Help Getting Sick | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Getting Sick Help Getting Sick

Unread 08-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Help Getting Sick

Hi Ladies

Okay I need your help quick, I'm starting to get a little cold or sinus or whatever and I really don't want any presciption meds so does anyone have any good old fashion home remedies that I can use.

I have a very sore throat, itchy ears, congestions with drainage in my throat (sorry to be so graphic and ucky) but I need to clear this up quickly and I'm not having much help with some of the otc stuff.

I know that you can have a sore throat after surgery, I sure don't want one going in . I also don't want my surgery canceled or postpone or anything like that so help!!! please please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Help Getting Sick

Hello, I drink hot tea when I feel that way. Put some honey and lemon in it. I have a had a cough since my surgery and trust me it hurts like heck when you cough afterwords. Also you may want to call your dr and see if he has any ideas. Hope you get to felling better soon.
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Help Getting Sick

Hi, I get allergies all the time and have taken prescription meds and lots of others but the best that works for me is from Costco. It is the Kirkland Allergy Sinus Multi-Symtom pills. It comes in a two pack together for around $5.00 and you get 2 boxes of 144 pills in each box. My box has item #111278. Don't know if I'm supposed to recommend a brand cuz I'm new here but these work for me really well. They may make you tired or not, different with everyone. Good luck and what about Vit. C especially Ester-C just to stay healthy. I think I'll go take one myself since I am going in soon as well and quite scared!! Be well~~jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Help Getting Sick

Well, if it IS just a cold you have why don't you try some homemade chicken soup? I take a chicken (unless it's organic, it's full of antibiotics), some potatoes, carrots, and soup greens, and boil together with LOADS of each of the following seasonings: garlic, onion, ginger, and cayenne pepper--except for the latter, put in as much of these seasonings as your taste buds can stand. This is medicinal chicken soup which someone else may not like but which always works for me those rare times I may be coming down with a cold. If you'll look them up you'll see that each of the seasonings have great disease-fighting abilities. I swear by my soup, and so does everyone who makes it for themselves whenever they're coming down with something.
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Help Getting Sick

The chicken soup sounds good, except if you're within a week of surgery, you might want to cut waaaaaay back on the garlic. I believe that garlic is a natural anti-coagulant... not recommended to use a lot of it the week before surgery.
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Help Getting Sick

i agree with the hot tea - will make you feel better, especially with honey. and, lots and lots and lots of fluids!!!

i also take airborne when i feel the least bit of something going on. does it really work? it seems to work for me! and if i still get the cold, it reduces the severity (i believe!).

zinc lozenges may also help with your sore throat.

hope you're feeling better soon!
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Help Getting Sick

I was going to mention the airborne as well, but not sure about the herbs in it right before surgery??? Maybe someone out there knows more than I do about that issue. Chicken soup sounds good, didn't think of it cuz it's still kinda hot here still, but that sounds yummy quick question off subject...how do you post on the main page where it shows about 5 in a row? am I making any sense?? thanks ladies~~jenny
Unread 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Help Getting Sick

All of the remedies suggested so far are wonderful. The fact that you have itchy ears, sore throat, and post nasal drip makes me think you might be dealing with a ragweed allergy. Sudafed, or Benadryl will alleviate those symptoms. They can actually be taken at the same time. It's probably a trial and error thing to see what will work for you. By the time you figure it out, it'll probably be gone! You still have almost a month before surgery so don't worry too much. Up your vitamin C intake. Drink lots of water. Walk. I hope you feel better soon.

Tracy
Unread 08-18-2007, 06:38 PM
thanks

Hello sisters

Thanks for all the suggestion for getting better. I'm going to put them to use. Here in Indiana the weather has drop to the 60's quickly we've been in the 90's with humdity for the last two weeks and all of a sudden this so the chicken soup is more then welcomed.

I'm a few weeks out from my visit to the castle and I'm trying hard not to put anything in my system that I don't have to. Just a little note I had this terrible dream last night that I was in the castle and a nurse was trying to give me drugs to help. In my dream I start beating her in the chest to get her away from me, telling her no. Well my husband woke me said I was pounding him in his chest yelling no no.

So you can see how freaked out I am about this whole thing that little things have me frazzled. So thanks ladies I'm typing and siping my tea and honey.
Unread 08-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Help Getting Sick

I had the same thing flare up about a week before, I called my regular Dr and he gave me an antibiotic that you take for three days, but lasts for 10 (I forgot the name). He also had to treat me for high blood pressure just so I could do the surgery, when I saw the anesthesiologist the morning of surgery, I had everything written down (name, how much taken/mg) for him so he would know what was in my system before hand and everthing went great, and he was really surprised I was so prepared, but I had heard the anesthesiologist is the one that calls all the shots right up to surgery, so if he didn't like something I had or was on, it wasn't the Surgeon cancelling it, it was him. Do what you can to be better before surgery, the coughing or sneezing after the surgery won't be worth that you didn't want to take something, then be ready the morning of with all your info. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register