close call | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-06-2001, 01:22 AM
close call

Iam just a few days away from my pre op, LAVH will be 8-13-2001
I was supposed to go in for TAH 8-6-2001 but my family doctor
(who sent me to the gyn with fibroids) told me about the total laparoscopic hyst and how much less invasive it was and wanted to know why I was having the TAH. I told him that the GYN said it was because I have never had children and the fibroids are too large for the surgery. He helped me find another doctor because several of his wifes friends had the same situation as me but had the Lavh with no complications less pain and less down time.

I am so happy to have found a doctor who made me feel good about what is about to happen to me even if I had to go to another state to have it done. Only one doctor in my city would do it, but I felt no confidence from him in his ablility to go through with it. I checked with no less than 20 doctors who were registered at the hospitals with LAVH experience.

I do have a question though.. how are your husbands dealing with this.. I think my husband is actually taking this worse than I am. He is on edge, depressed, and scared. In our 20 years together I have never seen him like this.

I happen to be blessed with an amazing husband, a caring doctor and great friends, now I think I can do this with no problem... so far.

Mokachu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2001, 07:05 AM
close call

Mokachu, I understand where your husband is coming from. I had an LAVH/BSO in April of this year for adenomyosis after over a year of tests trying to find out what was wrong with me. My hubby was a wreck more so because of the unknown. Once I had a diagnosis and knew I had to have a hyster, he became much calmer. He saw how much pain I was in and knew the surgery was my only alternative. He wanted me to have my quality of life given back to me. I am sure once this all sinks in, your DH will accept it as my hubby did. Have him read some of the info on this site so he will become better informed. He loves you and is worried about you and that is very normal. It shows how much he cares. If it will help also have him go to the doctor with you so he can ask any questions he might have concerning all of this. Tell him from all of us sisters here that "you will be fine". Take care and good luck with your surgery.

Emily s for both you and your hubby
Unread 08-06-2001, 09:11 AM
close call

I am so glad your doctor cared enough about you to help you get the surgery that was right for you!

As far as husbands, mine was the same way. Now, bear in mind this is Mr. Tough Guy, never shows emotion, police officer man. He was absolutely terrified. My mother said he even cried when he saw me in the recovery room - he NEVER cries!!!

The things that helped him get through this were having as much information (as far as what to expect) as possible, and focusing on the recovery. I gave him little "projects" to prepare for my recovery at home, and this really helped him focus on the fact that there would BE an after, and that I WOULD be coming home. He did things like getting the guest room ready for me (our bed is WAY too tall for me to sleep in the first couple of weeks), buying LOTS of juices in small containers for me, food, making sure everything I might need is at waist level on a counter so I wouldn't have to bend or reach, etc. Doing these things helped him see that everything was going to be fine, he would get me back home, and that he could help and feel useful, rather than helpless.

Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2001, 04:29 PM
Very helpful

Thanks for the help with my DH I will give him many little jobs to do, I am thinking of some right now!!
What a great idea to focus on the after instead of the before, I think that will help for me as well. lets see... read some mysteries I never get a chance to, finish the website I have been working on and learn a new software program I need for my business that I have put off because I have been too busy. whew! I could go on!

Hugs! thanks!
Unread 08-06-2001, 08:17 PM
close call

I live in Las Vegas too. My surgery was 7-30, my dr. wanted to do the LAVH but I had already had 2 c-sections and lots of adhesions. After surgery she told my husband she was so glad that she did the TAH because of all of that in there would of been no way to do it vag. I have taken no pain killers, only Motrin 800 and none today or yesterday. Feeling pretty good. Do get the gas x tho- it does help alot. Take care and Good luck!
Unread 08-07-2001, 02:18 AM
close call

I am glad you are doing well Chatipatti, I hope I wont need anything stronger than motrin. I am going to buy the gas-x tomorrow along with a few other things on the take to list.. I think my list will be fairly short because I wont be in the castle for very long.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register