TLH Concerned about doing to much.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about doing to much.. Concerned about doing to much..

Unread 02-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Concerned about doing to much..

I am one week post op..

I have realized today I am entering a new stage of recovery. All my incisions are healed over (i had staples and after removal they weeped slightly for 2 days) I am not in a lot of pain when I get up and move around. I am more tired than anything else. I am dealing with less pain then I did preop with my monster sized fibriods.

I am of course tired. I get up do something and it still wipes me out and I know thats normal. I also know I can't lift stuff. My question is with doing normal every day stuff .I can't go down stairs and do laundry because its in the basement. Will my body tell me not to do something or is there certain actions I should still avoid? I haven't had any discharge or spotting yet but I understand a little is normal. My family is having expectations at times I don't think I can do. We are working on that. I also love my post op wardrobe and i am not ready to give it up. Its really hard not being able to drive right now. I have another week to my doctors restrictions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Re: Concerned about doing to much..

I would suggest going to the home page and watching the videos, there is also a list of things that you should not do. I remember it said do not unload or load dishwasher, and no sweeping the floors, and several other things. Just take it easy, you want your body to heal correctly.
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM

Personally, I found the list of things not to do on this website to be much too restrictive and not at all in keeping with my doctor's orders. Although I was told not to lift, I was not restricted with bending. Therefore, I was certainly capable of unloading a dishwasher (which takes all of 2 minutes anyway), and doing laundry. I had my children carry the laundry basket for me but I was more than capable of loading and unloading the washer and dryer and folding clothes. I had no restrictions on stairs.

Your body won't always tell you what not to do but the most important things to avoid are lifting and things that tax your abdominal muscles like vacuuming, mopping or sweeping. I found I had no problems preparing simple meals after the first week even if it sometimes meant I needed help with things like lifting a heavy pot of water. Taking care of simple chores around the house made me feel much better both emotionally and physically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 06:04 AM

I had a TLH and I made sure I did nothing the first week . I did not drive till 2 weeks and it sure felt great to get out once I could drive. About 10 days I did light housework like folding laundry(hubby did the laundry and I folded it while on the coach he put it away), wiping counter tops, making breakfast for my kids etc. I basically add chores with no lifting, or bending. I found when I did too much I was tired or belly swelling. Please remember if you feel good still do not overdo it as its not worth it. Good luck
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM

I am the same Apple and Lola. My doc said DO stairs, walk, drive after one week. I do the DW but only top rack. Trying to watch body positions and bending too much. I find the worst thing is being up on my feet too long. Body definitely tells you when to slow down
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM

I was told stairs as tolerated, no lifting over ten pounds, no vacuuming, grocery shopping, no exercise. Take stool softeners. I didn't have any staples, skin glue and they look great. I had a lavh and had cervix, tubes and uterus removed, I'm 28 yrs old. Sitting around has become very frustrating for me, as i like to be busy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register