nightmares | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM
nightmares

I'm not sleeping well. I keep having nightmares about my surgery. One minute I feel ok about surgery and the next I'm scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Re: nightmares

Most of us are scared before our surgery and even if we do a great job keeping busy during the day, our nagging fears may sneak up on us in the form of pre surgery nightmares. While we can't control how we "dream" , it definitely helps to try to stay positive during our waking hours. Surround yourself with upbeat positive friends and family. Now is a great time to work on your hobbies or start a new relaxing one that you can also enjoy during recovery, such as crossword puzzles, reading murder mysteries, knitting, decoupage, catching up on Movies, etc.
I know this is all so overwhelming, believe me. I had one month from the time I found out I needed a radial TAH to my surgery date. But I forced myself to keep busy and stay on track. And I'm no super hero.

You can and will do this! Please know we are all here for you!
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM

Hi there,

Do you have a date yet? having a date is important because it allows you to stay busy and know when and what is happening and having a date set may help you relax so you can plan. I had similar problems, nightmares, not sleeping at the beginning of this journey, but once I got my date that seemed to subside some. I also went to the doctor and explained I couldn't sleep and she gave me some light sedatives to help me drift off and get the much needed rest..this may be an option for you as well. My advice...get a date even if you have to push for one...keep busy..take a hot bath before bed to relax muscles and see your doctor for medication if need be....everything else will fall into place. I am 2 weeks until my surgery now..my nerves are a mess as it gets closer but the medication at bedtime does help. And remember your sisters are always here to help you along the way as well....good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Thank you. I find out June 4 when my surgery date will be.
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Hugs and love to you. You're definitely not alone in the scared and nightmare department. I was loaded down with worries and fears. This site as you're finding out (or will find out) is amazing with support from those of us who have been there already - even some who haven't been there yet understand the pains, fears and so on as they have them as well.

Once you get the surgery done, you'll be amazed how much better you will feel. It's an adjustment but surely beats the pains and heavy bleeding and the sort.
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM

There is a great phone app called Calm.com that you might like before you go to bed. Also there are small radios that have preprogrammed sounds of rain, crashing waves, birds....that you could keep on in the background to help lull you to sleep.
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwood View Post
Thank you. I find out June 4 when my surgery date will be.
Good luck and try to leave that day with a date if you are ready to book a date that is. It is nerve racking to have a date too but will make you feel more stable when you can put a plan in place.I was a basket case until I had a firm date lined up...I wish you well...big hugs
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:47 AM
nightmares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciamae View Post
There is a great phone app called Calm.com that you might like before you go to bed. Also there are small radios that have preprogrammed sounds of rain, crashing waves, birds....that you could keep on in the background to help lull you to sleep.
Thank you. I listen to music last night while lying in bed and fell asleep. Last night no nightmares. I woke up a lot but no nightmares

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register