Scheduled LAVH binder vs. compression undies after hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

binder vs. compression undies after hysterectomy binder vs. compression undies after hysterectomy

Unread 05-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Re: binder vs. compression undies after hysterectomy

You will heal up well with or without a binder. I had a binder in the hospital and wore it for a day or so at home.
There are lots of undies out there with a little support. One great one is Flexis and you can get them at Costco.
I also wanted my tummy muscles to do some work on their own and not be dependent on the binder.
I really think it is more of a personal preference in how tight you want something, or how it makes you feel.
Good luck with your decision. I am sure whatever you do, it will be right for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2014, 05:45 AM

I had a LAVH/BSO also 3 weeks ago.. really had no pain with incisions as they are so small. and really did not have a lot of pain, just big ol belly ..; I have found Commando was the best option for me, I had read many post before my surgery of women going commando, now I understand why.. It really is more comfortable.. you may be really surprised at how uneventful the pain can be with the LAVH.. TAH would be a totally different story. mine just went really well.. Only problems I have had is the complications after surgery b/c of stress on my body that put me in the hospital 3 times after surgery for Diverticulitis.. which was way more painful than the actual hysterectomy.. My hysterectomy is going well. And I found I did not like pressure on my belly at all.. You will probably need to see how you feel after. The first two days were painful, after that, no pain.. Just did not like anything on my belly at all.. and I have never been one to go commando.. I wouldnt rush out to buy a bunch of panties or binders until you see how you feel first, of course this is only my opinion from my own experience.. GOOD LUCK to you. hope you have an uneventful surgery with a speedy recovery
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:55 AM

I had my surgery tues and by Tuesday night was back in my bikini panties. seems to me granny panties wouod put more pressure on my belly then my little low panties. I do think I'm going to play with binding for when out of bed, to reduce belly jiggle. I actually feel less swollen and bloated then I did before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2014, 08:44 AM
binder vs. compression undies after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherisgarden View Post
I would like to know if those who DIDN'T use one were plus-size? Sz 18/1X and up.
I'm a size 20 (down from a 28!) and have a lot of extra belly skin. I had the DiVinci on 5/5 so my incisions are on
My waistline. I'm having a lot of problems when I move around and my belly jiggles. I'm debating buying a binder.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:06 PM

THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was expecting to hear. Makes sense that a little more weight pulling/pushing down and jiggling would need the support/restraint. I'm a size 22 and will definitely get SOMETHING to counter that while I heal.
Unread 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Well, I'm day 4 post op from a LAVH. I recommend a binder. My nurse told me that not all doctors order them for lap patients, but that mine did and she recommended. It just gives you a sense of security and really helps with getting up and rolling over. I have a little swelly belly but I think it's minimal. I've been a maniac with the ice packs. I'm a huge believer in the power of ice for inflammation. Start ice therapy in the hospital ASAP. Take Ziploc bags in case the nurse has issues getting an ice bag from central supply (about 4 hours for me). Send husband or buddy to the floor ice machine if nurse is too busy. (Most of the time) Anyway, other than a major setback yesterday with a bladder/kidney infection, I'm doing great. Have had minimal pain and swelling and am getting around great. So, my two big tips...."Ice, Ice, Baby" and a binder.
Unread 05-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Re: binder vs. compression undies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjosephson View Post
Would binding or the control top (like spanx type) underwear help prevent swelly belly?
Now I had a robotic hysterectomy and a few months later a laparoscopic cystectomy and I found that spanx type underwear really helped. Not immediately after the surgery but about 3-4 weeks out when you're insides still feel kind of mixed up and it can be painful. I didn't think I'd like having my insides compressed but I actually slept in my spanx for probably three weeks after the surgery because it allowed me to be nearly pain free at night. I also tend to sleep on my side or stomach so when everything was still tender, it could be difficult to find a comfortable position.
Unread 05-15-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelLissa70 View Post
Swelly belly is the swelling all through the abdomen that you get from the trauma of surgery. For some of us, it is quite noticeable after being up and about and in the evenings. And yes, at times it is bad and can make you look 5 months pregnant!! I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op and the swelly belly is getting better, but still there as the day goes on. They say it can last for months as it takes months to completely heal inside.

As for a binder, early on I wanted no part of anything tight on my belly. I was tender, not just my incisions either, and there were days that my yoga pants were snug and annoying. I am a true believer in starting off in ginormous, large enough to turn into curtains later, passion killer, granny panties!! They allowed for the swelling and no elastic across tender incisions. 😇
I had my surgery in November and I would swell up, particularly after a stressful day, all the way up until March. Although it also turned out I had a huge cyst on one of my ovaries so that also had some impact. I was a fan of boxer briefs. The waist band was high enough to miss my incisions and still let me cover up. Now I just have a lot of jammie shorts!
Unread 05-15-2014, 04:06 PM

I just wore low rise undies as my incisions were above the naval. My swelling was pretty gone in a month. I'm at 8 weeks and wearing my normal clothes.
Unread 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgunther View Post
I'm a size 20 (down from a 28!) and have a lot of extra belly skin. I had the DiVinci on 5/5 so my incisions are on
My waistline. I'm having a lot of problems when I move around and my belly jiggles. I'm debating buying a binder.
My doctor told me no binding. I ended up rolling up a bed sheet and wedging it under my belly when I sleep. It took about a week to be able to sleep on my side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register