Deciding to leave the Cervix or not?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Deciding to leave the Cervix or not?? Deciding to leave the Cervix or not??

Unread 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Deciding to leave the Cervix or not??

I am 39 years old with a thickened endro lining and very heavy bleeding(waiting for the biopsy to come back). I am so anemic that I can not walk to the mailbox with out feeling exhausted and short of breath. My doctor wants me to have a hyst to remove the uterus only. He is almost refusing to remove the ovaries and although giving me a choice, is suggesting to leave the cervix. I am afraid of leaving the cervix and having to be back in for surgery again in a few years and would like to eliminate the possibility of cervical cancer. Can anyone help with their experiences with both leaving and removing the cervix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Re: Deciding to leave the Cervix or not??

Hi Tsc6,

I just had my LH on 5/16. My dr was planning on taking my cervix along with my uterus, ovaries depended on what he found while in there. They were ok & stayed. He left my cervix too. Said it was more support for my pelvic floor. I guess it depends on your family history if there are any problems with cancer? I chose to keep mine no history of problems.

Hope this helps somewhat
Best of luck to you!
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:57 PM

The endometrium comes down into the cervix, so if it is left you run the risk of having a "mini period" every month. And if, heaven forbid, you did have a cervical cancer later it's much harder to remove just the cervix. I left my ovaries but told my MD to go ahead and remove them if he saw something that warranted their removal. He wanted to leave them if at all possible anyway. Do your research and don't ever be afraid to ask for a second or third or even fourth opinion until you are satisfied that you are doing what is best for you! Good luck in your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM

I kept mine and it was the best decision for me. I am so happy with my decision.
Made me recovery so much easier, and sex was unaffected.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:52 AM

I never even considered keeping mine and I don't miss it at all, sex feels no different except that I no longer have jarring pain when my husband reaches the "end of the road" at certain angles and I am not at risk for mini-periods or new fibroids, polyps or adenomyosis in a uterine "stub". (and I'm never, ever again going to have to allow someone to stick an oversized mascera wand in a place God never intended an oversized mascera wand to put inserted !)
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Ultimately it is your decision and your doctor of course, but mine ended up removing everything and I am fine with that decision. I had heard that some women have more problem with urinary incontinence if the cervix is removed, but I haven't experienced that. Nothing feels any different now that it did before.

The big plus is I never will have another Pap test...done with that forever! and my fears of ever having ovarian cancer are gone..When I was told I was having the whole magilla removed it was a bit shocking but in the long run I am so glad it is DONE.

Lee
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM

I kept mine as I have always had normal paps and felt as if there was a chance it offered more support and a quicker recovery time, it was worth hanging on to. My surgeon told me that if it needed to be removed in the future, the procedure was not that extensive.

Looking back, I now wish he would have taken it. I am now recovering from a second surgery just 4 weeks post op due to severe adhesions where my bowels had fused with my cervix. I was in so much pain and had gained 32 pounds of swelling and was miserable. Not knowing I had adhesions going in to my second surgery, I didn't mention anything about removing my cervix.... once I woke up and heard what had happened, I wish he would have taken it out to prevent another round of the same adhesions from forming.

Everyone's bodies react and heal differently though, so that doesn't mean either choice is the right one... just sharing my personal experience and hope others can make decisions based on other's outcomes.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose.
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:10 PM

I pondered the same thing before my surgery.

My Dr. said to remove it. His opinion was that there is no solid proof that it strengthens the pelvic floor,,thats a story thats been going around for years, it eliminates any chance of cervical cancer & you will have no periods.

I did some research and found most people have found sex to be the same and unaffected. (from personal friends and from online articles & this forum)

I did have mine removed.

I think I'm doing just great--my recovery seems to be going even better than some of the DaVinci or Laproscopic ladies.
I went back to work part-time today (4.5 weeks)

And have not regretted my decision so far.

I don't know about intercourse yet, but I do know that I have no problem with lubrication....

Good luck,,I know it can be a hard decision.
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM

Another comment, my doctor told me she attaches the uterine ligaments to the cuff of the vagina and that makes a cradle that helps support things

The ligaments are released from the sides of the uterus, then reattached to the cuff..I actually looked it up on YouTube and watched a surgery where it was done and listened to the doctors comments, she also said there was no proof removing the cervix was a negative thing...

lee
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:30 PM

Dear TSC:

Keeping your cervix (or not) may depend on your diagnosis that has lead you to having a hyst. Here is an article that may help with your decision: Keep your Cervix?

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register