Adeno and lots of questions. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adeno and lots of questions. Adeno and lots of questions.

Unread 01-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Adeno and lots of questions.

I have always had really horrible periods. Not too much pain but I also tore my acl and did not know it because it just felt like a sprain. This episode started when i went to a new gyno on the recommendation of the dr treating me for anemia. They put me on birth control the first month no problems, the second month I had break through bleeding so they changed my pills. About Dec 6 I had a huge bleed where I bleed so much that I thought I might die. I have seen a lot of heavy periods but this was crazy. I passed clots the size of grapefruits for about 3 days. i went to the on call gyno and they were no help. they put me on some hormones for 7 days but that really did not do much. Last week I went to another dr and he put me on provera (80 mgs per day) and had me have an ultrasound. After being on provera for a week and not stop bleeding I talked to the dr he called the ultrasound place and got a basic read of my results. Apparently I have generalized adeno and my uterus is slightly larger than normal. I have no children I have had 5 miscarriages with 1 going into the 6 month. I am getting myself together for the appt that I will have with him either Weds or Thursday ( i have to call the office tomorrow and get one.)
The provera gives me a headache but finally after upping it to 100 mgs per day my period has stopped after almost 60 days of bleeding. I am vvery enemic and tired of the bleeding but was wondering if I have to go all the way for a tah or if there is another way. I am just scared and don't know if I am ready to part with my female organs. could this surgery be done as a tvh as well? any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I was also wondering if adeno could be mistaken for gallbladder i was to have that out in dec but i was too anemic to do so. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2007, 08:26 PM

The one thing I've heard here many times is that adeno cannot be accurately diagnosed until a hysterectomy. I would start by questioning that I think.
I see you had an ultrasound and I'm wondering what other kind of diagnostics have been done for you --- bloodwork, Pap, uterine biopsy, lap, hysteroscopy???
Unread 01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
test

Ihave had blood work, vaginal ultrasound, pap, mri. I guess why they think adeno is because enlarged uterus is on sign and sympton of adeno. Appartenly, the adeno doesn't allow the uterus to clamp down and stop bleeding I have no fibroids to the ultasound or mri.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2007, 08:11 AM

OK I see. You had asked too if it could be done vaginally. That would be possible because you don't have fibroids or cancer. However, many doctors do not attempt a tvh if the woman has not delivered vaginally.
The pain of gallbladder and adeno could be similar I suppose, but of course the bleeding would not be caused by gallbladder.
I guess I'd be getting on the dr. to stop the bleeding and get your bloodcounts up (which I'm sure you already have) and then maybe you and your dr. can decide what to do.
Have you tried Tranexamic Acid? I was given that for a massive clotting episode. The clots stopped after just one dose and the bleeding stopped after about 4 days. It might be worth mentioning to the dr.
Please keep us posted.
Unread 01-02-2007, 09:02 AM
adeno

No my haven't tried the acid. My bleeding finally has stopped with the 100 mg of provera (2 days no bleeding, knock on wood) I just really want to know how much info do I need to know before I make the huge jump to tah? I forgot I also had a ct scan with contrast. I did not know if once I get the report from ultrasound should I go for 2nd opion? I heard that the hormones can make you feel yucky and they give me a headache........... So, I really don't want to go that way if possible. I'm just trying to go into the office as informed as I can be. Looking at the web it seems that the only sure solution is tah or tvh.....
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Before having a hyst, I would seek out a second surgical opinion to insure there are not other options available for you and that a hyst is the right choice for you and that they hyst type is the right one for you. There are also lap hyst options that your doctor(s) might consider.

If you keep your ovaries, you could should be able to avoid surgical menopause and thus not need the hormones. You would want to discuss your ovaries and how you feel on horomones with your doctor(s).

We do have Adeno Resources you might want to read through if that is what your doctor suspects.

I wish you the best and hope your CT scan results give you and your doctor(s) a better idea of what might be going on! in there! s
Unread 01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
dr appt tomorrow

I am very nervous as my doctor appt is tomorrow. I guess all the options will be laid out in front of me. I think since I have not stopped bleeding after 60 days I am going to take the conservative approach right now and then play the wait and see game. I am so exhausted that I don't think surg. is an option for me right now. I just hope I don't have another episode of all the nasty stuff.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register