Vaginal cuff repair #2... Emergency surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal cuff repair #2... Emergency surgery Vaginal cuff repair #2... Emergency surgery

Unread 07-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Vaginal cuff repair #2... Emergency surgery

Sooo... twice in 10 weeks I have had surgery for my vaginal cuff. The first led to peritonitis and was not just torn, it was ripped off! The doctors asked if I had sex with foreign objects I said NO!!! The first repair was done by a general surgeon bc they thought initally it was a perforated bowel. So on July 3rd, I could hardly breathe, I could feel a popping sound in my lungs and was cramping and had vaginal drainage w an odor.. AGAIN! They did a chest x-ray and found air, I was admitted, my new GYN (who didnt perform the first repair) saw me and couldnt believe it. Again he asked if I had sex with foreign objects, I again said NO! He did a vaginal exam and found a small hole. I had been telling him for weeks I did not feel right. I still had diarrhea, cramping, fatigue etc... I saw him in his office two days prior and he asked if maybe I had fibromyalgia, I got really frustrated bc I had never felt like this in my life well since I had my hyst in Jan. He did a bladder test to make sure I didnt have a fistula where he injected dye into my bladder then put a tampon in to see if there was blue dye. That was negative and I was thankful but still was at a loss as to why I was not improving. He seemed frustrated and told me he would send me to a gastro and a urologist and if those were ok that he would do an exploratory lap. I was cramping just from the tampon. I left his office just frustrated. So two days later is when it happened again as mentioned above. He found during surgery that my sigmoid colon had adhered to the vaginal cuff pulling it making a hole. I am at a loss at this point. He had to shorten my vagina, this is the second time. I wonder if I will ever be able to have sex again. Is this going to happen again? My doctor had NO idea about silver nitrate to heal the vaginal cuff. I am wondering if there is another repair or something they can put in to keep that in place. I just knew something was not right for weeks and nobody listened just like last time, then what I knew was right happened. I am just at a loss and have no idea what to do.. My kids have already suffered enough through these months of me being sick. I just wonder.. When will it EVER end??? V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Re: Vaginal cuff repair #2... Emergency surgery

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Its frustrating when they won't listen and ask insulting questions. I hope you can heal completely and not have further problems. Sending hugs.
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks babes, I know! I'm having such a hard time. The more I read (bc I've been up all night in pain) some women have reaccuring issues w this! I'm wondering if there is something like mesh?? They can put it so I won't keep having these issues. I told him weeks ago right after I had a hematoma by the cuff that I was sure it was not better, then he asked if I was having anxiety then cultured it and guess what.. They called the next day bc it was positive for bacteria! Then the next week I go in w raging diarrhea, n/v and he acts super irritated like I'm making these symptoms up. And sends me for another CT which I didn't need. Then it has to end in all of this! I can't wait to go to my office visit and tell him.. When a women tells u something is wrong and they have a gut instinct YOU LISTEN!!!! And appearently all the doctors in that office know who I am bc I've had a rare case. Sorry, I'm just going off. I'm really angry. This makes surgery #6 since last August! I'm 34 and feel like I'm 84!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2010, 07:10 PM

i feel like freaking after hearing this. I am a little over 3 months post op and I have been having granulation issues and diarrhea for over a month now. The diarrhea is better but it was constant every time I ate anything for almost a week! Now it comes and goes. I think I may have colon damage too but the doctor doesn't seem to think so. I think I am going to have him schedule me for GI dr visit next week when I go back for yet another silver nitrate treatment. I have pain today that has been awful. Sharp stabbing pains in vagina and when I bend over I feel like something is scratchy near my butt hole I am sick of this.
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Oh mercy. I'm so sorry that you ladies are having these types of problems. I can't understand MD's not understanding or giving some credence to a person's intuition about their body. Makes me glad I kept my cervix. Dang.

Hugs.
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Evana52, you need to call or dr in the am to get in asap! Print off all of my posts if you have to! And the others who have gone through what I have. The problem is this is so rare, nobody know what to do!! I have problems healing and feel the same way you do. Do u use an estrogen vaginal cream? I read that helps heal. My dr won't listen about the silver nitrate! What is wrong with these incompetant dr's?? Hope you feel better! Hugs v
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Also, are there any GYN's that READ UP on the latest treatments?? Come on its 2010!!
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:53 PM

valkhub:

What an ordeal you've been having and bless you for taking the time to share your story with us, despite all the pain you are having right now! I sure am sorry that you have had to go through all the additional surgery/emergencies and have had the frustration with the doctor(s), to boot.

You didn't give your firstname, but I'm praying for you by your username. I sure hope and pray that you heal up and feel better soon. Keep us posted!

Unread 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM

Evana52:
Gosh, you have also been through the wringer. I hope that you can get some answers at the doctor's appt. next week. You've definitely found someone who can empathize (unfortunately) in valkhub. Good thoughts and prayers to you! Keep us posted!
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:13 PM

Thank you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register