my hysterectomy or d+c for that matter. For me they were totally different anesthesias. Just my experience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register