worse PMS symptoms after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

worse PMS symptoms after surgery worse PMS symptoms after surgery

Unread 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM
worse PMS symptoms after surgery

I'm at the end of my rope and not sure what to do. It's been almost 10 weeks since my TAH and for the past 2 weeks, I've been dealing with increasingly bad PMS symptoms. The moodiness has reached a point where I'm mad all the time, at the phone ringing, at missing the green light, at having to get up in the morning. My weight increased 5lbs in 2 days and won't budge. My breasts have increased by 2 inches and hurt so bad I can't bear to touch them. At night I'm either sweating or so cold I'm shaking.

Now all of these sypmtoms are normal PMS symptoms for me but not to this degree. And they always lasted about a week but now I'm heading into week 3!! And of course since there will be no period to signal the end of PMS...I have no idea how long I'm supposed to try and cope.

My surgeon said that since I kept my ovaries, I shouldn't have any difficulties hormonaly with anything being out of balance. But I KNOW these are all sypmptoms of something being out of wack.

So help sisters, help! Is this normal? Does it settle down given time? I'm going to see my regualr doctor and request he check my hormonal levels so at least I'll know if this is all in my head or if there's something really going on. I hate feeling this way. I hate not recognizing this body I now inhabit. And I hate this feeling of everything being out of control.

Was this surgery worth it? Maybe I should have just left well enough alone?

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Re: worse PMS symptoms after surgery

My dr. told me that I will still have PMS because I still have my ovaries. He told me that it is very normal for the breast to get sore and the moodiness to occur. He didn't tell me how long it will last.
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:01 PM

When I started going thru menopause 2 years ago, it felt like I had PMS that wouldn't stop. I felt like I had a case of road rage, even when I wasn't driving . My dr. put me on BCPs and it helped greatly. I don't know why a dr. would say you wouldn't have PMS if you've kept your ovaries but perhaps you should chat with him again. It sounds like the ovaries are working overtime right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2009, 12:06 PM

I talked to my doctor about my PMS (MOODINESS!) because I knew that keeping my ovaries, I was still going to go through that every month. He suggested a vitamin called Optivite PMT. I had to buy it online through amazon. I have been taking it for almost 4 weeks, and I have to say, my irritability decreased DRAMATICALLY this cycle. Last month, everybody I looked at was on my very last nerve. This month I was really not edgy AT ALL. I have never really suffered much from other PMS symptoms - (cramps, tender breasts), but I really do think this vitamin is helping me overall. Besides, it is a good multivitamin which I need to take every day anyway.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register