Scheduled TAH Surgery on Monday...any tips? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery on Monday...any tips? Surgery on Monday...any tips?

Unread 12-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Surgery on Monday...any tips?

I'm 26 and went to the doc on Weds and now I'm scheduled for TAH w/ Salpingo-oopherectomy. I haven't really had a chance to process it all I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on post op and what to expect when I'm in the hospital. They plan on keeping me for 3 days. What did you eat while you were in the hospital? That is one of my biggest concers since I have food allergies...and the catheter is my other worry...yuck.

Thanks for any help
to be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Re: Surgery on Monday...any tips?

I ordered the hyster pamplet here that tells you everything to ask and expect from pre op to post op week by week groups (1&2) etc. This site also has checkpoints, which tell you what to expect as well.

As far as food, here's what I experienced. I had a TAH, left both ovaries and one fallopian tube (I lost my right one in 1999 from an ectopic tubal pregnancy) so this was my 2nd abdominal surgery. This by far...was the motherload of surgeries in my life.

Day one-surgery day from the OR. I was on full liquids that day and night. Chicken broth never tasted so good. At my hospital they gave you a menu to browse, then you called down for "room service" to bring you a tray of goodies. full liquids consisted of jello, broth, and juice/water/hot tea.

Day two, they upgraded me to semi-liquids. I could opt for apple sauce, and softer foods, I've forgotten what was on that menu. Bottom line, you won't have much of an appetite at all. My husband ate most of what they brought me, I had maybe....2 bites?

Day three they upgraded me to the full menu. I ordered mashed potatoes, pudding, and i think chicken salad w/out onions on some bread. I can't really remember, but again I ate about half the sandwhich and two bites of the pudding. Let them know of the food allergies in your pre op appointment.

You can ask at your pre op-(mine was done at the hospital I would be staying at) for the menu, and they can provide you with information then. I had three menus, full liquids, semi-liquids, and full.

Pizza was never on my menu...but my family got to chow on it in the cafeteria LOL

I wish you good luck on your surgery. I'm 35, and probably need this at 30, but they did not know what was wrong. Keep us updated on your progress and questions!
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM

I will keep posting....Surgery is on Monday, so I'll be gone for a few days after I get out of the hospital...I'm sure I'll lay around for a few days anyways lol Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM

I've been laying around for 4 weeks. hahahah. It's definately the motherload of surgeries if you're having it done abdominally. All I can say is..egg nog and brandy my friends.....
Unread 12-10-2010, 04:52 PM

I would do something fun and mindless this weekend. It will help you with the stress over the surgery. Best wishes, and let us know how you are doing.
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmccorm View Post
I would do something fun and mindless this weekend. It will help you with the stress over the surgery. Best wishes, and let us know how you are doing.
Defineatly! We went out to a restaurant the night before and had fun (my nursing staff aka my family LOL).

Just don't eat spicy food and don't over do it, and I didn't have garlic or alcohol either. I did not want to be a gas fest in the OR. LOL
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Good Luck!!! My surgery is on Tuesday. My husband and I are going to dinner on Sunday, since I have to do a bowel prep on Monday. I understand about the food allergies. I have environmental allergies, as well as a peanut allergy.
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Hi and may you have a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Ok, the hospital dietary staff should be made aware of the fact that you have food allergies and what type of food allergies you have before serving you any food. I am sure that when they did your pre-op that this was discussed. So, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

The dreaded catheter . . . when I woke up in recovery, I think the first thing I asked was if I had catheter. The nurse told me yes. Well, I didn't feel it the entire time it was in me, and when the nurse removed it, I didn't feel it then either. I guess it was put in me while I was in the OR, but it never bothered me. I will admit that I was glad that it was there. It was removed shortly before they wanted to get me up and walking. It was never an issue!

Again, best wishes to you and hope to hear from you when you come home from the castle. Don't forget to pamper the princess!
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks 7:30 in the morning is my report time....Got some butterflies going but I'm trying not to be too nervous
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Oh Boy I suddenly feel nervous for you! I have my Pre-Op tomorrow and I too have many questions... Seems like you think you know what to expect until it is your turn... I will be thinking of you tomorrow~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register