What will I feel like eating after surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What will I feel like eating after surgery? What will I feel like eating after surgery?

Unread 08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
What will I feel like eating after surgery?

Hi Cindy!
For the first 2 weeks post-op I ate soup, soup and.......more soup! Chicken with rice was the one I ate most the first week, and then I "graduated" to adding cream of chicken soup and tomato soup with crackers. I drank tons and tons of water and when I felt up to it, I drank orange juice.

They gave me Colace in the castle and it worked so good that I continued taking it once I returned home.

Best of luck to you......just think....you will be a princess soon and you can move on to a better quality of life......

Take care,

's

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Thanks for all of your great ideas. I actually love prunes so I will add those to my list. I kinda thought I would be eating alot of soups. I worry about these gas pains, my mother had a hyst 30 years ago and that is the only thing I remember is her screaming on day 2 with stomach pains. I hate this waiting!!! Cindy
Unread 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM

I haven't read the other replies, so ignore me if this is a duplicate.

From my experience post-lap (4 times), I suggest starting light and working more heavier foods in gradually. Your bowels are slowed down from the GA and the lighter you eat in the beginning, the less apt your are to become constipated the week after your surgery. My last lap, I was strict about this and avoided stool softeners.

HTH,
Rhonda
Unread 08-23-2005, 07:25 PM

Just a question : I have noticed several ladies suggesting stay away from sweets. What is the reason for this? Also, several ladies recommend Jello. Doesn't that count as sweets?
I'm just trying to figure this out as I need all the advice I can get.
Thanks
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:16 PM

I ate sugar free jello as I use sugar free sodas, sweeteners and so forth by choice...I don't think that was on my initial posting. They brought me sugared jello in the hospital, but I couldn't deal with it. My stomach was way upset!
Unread 08-25-2005, 12:10 AM

The days and weeks after surgery, I was hungry but I did not have much of an appetite. I went grocery shopping before my surgery and that worked out well because you won't be shopping right after surgery, that's for sure. I really enjoyed having "ready made" meals...things that I could just pop in the microwave and eat because I could not stand for long periods of time to cook a meal. I loved microwave meals, microwave soups, bagels and cream cheese, etc...you know, quick things like that. I also drank a lot of juice. My family was great and they brought over meals for my first week after I returned home...that helped A LOT. God bless.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register